Specs & Pics for Atmos Towers & Modules

Nismo

With the small driver/cabinet size and minimal specs of the RP-140SA, it would seem that anyone with even an old pair or two of KG 1.5's or 2.5's would be good to go. And other than working on placement in your room and having them fire upward at a slight angle (20-30 degrees?) there doesn't seem to be anything special about these Atmos speakers.

I know I haven't read through the whole Dolby Atmos specs on their website. But is there anything different (electrically or crossover wise) that makes these Atmos "modules"?

Just wondering...

With the small driver/cabinet size and minimal specs of the RP-140SA, it would seem that anyone with even an old pair or two of KG 1.5's or 2.5's would be good to go. And other than working on placement in your room and having them fire upward at a slight angle (20-30 degrees?) there doesn't seem to be anything special about these Atmos speakers.

I know I haven't read through the whole Dolby Atmos specs on their website. But is there anything different (electrically or crossover wise) that makes these Atmos "modules"?

Just wondering...

I agree about the versatility and that quite a few people could benefit from the add-ons and like they are wood veneer. I also think the Atmos details are going to be in the specs, which some aren't going to be published. I'm not sure there is anything different in the crossovers but it appears that not as much power is required to drive the add-ons--at least that appears to be the marketing.  My 3 cents.

Edited by Zen Traveler

It's all very Bosey, direct/reflecting to me.  Maybe Amar was ahead of his time after all.

Keep in mind that Atmos technology is here to stay regardless if there is a big audience in Home Theater...That said, I've followed the threads over at AVS and folks that like Movies at Home or in the Theater rave about the "object based technology" and even the Dolby Atmos Surround format for legacy material is getting outstanding reviews...

Heck, I even saw Roy Delgado excited about the format on one of these threads.

It's all very Bosey, direct/reflecting to me.  Maybe Amar was ahead of his time after all.

Keep in mind that Atmos technology is here to stay regardless if there is a big audience in Home Theater...That said, I've followed the threads over at AVS and folks that like Movies at Home or in the Theater rave about the "object based technology" and even the Dolby Atmos Surround format for legacy material is getting outstanding reviews...

Heck, I even saw Roy Delgado excited about the format on one of these threads.

Plus, talk to anyone who experienced the Atmos demo at CES... most came away impressed. And almost all demo's were with presented with upward firing speakers (vs. overhead) options. The upward firing speakers are a new category & they are a strong viable option. As with any format, software & authoring account for 50% of the equation, but when done right... the end result is noticeably different/improved when compared to the same source material in DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1, etc.

I've been playing with it for 9 months now & enjoy the experience it provides. Wide dispersed ceiling speakers, upward firing speakers, wall mount speakers (pointed down), heck direct radiating speakers perched on top of your existing towers (at an upward pointed angle) all work with Atmos. Having just a pair up front, or 2 fronts combined with 2 rear, 6, 10, 12 or more.... speaker placement & configuration is flexible with Atmos. Its all about  changing from discrete channel based formats with audio & switching to "object based" audio... not restricted to dedicated channels. A great authored disc moves audio around my room in ways I've not experienced before. Not to be left out, DTS is getting ready to launch their own object-based format: DTS-UHD. Competing formats will push sound designers to deliver a quality, immersive product moving forward.

Plus, talk to anyone who experienced the Atmos demo at CES... most came away impressed. And almost all demo's were with presented with upward firing speakers (vs. overhead) options. The upward firing speakers are a new category & they are a strong viable option. As

Funny you say that-- I remember reading the first two Atmos Home Theater reviews that came from different coasts on AVS and while all gave it good reviews, one group overwhelmingly liked the upfiring speakers, while the other liked the on-ceiling better by a good majority who posted...Interesting. :)

Edited by Zen Traveler

Plus, talk to anyone who experienced the Atmos demo at CES... most came away impressed. And almost all demo's were with presented with upward firing speakers (vs. overhead) options. The upward firing speakers are a new category & they are a strong viable option. As

Funny you say that-- I remember reading the first two Atmos Home Theater reviews that came from different coasts on AVS and while all gave it good reviews, one group overwhelmingly liked the upfiring speakers, while the other liked the on-ceiling better by a good majority who posted...Interesting. :)

Thats interesting. I didn't catch any of the forum chatter (tough to compare 2 different setups on opposite coasts), but I spoke to a couple of installers who experienced upward firing demo's (from both this year & last year) & they said it was great. Ceiling speakers provide a great option with Atmos, however a convention center or movie theater has the benefit of a large (unlimited) space to expand & move sound around in an overhead space with 10-12-14 or more speakers. Scaling that experience down to a smaller home environment with lower ceilings, overhead options will disperse differently. Luckily its flexible enough to translate to a multiple number of spaces & configurations... making both ceiling or upward firing speakers effective options. Plus, you can do a lot with placement,  channel levels & crossovers to make any necessary adjustments to fill the room with immersive sound.

Edited by Nismo

I wonder if there are any plans for different finishes. I can't imagine these modules looking good with any of the more recent lines other than Reference Premiere. As much as I would like to try Atmos, I don't think I'd be too keen on placing this on top of the RF-7ii unless the finish matched.  

Edited by ebdixson
  • Like 1

I wonder if there are any plans for different finishes. I can't imagine these modules looking good with any of the more recent lines other than Reference Premiere. As much as I would like to try Atmos, I don't think I'd be too keen on placing this on top of the RF-7ii unless the finish matched.  

At this stage Atmos is a niche product, with a small segment of the HT customer. I'm sure during the initial rollout finishes will be limited & could expand in the future as demand increases. The new Walnut Towers are nice, but they're not going to replace my RF-7's. Luckily for me my RF-7's are Black, so the modules (despite being vinyl-polymer) the match up well with the Black veneer. 

I do have a question for Jay L

What separates the existing RP-450C... from the new RP-450CA?

I can't imagine there is an integrated "height" or elevation speaker on top of the center.

Just curious on the differences & what makes the new version a "CA".

I do have a question for Jay L

What separates the existing RP-450C... from the new RP-450CA?

I can't imagine there is an integrated "height" or elevation speaker on top of the center.

Just curious on the differences & what makes the new version a "CA".

my guess would be that is in a matching walnut veneer that's all

my guess would be that is in a matching walnut veneer that's all

That's a good call. I imagine someone who has the need for towers & picks up the new Walnut Atmos Towers... would want/need a matching Walnut Center. Perfect scenario for those upgrading F & C, or expanding to a 2nd room, or killer option for someone starting fresh. The Walnut with Cooper looks great!

Edited by Nismo