Legal Round Up

Travis In Austin

• Moderators

I understand that, but nothing in what's been posted reflects on whether the officer could determine what the guy was holding. If he couldn't tell, I am with him. However, if a reasonable and prudent person could clearly see the guy had only grass cutters it's a different story.

Based on your point, above, I think we are dealing with a "different story." I was ready to go back and see if there might be room for the officer to say he couldn't tell, but the weed-whacker is right in front of the officer - about 2 feet away. And the officer is shining his flashlight right on the guy. Essentially, the weed-whacker is "point blank" right in the officer's face with a spotlight on it.

Look at 0:42 seconds into the video.

He could clearly see the it was a Yo Ho, and that deputy grew up using them and was familiar with the damage they can cause. I bought one and brought one to press conference tp show media, I also brought a watermelon and said I would be happy to show them what kind of damage they can do out on the parking lot.

I had no takers.

• Moderators

Ok I have to go, to a wake for a police officer. You are great guys, I don't think there is a mean or bad post on thos tjread I started a year or so ago, that is over 100 replys.

I just like to post legal news from time to time so people know what the courts are doing. I don't expect everybody to agree, but thanks to you guys today for always keeping it nice on here, and in days past.

• Like 1

I understand that, but nothing in what's been posted reflects on whether the officer could determine what the guy was holding. If he couldn't tell, I am with him. However, if a reasonable and prudent person could clearly see the guy had only grass cutters it's a different story.

Based on your point, above, I think we are dealing with a "different story." I was ready to go back and see if there might be room for the officer to say he couldn't tell, but the weed-whacker is right in front of the officer - about 2 feet away. And the officer is shining his flashlight right on the guy. Essentially, the weed-whacker is "point blank" right in the officer's face with a spotlight on it.

Look at 0:42 seconds into the video.

He could clearly see the it was a Yo Ho, and that deputy grew up using them and was familiar with the damage they can cause. I bought one and brought one to press conference tp show media, I also brought a watermelon and said I would be happy to show them what kind of damage they can do out on the parking lot.

I had no takers.

Plastic dinnerware is quite dangerous, too, if you just sit there and stand your ground and take it.  I am not convinced by anything other than the law is "no duty to retreat."  I think it's a poorly-conceived rule (at this point, but I could change my mind yet again), and I think once we have had enough unnecessary killings, somebody will step up to the plate and get more creative on how to best serve the public with police protection.

Edited by Jeff Matthews

Ok I have to go, to a wake for a police officer. You are great guys, I don't think there is a mean or bad post on thos tjread I started a year or so ago, that is over 100 replys.

I just like to post legal news from time to time so people know what the courts are doing. I don't expect everybody to agree, but thanks to you guys today for always keeping it nice on here, and in days past.

Thanks for posting it.  It is certainly an eye-opener.

• Like 1

In watching that video over and over, at 54 seconds in, it looks like the big man is lunging forward and is increasing speed toward the cop. Also, the cop was backing up in the dark up a hill not knowing what was behind him. 

Cops should be allowed to have non-lethals like tazers IMO. Had this been in England or in my home town even, here is what would have gone down:

I am not in LE but my understanding of their training and in my training and personal thought is that, if I ever have to un-holster my weapon and shoot, it will be to kill. How many rounds have you practiced with in the last 30 days, year (that was at the range, right)? This ain't the movies and in a naturally very stressful situation you are not going for kneecaps but body mass as it is the last resort.

The Lone Ranger was very good at shooting hands that never bled and in the series "Person of Interest" (highly recommended BTW) it was always in the knee; yea right. I am fairly proficient in close quarters but if me or mine were properly threatened it would be center body.

Edited by USNRET

My response was to the question posed about disable / mortal wound and in NO way intended to address any of the preceding posts regarding actual cases. Regarding targets, I typically use torso and then practice by putting groups on one spot or another. This has zero to do with intent but rather to see how tight my groups are. As a side note and OT, I use a 3" sticker at 50 yards for practice on long guns. I never really noticed the price difference, just pick up something that has a good indication (color/contrast) of where the round hit. As someone that can carry (I don't always), I think it prudent to go out one a month or so to go thru the drills required by the state to qualify.

Sorry, drifting off the thread. Be cool.

• Like 1

I wonder why tazers aren't used there? Afraid of being sued? In that case, as I understand it, it's better to kill a person who breaks into your home than injure them. If you injure them they will come back and sue your pants off. Have I got that screwed up in any way?

edit: I didn't say that well, but I hope people can understand my questions and their reasons... :)

Edited by mustang guy

My response was to the question posed about disable / mortal wound and in NO way intended to address any of the preceding posts regarding actual cases. Regarding targets, I typically use torso and then practice by putting groups on one spot or another. This has zero to do with intent but rather to see how tight my groups are. As a side note and OT, I use a 3" sticker at 50 yards for practice on long guns. I never really noticed the price difference, just pick up something that has a good indication (color/contrast) of where the round hit. As someone that can carry (I don't always), I think it prudent to go out one a month or so to go thru the drills required by the state to qualify.

Don't worry.  If it drifts enough it gets locked now.

Don't worry.  If it drifts enough it gets locked now.

Mods: if my posts are out of line please delete without locking others out. I sometimes forget that I am not chatting with friends in my living room and that is how they are intended.