Cherry CWIII on Audiogon----$1499.00

willland

really? you guys would spend 1500 on a speaker with a k701 horn and a higher crossover than a CW2? you can buy a CW2 upgrade to all Ti diaphragms, have a better mid horn and a lower xover point for a fraction of the cash. I would not buy any new speaker with a K701 horn if I did it would have to be a heck of a deal and I would lose the k701 right off the top. I think a CW2 is a way better deal and a Chorus 2 even better or a set of CF4 or even a set of KLF30. Just me but veneer is too cheap to fuss over buy what you like stick it on and be happy.

• Like 1

Moray;

Dont forget the Mighty forte II as well.

John

Yes but I was suggesting speakers which could keep up level wise or out play the CW3. A Forte 2 would be an option if you are not looking for CW output level(s).

Edited by moray james

Have not listened to a CW3 and I don't need to, I know well what a K700/701 sounds like. A smaller mid horn with a higher crossover point is not an upgrade not even the ti mid and tweeter diaphragms of a CW3 can make up for this. Better to purchase a CW2 you can upgrade to all ti diaphragms and you have a larger mid horn with a lower xover than the CW3 and you can swap out the baffle and upgrade to a larger horn in a three way or convert to a two way see Bob Crites'e Cornscala "D" type. Those would be upgrades but a Heresy mid horn and an 800Hz crossover point is not. If you think that it is you are sadly mistake.

Had the K601 mold been found for the CW3 project, I think it would have been a better speaker.  However, I think Trey (and others) did a great job on that speaker considering the limitations of the K701.  The relocation of the woofer clearly helped the low end, and the network seems to tame that squawker.  Overall, the CW3 is a well-balanced sounding speaker.  I preferred my CW's in a side by side, but I also sold my CW2's because I preferred my CW's.

really? you guys would spend 1500 on a speaker with a k701 horn and a higher crossover than a CW2? you can buy a CW2 upgrade to all Ti diaphragms, have a better mid horn and a lower xover point for a fraction of the cash. I would not buy any new speaker with a K701 horn if I did it would have to be a heck of a deal and I would lose the k701 right off the top. I think a CW2 is a way better deal and a Chorus 2 even better or a set of CF4 or even a set of KLF30. Just me but veneer is too cheap to fuss over buy what you like stick it on and be happy.

Easy does it.

I just posted the link because I thought it was a pretty good deal for a current Heritage speaker.

No flashing lights stating "Greatest Speaker Deal on the Web".

Sorry for posting.

Bill

I bought a new pair of Cornwalls II's in 1986 and kept them for a few years before going to a set of Belles.  I agree, a deeper cabinet and a 401 mid would put it close in line with a Cornscala. Having said that, I sold the Cornwall II's to a friend of mine that still has them in his pool house to this day. I just heard them last weekend and they still sound great and the Walnut still looks new. The mid does break up a little sooner than I like and isn't quite as detailed, but man they sound terrific from 1-50 watts to my ears.   $1500 for cherry and to be the 3rd version is a steal IMO.

Keep the posts coming, Bill.  I also like to see what's out there.  Rarely browse others sites like Audiogon.

Have not listened to a CW3 and I don't need to, I know well what a K700/701 sounds like. A smaller mid horn with a higher crossover point is not an upgrade not even the ti mid and tweeter diaphragms of a CW3 can make up for this.

You've explained your reasons for not wanting a Cornwall III.  I've only heard an early '70s Vertical Cornwall and really liked its sound.  Could it be possible that a Cornwall III sounds better than you are anticipating?  I'm not saying buy this used pair or a new pair on a whim.  If you have the opportunity, listen to someone else's system with CWIII's and see what you think.  You understand way more about specs than I do, but please don't knock it 'till you've tried.  I'm always excited to hear any Klipsch for the first time.

No offense here Moray.

no not at all worse not better. what you have here is a "Forwall" a Forte with a fifteen inch woofer and a higher crossover point. There is a reason why the Cornscala came into being and the CW3 is a definite step backwards from the CW2 not forwards. I would much rather have a Forte ll or a Chorus ll or a 20 or KLF30 or a CF3/4 than a CW3. I spent the last two years working hard on milking the Heresy3 and I have spent a lot of time listening to the K701. I had a pair of Forte and two sets of Forte 2. I am sure that many of the CW3 owners are happy and I am glad for them. I believe that for a lot less money or the same money you could do very much better that's all. some one recently asked if a K402 is that much better than a K510 the simple answer is bigger IS better when it comes to horns. I would not go to someones home to listen to a CW3 there is no point I already know were that is going and I have no interest to go there, no offense. If you told me you had a CW bass bin with a larger horn and a lower crossover I would be interested in hearing those.

Thanks for your response.  I see your point, having spent many hours listening to the K701.

