Legal Round Up

Travis In Austin

Polio is real. My father got it when he was a teenager, never had use of most of the left side of his body for the rest of his life. Try getting a job

with only one good hand for your entire adult life. Keep watching women on TV crying about life being unfair.

I was talking to dad the other day and he remembers as a child having an ache in his leg and thinking for sure he had polio. The worse fear he had was not braces, it was the iron lung machine. 

Vaccinations are needed, and should be mandated to people who think the whole thing is a pharma conspiracy. The reason is simple, the lives they are risking by not vaccinating their kids are not their own. They are the lives of their own children. In some parts of Africa, it has been very difficult to administer vaccinations because the people are simple. Once educated, they stand in line for shots. This is how battles against viri are won. 

Another big problem is resistant bacteria. These bacteria are the survivors of infected people who stop taking their antibiotics before the round is done simply because they feel better. PN and sulfa drugs are no weaker than when they were invented/discovered. Many of the bacteria which survived in large quantities due to patients not taking the full rounds of prescribed antibiotics are simply immune to them. 

Here are a few deadly bacteria which were bread by know it all patients:

Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)
Burkholderia cepacia
Pseudomonas aeruginosa
Clostridium difficile
Klebsiella pneumoniae
Escherichia coli (E.coli)
Acinetobacter baumannii
Mycobacterium tuberculosis
Neisseria gonorrhoeae
Streptococcus pyogenes

These are killers en-masse.

I am not a fan of the lobbying practices of the pharma, either in politics or in my doctor's office. Nevertheless, they are needed to combat these illnesses which wiped populations of men, women and children in the "good old days". 
Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 2

Polio is real. My father got it when he was a teenager, never had use of most of the left side of his body for the rest of his life. Try getting a job

with only one good hand for your entire adult life. Keep watching women on TV crying about life being unfair.

I was talking to dad the other day and he remembers as a child having an ache in his leg and thinking for sure he had polio. The worse fear he had was not braces, it was the iron lung machine.

Vaccinations are needed, and should be mandated to people who think the whole thing is a pharma conspiracy. The reason is simple, the lives they are risking by not vaccinating their kids are not their own. They are the lives of their own children. In some parts of Africa, it has been very difficult to administer vaccinations because the people are simple. Once educated, they stand in line for shots. This is how battles against viri are won.

Another big problem is resistant bacteria. These bacteria are the survivors of infected people who stop taking their antibiotics before the round is done simply because they feel better. PN and sulfa drugs are no weaker than when they were invented/discovered. Many of the bacteria which survived in large quantities due to patients not taking the full rounds of prescribed antibiotics are simply immune to them.

Here are a few deadly bacteria which were bread by know it all patients:

Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)

Burkholderia cepacia

Pseudomonas aeruginosa

Clostridium difficile

Klebsiella pneumoniae

Escherichia coli (E.coli)

Acinetobacter baumannii

Mycobacterium tuberculosis

Neisseria gonorrhoeae

Streptococcus pyogenes

These are killers en-masse.

I am not a fan of the lobbying practices of the pharma, either in politics or in my doctor's office. Nevertheless, they are needed to combat these illnesses which wiped populations of men, women and children in the "good old days".

An amazing exhibition of accurate typing! Wow!

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Cops with credit card readers? Dumb. Let's realize that traffic policing is nothing more than local financing scheme. Just capture the plate, and deduct hundreds right out of the checking account.

In our town they installed a camera at a busy intersection which captures those who don't come to a full stop before turning right on a red light. Called a "rolling stop". The fine? $395.00!

If you look at the intersection, about 95% of the cars turning right do not come to a full stop!

And because it is a moving violation it counts as a point on your insurance. That will add at least 10% to your insurance for three years. Making the cost at least $1000 total.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Disclaimer, this legal update is self promotion.

A Grand Jury no billed my client last week for a police shooting he was involved in.

Here is a link to the original story a couple of months ago with a selection of the dash cam video showing the incident that aired on TV.

