Is The Problem Post Counts or How To Include or Exclude

derrickdj1

Is The Probelm Post Counts or How to Include or Exclude Thread privilages  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Are post counts the problem

Some wild things are going on with counting and not counting post counts.  I don't see a reason not to count all post, no matter if it is a RTM thread, vote or what not.  This confussion did not come up until the No BS thread went into protected status.  Just wondering what others think.

The No BS thread is a protected thread.  The problem seem to be how to include or exculde members privilages.  I don't have any easy answers for this one.  Maybe there is no easy answer and that is the crux of the problem.

Edited by derrickdj1

Post count... end to a means, or a means to an end?

Regardless, from where I sit post count wise, it serves as a substantial form of my entertainment.

By the time I near that 5k mark, the thread will cease to exist, the rules will have changed, or I will have ceased to exist.

I am a long standing member of another forum (since Dec. '05).  I have all of 15 posts there, yet I frequent it daily.  I oft times enjoy the lurking more than the participation.

Post on friends!

• Like 6

The problem seem to be how to include or exculde members privilages. I don't have any easy answers for this one.

If you come up with any, I am sure Chad would be all ears.  But they must be automatic and attainable by all without him have to write a bunch of code.   Even if he had the time, anytime you do that veering away from the vendor's design you risk bringing the whole thing down.  There is nothing in his current methodology that is selective in any way.  Anyone reaching the post count is automatic.  Once there, they are still subject to moderation.  Not sure it's in the public TOS or statements, but Chad has made it crystal clear that moderators are subject to moderation as well. 

I belong to a number of Forums, and many more over the years.  This one is the finest bunch of people and the Klipsch administration of it the best I've ever experienced.  That is why my post count is where it is.  It's been a pleasure and enriched my life.  Amy was pretty much sole moderator for a long time, and given her extraordinary judgment, wisdom, and fairness all that was needed.  She appointed a few of us as "Spam Patrol."  We had more limited powers than moderators but kept her informed.  I didn't really have much interest in being a moderator, but Chad simply elevated a few of us when he took over, then choose a couple of others after the poll.  I am pretty sure one or more have gone through the "What was I thinking???" process in the past year. 

The "Ask Sancho" thread wasn't started by SP.  It was started by a fellow forum member in the best tradition of forum fellowship to help in over the top.  Personally, I've thoroughly enjoyed it. 

What his reaction is when he finds that area perhaps not so mysterious and exciting as imagined I look forward to seeing. 

BTW, there is NO toaster.

Dave

Dave

Maybe there is no easy answer and that is the crux of the problem.

Correct.  Any time you have an area that excludes members for WHATEVER reason there will be issues.  In this case it's due to the labor intensive process Chad would have to go through to change the methodology as Dave has alluded to above.  Code writing sounds very laborious and Chad has more than this forum on his plate.

I've enjoyed the "Ask Sancho" thread as well. 

• Like 1

Some wild things are going on with counting and not counting post counts.  I don't see a reason not to count all post, no matter if it is a RTM thread, vote or what not.  This confusion did not come up until the No BS thread went into protected status.  Just wondering what others think.

The No BS thread is a protected thread.  The problem seem to be how to include or exclude members privileges.  I don't have any easy answers for this one.  Maybe there is no easy answer and that is the crux of the problem.

Is the Poll feature new?  I've seen them on other forums, just not here.

Just a suggestion Derrick, forced choice questionnaires don't usually yield good information ("yes/no, agree/disagree etc).  I might suggest you always include at least the ubiquitous third option, "Other - please explain."  :)

+++

Edited:

Regarding your post:  I'm not sure what an "RTM thread" is nor why it is a problem.  (I've got it now, Right This Minute sub-forum, and those posts don't count towards the total posts) I think you probably know some things I don't.  The only thing I've figured out is public posts count on the total, Private Message's do not.

I also didn't notice the "No BS" thread went into protected mode.  Is that just the one thread, or is there an entire sub-forum where the 'No BS" is just the first thread?

If I don't have high enough security clearance to be entitled to an answer, I understand.  :sad::tongue:

Edited by wvu80

I don't understand the question, but there are many, many things I don't understand.  I'm okay with that.

I'd just like to say that "The Klipsch Forum" seems to be going down the drain.  Why?  I'm really not sure, but to say that posts in the "Right This Minute" thread are meaningless and will not count as "posts" is pretty unfair to music lovers and Klipsch lovers.

