Specs & Pics for Atmos Towers & Modules

Nismo

The RP-450CA is the same as the non "A" version except for the veneer option. Klipsch felt it appropriate to match the LCR finishes for the Atmos line.

As for the magic in the crossovers, yes their is. And NO I will not speak of it as that may cross the line with Dolby IP. What I will say is part of the magic that makes them work, is the reason a traditional speaker won't work as well. Dolby has spoken very highly of our designs.Our Dolby Enabled Atmos speakers are a step up above the rest. The contents of the speakers alone should speak to that compared to other options on the market.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The RP-450CA is the same as the non "A" version except for the veneer option. Klipsch felt it appropriate to match the LCR finishes for the Atmos line.

As for the magic in the crossovers, yes their is. And NO I will not speak of it as that may cross the line with Dolby IP. What I will say is part of the magic that makes them work, is the reason a traditional speaker won't work as well. Dolby has spoken very highly of our designs.Our Dolby Enabled Atmos speakers are a step up above the rest. The contents of the speakers alone should speak to that compared to other options on the market.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Excellent, thanks for the update! That would explain why I could not locate info on the Frequency Response & Sensitivity for the new Atmos speakers.

Guessing these are a few general descriptions that might relate to requirements of the IP:

Psychoacoustic signal processing Based on an understanding of how the brain interprets sound, Dolby Atmos enabled speakers modify select audio frequencies to reinforce the sense of sound coming from above. 

Speaker directivity and angling Dolby Atmos enabled speakers are designed to fire their acoustic energy upward rather than directly at you. Dolby has calculated the best angle for the upward-firing element based on where most people place their floor-mounted tower and stand-mounted speakers and based on standard ceiling heights. 

As a result, your brain experiences the sound coming from the reflection off the ceiling, rather than from the speaker itself. This works in combination with crossovers and bass management built into Dolby Atmos enabled speakers and A/V receivers (AVRs) to deliver a compelling and accurate overhead experience. 

Sound-absorbing foam inserts are installed to eliminate any random secondary baffle radiation, insuring that the vertical sound is not distorted by uncontrolled lateral reflections... & specifically engineered frequency response and directional sound  radiation patterns.

• Like 1

before reference premier came out I was hoping for a return of the rf-63 in walnut. Seemed shortly after the rf-7ii was

Released in walnut.

I think those and the RF-83s, along with RC-64 were too warm for most Klipsch folks and the reason they went back to the RF-7 design in their upperend Reference.

Edited by Zen Traveler

before reference premier came out I was hoping for a return of the rf-63 in walnut. Seemed shortly after the rf-7ii was

Released in walnut.

I think those and the RF-83s, along with RC-64 were too warm for most Klipsch folks and the reason they went back to the RF-7 design in their upperend Reference.

well if that were the case then they went all wrong cause the RP is easily the most laid back ones I've ever heard. I think they brought the rf-7ii back because of how many people loved their original release.

Most importantly...is the grill on top of that Atmos tower strong enough to support a 12oz beverage?

Yes, though balance is key.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Even more than "proper balance"... I'm looking forward to hearing the patented treble curve & the proprietary directivity standards/

I wounder if it would be best to bounce the sound off the bare ceiling or put up diffusers over the listing position and have the sound hit that?

Bare ceiling.  In fact we had to remove the treatment from our theater room.

Edited by Andy W
  • Like 1

Good stuff, but for my application ceiling speakers are not the direction I'm going. I have solid wood finished ceilings... not going to start cutting holes there. Plus, I've been experiencing the upward firing modules for quite some time now & they work extremely well in my set-up. Plus, I only have 8' ceilings, & the upward firing modules have more room to disperse (with sound going up, hitting the ceiling, then falling back down). Ceiling speakers would work perfectly, but in my application they would be more direct firing, with less room to disperse. 

Yes, I'm glad there an option with Dolby Atmos. Positioning is important for those wanting to use in-ceiling speakers, and the right amount of toe-in on those using reflecting speakers.

I have heard it both ways (in-ceiling and reflecting).  For me the in-ceiling speakers gave slightly more pinpoint imaging, but it's not drastic enough that you lose anything by using the refective approach.

• Like 2

Good stuff, but for my application ceiling speakers are not the direction I'm going. I have solid wood finished ceilings... not going to start cutting holes there. Plus, I've been experiencing the upward firing modules for quite some time now & they work extremely well in my set-up. Plus, I only have 8' ceilings, & the upward firing modules have more room to disperse (with sound going up, hitting the ceiling, then falling back down). Ceiling speakers would work perfectly, but in my application they would be more direct firing, with less room to disperse. 

Yes, I'm glad there an option with Dolby Atmos. Positioning is important for those wanting to use in-ceiling speakers, and the right amount of toe-in on those using reflecting speakers.

I have heard it both ways (in-ceiling and reflecting).  For me the in-ceiling speakers gave slightly more pinpoint imaging, but it's not drastic enough that you lose anything by using the refective approach.

To that point I would add I found it more "distracting" than the diffused sound of up-firing speakers. Both options sound great in their own way.

• Like 2