New record press plant in Portland

Guest Steven1963

• Moderators

I love the convenience of accessing all my music from my couch.

-does-anyone-else-ever-feel-overwhelmed-hobby-vinyl.jpg

Typical response for a Vanderstein-like speaker owner.

Klipsch owner buys vinyl for the attachment to the music despite the expense and inconvenience.

Great cartoon FJD. Is that from Playboy, the New Yorker?

Edited by dwilawyer

Personally, I can do without them.  I love the convenience of accessing all my music from my couch, in a fraction of the time it would take to get up and change an album.  I have a tendency to switch songs even half way through - because of the convenience most likely. I'd more likely sit and listen to the whole side of an album out of laziness even if I hate 3 out of the 5 songs on it.

precisely this.

i had about 50 albums and record player in my early to mid 20's. it was fun, but i have no deep emotional connection to the format

album covers doubled as a way to separate the stems and the seeds.

• Like 2

Great cartoon FJD. Is that from Playboy, the New Yorker?

I can't remember where I downloaded it from.  It may have been in another thread here.

To go with my vintage set up, a while back I picked up a nice looking Thorens TD124 that is now on deck for a rebuild at some point.

• Moderators

A new company in Portland, Oregon has opened up with 6 presses churning out about 2,000 records a day. Vinyl is continuing to make its come back.

http://www.opb.org/news/article/cascade-record-pressing-starts-production/

Great post. I highly recommend going to their site and watching this video about what is involved in the mastering process for vinyl. A vwry good basic primer, and some great clips of an Ampex ATR.

Travis

Ohhhhhhhh, a genuine pissing contest. So much for making everyone happy.

Bad form for bringing up contents of PM exchange.

As a moderator you need to use more finesse and diplomacy in my opinion.

Mark's humor filter is broken and I'm not obligated to take PM threats with a stiff upper lip. Say it in public or don't say it at all - I've got nothing to hide.

Some folks do not grasp the difference between discipline and punishment.  For them the ball peen hammer is their only management tool.

I bought 3 new LP's this week alone.

Europe is a major hotbed of Vinyl manufacturing and sales... I get quite a bit of stuff from the eurozone, it's only proper to spend some money here at home.

• Like 1