Legal Round Up

Travis In Austin

• Moderators
6 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

Forgive me for asking, but isn’t the above discussion political?  If not, can we have a discussion about the movement to end abortions in this country while funding them elsewhere?

Maynard

It's a thread I started 6 years ago about current legal cases, usually in the Supreme Court, not always, so no, it's not political. The second part would be completely off topic here - "funding" originates in the legislature, thus probably political, and the what the states are doing in their legislatures, on any issue, is also clearly political. So the answer to your question about having a discussion would be so far off topic it wouldn't be appropriate in this thread as it doesn't pertain to any court case, as to whether it would fly in a separate post, I seriously doubt it would get very far because it seems inextricably intertwined with current politics - in addition it's an inflammatory topic like guns, race, religion, etc. 

4 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

The example that was given in the Amicus Briefs is the math teacher assigns homework and the wizkid posts the answers on social media every afternoon, in violation of school policy. 

How was cheating handled before the internet ?

Was it ever a flogging offense ?

The current trend is towards no grades, thus eliminating the need for tests and cheating all together. Perhaps attendance can also be done away with and diplomas simply handed out on Diploma Day, once empty and abandoned the schools could be raised and the land converted to a dog walk.

Flogging it is.......

Traditional forms of punishment: Britain* 1700-1900

Posted on April 2, 2018 by odeboyz

Traditionally, British judges sentencing criminals had five principal options: capital punishment, corporal punishment, exile, imprisonment and torture. Judges sentencing criminals to ‘savage’ sentences were using proportionate and appropriate punishments according to the expectations of the time. The sentences were anticipated by all parties. Punishments were inflicted in public and there’s a high probability that criminals had seen others suffer what they were about to receive.

School teachers had the same powers as officers, School discipline varied from school to school but none of them were ‘soft’ on discipline.

Corporal punishment was routinely used in British schools. They were notorious for flogging their pupils with breathtaking savagery. Charles Dickens wrote Nicholas Nickleby in 1838. In that novel he created Dotheboys Hall as a caricature of the boarding (residential) schooling that was typical at the time. These schools were small and usually located in remote areas of Britain where there was no scrutiny.

https://oedeboyz.com/2018/04/02/traditional-forms-of-punishment-britain-1700-1900/

Can a student attend a football game (away game) wearing a t-shirt that contains a vulgarity? Or that advocates the use of illegal drugs?

Can the other people in the stands still throw drinks in soft containers like dixie cups at such people.?

Would ice cubes constitute assault, where just water would not ?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Bubo said:

The current trend is towards no grades, thus eliminating the need for tests and cheating all together

Where? I have a son who just graduated from high school. Grades are in full swing here in Texas, my nieces in Colorado,  cousins in California all get grades, all take the SAT or ACT.

Where is this trend?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dwilawyer said:

Where? I have a son who just graduated from high school. Grades are in full swing here in Texas, my nieces in Colorado,  cousins in California all get grades, all take the SAT or ACT.

Where is this trend?

New York City Schools To Eliminate Entry Exam For Gifted And Talented Programs

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2021/01/13/nyc-doe-eliminating-gifted-and-talented-programs/

Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology in Fairfax County, Virginia, admitted nearly 16 percent fewer Asian students and 43 percent more white students after eliminating its merit-based entrance exam, according to demographic data released Wednesday for the class of 2025. While Asian students accounted for 73 percent of the class of 2024, only 54 percent of next year's freshmen are Asian.

https://freebeacon.com/campus/eliminating-racist-entrance-exam-led-to-more-white-students-fewer-asians-at-top-high-school/

American University is entry exam free for undergraduates. At the graduate level, the majority of programs are GRE-free.

Apr 1, 2019,03:00am

A Proposal For The End Of Standardized Testing

The End Of The Big Test

To curtail or end standardized testing, states could verify that good systems have more than adequate student performance data. That would involve a three-step process:

1. Districts and networks would petition for an assessment exemption by submitting a cohort of learner profiles. (To promote security, these profiles could be anonymized.)

2. A comparability analysis would determine if the system can reliably and accurately report student progress (both achievement levels and growth rates). If yes, the system would be granted a three-year testing exemption.

3. After an initial exemption period, states could sample student profiles to periodically check the accuracy of local system

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomvanderark/2019/04/01/a-proposal-for-the-end-of-standardized-testing/?sh=5188fc1221d8

I guess now some don't have to pay someone else to take their SAT exam.  

Standardized testing issues have little to do with grading in schools.  If you like though, I can grade your post in which you used the wrong word, which in the past you have reacted negatively instead of learning.  I recall you even called it a "typo" lol.  It's all in the spirit of hijacking a thread isn't it?  

Critical thinking is dead also.  Let us set up a straw man of what they have done in "britain" as if it has anything to do with the USA.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2021 at 3:09 AM, dwilawyer said:

I think the district really took it on the chin with this part of the opinion:

Third, the school itself has an interest in protecting a student’s unpopular expression, especially when the expression takes place off campus. America’s public schools are the nurseries of democracy. Our representative democracy only works if we protect the “marketplace of ideas.” This free exchange facilitates an informed public opinion, which, when transmitted to lawmakers, helps produce laws that reflect the People’s will. That protection must include the protection of unpopular ideas, for popular ideas have less need for protection."

If the parent, and not the student, made the offensive post, would there be a case?

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

If the parent, and not the student, made the offensive post, would there be a case?

No case per the Court. Both majority and concurrence operate under the assumption that the speech would be protected if an "adult" said it (meaning a non-student).

Now, with a private school, that may be a different matter.

• 5 weeks later...

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.  Same with my Black Lab on "bath day" he puts on the 125lb brakes pretty fast.  My point is if you tell someone they have to do something that they do not want to do they resist harder.  Misinformation and disinformation don't help either.  At least in Russia when they tell you to get the Covid vaccine you also get a shot of Vodka.

• 1 month later...

We now have the Stasi, and snitches are rewarded with 10g.  For now, until a case is actually heard.  The irony and hypocrisy is beyond a constitutional adherent's belief.

Law is made by lawmakers.  Lawmakers are elected by the people.  A legal thread is by nature political...

On 9/2/2021 at 2:37 PM, oldtimer said:

Law is made by lawmakers.  Lawmakers are elected by the people.  A legal thread is by nature political..

The birds are blue.  There is only one person on the face of this Earth that would get that statement; but I figured I'd say it anyway as it has a very deep meaning. Takes me back to my high school days ... which of course were filled with studying diligently, staying after school for extra credit, and spending my free time at the library.

Speaking of high school, I took a class about Electricity.  I had already enlisted in the coast guard under the delayed entry program. The electricity teacher was prior coast guard. He wrote on my final exam:  "Final exam: F, Class Projects: F, Final Grade: C.  Going into coast guard, all ships will sink."  For the record, he was wrong.  See, he was fair ... I apparently got credit for showing up; unlike that unfair algebra teacher that failed me for having 47 unexcused absences. 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Quote from court opinion on a speaker port infringement case:

Although some courts have issued injunctions ordering the destruction of remaining infringing inventory, see Beckman Instruments, 892 F.2d at 1549, this remedy seems extraordinarily wasteful. Perhaps the parties could reach an agreement to donate any remaining infringing speakers to charities, such as schools or shelters, so that the less well-heeled segments of society might enjoy the bass sounds of Madonna's "Erotica" free of port noise.