I think PWK would agree and Boxx would certainly agree.  If listening to music dosen't count, I'm in the wrong place.

I call BullShit!   :pwk_bs: 

But, that is me and there are many other places on the internet I can go and feel like my posts are valued. 

It's been a long and very enjoyable run.

Thank you and may God bless you and keep you all.   Thank you for letting me participate on this once great forum. 

Dennie

• Like 12

Thanks, Dennie.  RTM= "Right This Minute."  I don't post there so I really never even noticed it.

And if I understand correctly, the RTM posts don't count in the total.  I did not know that.

So to answer Derrick's question, my answer is I really don't know if not counting those posts is a problem.  For me, I just like to post and let the post counting go as the Klipsch's admin's best determine.

• Like 1

I think PWK would agree and Boxx would certainly agree. If listening to music dosen't count, I'm in the wrong place. I call BullShit!

I was unaware of that and I agree.  But, believe it or not, moderators don't make the rules.  No idea why RTM posts don't count as it could be argued it's the center of what we are all about. 

Dave

• Like 3

I can see PM not counting as regular post but, anything that is  a thread should count IMHO.  I think the protected thread has merit.  A lot of the recent discussion on the forum has been concerning who is included and who is excluded.  I think Chad pick a 5000 post count as a metric based on a forum participationship.

Klipsch can set whatever metric they want without explanation. Changing criteria on which post counts and don't count in our totals does not seem to be the right track.  Amy was a great moderator and the current mods are also great and trying to do their job to the very best of their abilities.  Klipsch needs to be solid on what it is doing on this issue and not go back and forth.  Make a decision and stick to it!

This will stop endless discussion on this topic!

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 4

• Moderators

I think PWK would agree and Boxx would certainly agree. If listening to music dosen't count, I'm in the wrong place. I call BullShit!

I was unaware of that and I agree.  But, believe it or not, moderators don't make the rules.  No idea why RTM posts don't count as it could be argued it's the center of what we are all about. 

Dave

I think Chad would have to answer this question.

• Like 1

I can see PM not counting as regular post but, anything that is  a thread should count IMHO.  I think the protected thread has merit.  A lot of the recent discussion on the forum has been concerning who is included and who is excluded.  I think Chad pick a 5000 post count as a metric based on a forum participationship.

Klipsch can set whatever metric they want without explanation. Changing criteria on which post counts and don't count in our totals does not seem to be the right track.  Amy was a great moderator and the current mod are also great and trying to do their job to the very best.  Klipsch needs to be solid on what it is doing on this issue and not go back and forth.  Make a decision and stick to it!

I think the "protected thread" should go by time here, not post count.  I see a lot of posts that have no benefit to this forum whatsoever. 

If you've been here a few years, you get it.  If you've said "LOL" 5000 times, you may not "get it".  You may just be drunk.  (not that there is anything wrong with that).

But again, just my opinion. 

Dennie

• Like 5

• Administrators
I think the "protected thread" should go by time here, not post count.  I see a lot of posts that have no benefit to this forum whatsoever.

That was in consideration, however that wouldn't exactly be a better solution. A BETTER solution would be to base it off the reputation system, but there currently isn't a way to do that with the stock forums. 

• Like 3

That was in consideration, however that wouldn't exactly be a better solution. A BETTER solution would be to base it off the reputation system, but there currently isn't a way to do that with the stock forums. 

Then get rid of it.  

No one here is elite.  We're all music lovers!

If people want to talk about other things, go somewhere else.  NO BULLSHIT!

Keep it simple and don't put some above others.  SIMPLE

Just my opinion, again.

Dennie

• Like 4

If listening to music dosen't count, I'm in the wrong place

You're right. I've changed it back after thinking about it some more.  

I think that is the right thing to do.

Thanks Chad,

Dennie

• Like 3

• Administrators
Then get rid of it.  

That's not gonna happen. Sorry.

You are right though, nobody here is "elite" - including me. Everyone has an equal opportunity to see that No BS forum, it just so happens there is a minimum post limit to do so. Nobody is excluded from being able reaching that post count.

• Like 2

Then get rid of it.  

That's not gonna happen. Sorry.

You are right though, nobody here is "elite" - including me. Everyone has an equal opportunity to see that No BS forum, it just so happens there is a minimum post limit to do so. Nobody is excluded from being able reaching that post count.

Except people with a life who don't sit on here all day long or have OCD.

• Like 5