I'm similar in thought when it comes to an Exponential horn vs Tractrix.  With my ears, I like the Tractrix way better and would pass on the Forte I and Chorus I in favor of the II models.

Sorry for the crapping hijack, Bill.

To the 'Forwall'   :emotion-22:   :biggrin:

Moray;

John

Yes but I was suggesting speakers which could keep up level wise or out play the CW3. A Forte 2 would be an option if you are not looking for CW output level(s).

Forte II Output

Frequency Response: 32Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB SENSITIVITY: 99dB @ 1watt/1meter POWER HANDLING: 100 watts maximum continuous (500 watts peak) MAX ACOUSTIC OUTPUT: 119dB SPL NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms TWEETER: K-75-K 1" (2.54cm) Polymer diaphragm compression driver HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 90(o)x40(o) Exponential Horn MIDRANGE: K-61-K 1.5" (3.81cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver MID FREQUENCY HORN: 90(o)x40(o) Tractrix® Horn WOOFER: K-25-K 12" (30.48cm) Fiber-composite cone active / KD-15 15" (38.1cm) Fiber-composite cone passive CROSSOVER FREQUENCY: HF 7,000 Hz<br>LF 650 Hz ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF) ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via passive radiator DIMENSIONS: 35.4" (89.92cm) x 16.5" (41.9cm) x 12.25" (31.1cm) WEIGHT: 67 lbs. (30.42kg) FINISHES: Walnut Oil, Oak Oil, Oak Clear, Finished Black Built From: 1989 BUILT UNTIL: 1996

Cornwall III Output

Frequency Response: 34Hz - 20 kHz 3db SENSITIVITY: 102 db @ 1watt/1meter POWER HANDLING: 100w max continuous (400 w peak) MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT: 119db NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms TWEETER: K-107-TI 1" (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: K-79-T Tractrix MIDRANGE: K-53-TI 1.75" (4.45 cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver MID FREQUENCY HORN: Exponential Horn WOOFER: K-33-E 15" (38.1cm) Fiber composite cone CROSSOVER FREQUENCY: HF: 5000Hz

LF: 800Hz ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: MDF ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via front slot ports DIMENSIONS: 35.75" H (90.81cm) x 25.31" W (64.29cm) x 15.5" D (39.37cm) WEIGHT: 98 lbs FINISHES: Walnut Lacquer, Cherry Lacquer, Black Lacquer Built From: 2006

I think my forte II keep up with if not surpass the Cornwall III in just about every category.

Moray;

John

John your Forte can keep up but a 12" woofer cannot push as much air as a 15" Woofer can. Yes the Forte goes low a lot lower really but the CW and the Chorus catch more than enough depth extension and that combined with the quantity of air they can push is why so many love them for their bass impact and heft. Would I choose a Forte ll over a CW3 yes in a heart beat not a moment of reflection.

Forte II Output

Frequency Response: 32Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB SENSITIVITY: 99dB @ 1watt/1meter POWER HANDLING: 100 watts maximum continuous (500 watts peak) MAX ACOUSTIC OUTPUT: 119dB SPL NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms TWEETER: K-75-K 1" (2.54cm) Polymer diaphragm compression driver HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 90(o)x40(o) Exponential Horn MIDRANGE: K-61-K 1.5" (3.81cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver MID FREQUENCY HORN: 90(o)x40(o) Tractrix® Horn WOOFER: K-25-K 12" (30.48cm) Fiber-composite cone active / KD-15 15" (38.1cm) Fiber-composite cone passive CROSSOVER FREQUENCY: HF 7,000 Hz<br>LF 650 Hz ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF) ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via passive radiator DIMENSIONS: 35.4" (89.92cm) x 16.5" (41.9cm) x 12.25" (31.1cm) WEIGHT: 67 lbs. (30.42kg) FINISHES: Walnut Oil, Oak Oil, Oak Clear, Finished Black Built From: 1989 BUILT UNTIL: 1996

Cornwall III Output

Frequency Response: 34Hz - 20 kHz 3db SENSITIVITY: 102 db @ 1watt/1meter POWER HANDLING: 100w max continuous (400 w peak) MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT: 119db NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms TWEETER: K-107-TI 1" (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: K-79-T Tractrix MIDRANGE: K-53-TI 1.75" (4.45 cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver MID FREQUENCY HORN: Exponential Horn WOOFER: K-33-E 15" (38.1cm) Fiber composite cone CROSSOVER FREQUENCY: HF: 5000Hz

LF: 800Hz ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: MDF ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via front slot ports DIMENSIONS: 35.75" H (90.81cm) x 25.31" W (64.29cm) x 15.5" D (39.37cm) WEIGHT: 98 lbs FINISHES: Walnut Lacquer, Cherry Lacquer, Black Lacquer Built From: 2006

I think my forte II keep up with if not surpass the Cornwall III in just about every category.