The video is a bit rough, but this aired at 5, 6 and 10 on every network so I don't believe it is too bad.

http://kxan.com/2016/04/18/dashcam-video-shows-caldwell-co-deputy-firing-deadly-shots/

Travis

Wow!  How awful!  I would not have been a good grand juror for your client, for sure.  Shooting looks totally unnecessary.  The only grave danger I see in the video is a cop with a pistol.

Is "he refused my orders" supposed to be the standard to justify killing?  I'm curious to hear if there's a side I am missing.

Edited by Jeff Matthews

The video is a bit rough, but this aired at 5, 6 and 10 on every network so I don't believe it is too bad. - Travis

The warning was appropriate to the video, and the link was a good way to point to the video.

Thank goodness the dash cam video was there to tell the tale.

Any comments you want to make about the case, Travis?  Media contacts, local reactions, etc?

+++

Wow!  How awful!  I would not have been a good grand juror for your client, for sure.  Shooting looks totally unnecessary.  The only grave danger I see in the video is a cop with a pistol. (Jeff)

The report said he had a weed eater, NOT running.  Those things can have razor sharp saw blades attached.

Jeff, NOT challenging you here, so please don't answer if my question is out of line, it won't hurt my feelings.  But if you were the cop on the scene and a big guy with a weed eater (not running, but raised) advanced on you, refused repeated demands to stop, pushed you backwards across the street into a field, and closed the gap at the end, what would you have done?

Edit:  The man advanced 17 steps across the street into the field when the shots were fired.  The deputy took 19 steps, all backwards and was ten feet into the field when he fired.

My point would be, at some point it seems like there is a "point of no retreat" for the cop.  What point do you think that should have been?

Edited by wvu80

Of course, it won't happen...but if that officer claims he couldn't determine what the guy was holding the scene should be recreated.  There is adequate footage to duplicate the conditions.  Let the jury look and see.  Perhaps he couldn't tell the guy only had a pair of grass cutters, and I understand it might even be considered that he waited too long to fire if it's unclear what the guy had in his hand.  But if it WAS clear, there is no way this is right.   

But we have a 65 year old mental patient hold grass cutters shot by an officer.  All due diligence should be applied...though I suppose since he was no billed that's all done now unless the family files a civil suit.  I always want to give juries the benefit of the doubt as they are ME and still state of the art justice.  But a jury can only deal with what evidence is presented and "beyond a reasonable doubt" must always be the standard. 

Dave

Edited by Mallette

Jeff, NOT challenging you here, so please don't answer if my question is out of line, it won't hurt my feelings.  But if you were the cop on the scene and a big guy with a weed eater advanced on you, refused repeated demands to stop, pushed you backwards across the street into a field, and closed the gap at the end, what would you have done?   My point would be, at some point it seems like there is a "point of no retreat" for the cop.  What point do you think that should have been?

Your question doesn't offend me at all, and I don't think it is controversial either.  It's a legit question.

Me?  I think I could outrun a fat dude with a weed-eater.  I didn't see anyone else in any imminent danger.  Maybe the guy needs a few more minutes to calm down.  Maybe he gets fatigued.  I don't know.  But it seems there was no big hurry.  Give it a few minutes.   Heck, some cowboys with a lasso could have shown up to play rodeo and subdue the guy.

• Like 1

I understand that, but nothing in what's been posted reflects on whether the officer could determine what the guy was holding.  If he couldn't tell, I am with him.  However, if a reasonable and prudent person could clearly see the guy had only grass cutters it's a different story.  Never been on a grand jury and don't know if they can ask for more information or whether they can only shut up and act on what is provided.  Hope I don't have to find out the latter is the case. 

Dave

Me? I think I could outrun a fat dude with a weed-eater.

I know you're being just a bit tongue-in-cheek but I understand your point.  I think it's much easier to have come up with an alternative to shooting with the luxury of 20-20 hindsight.  Like you said the man was overweight, a weed wacker is not a lethal weapon, the man had known mental health problems.  And there was a second deputy on scene you think could have rendered some assistance.

But in real time with a large man advancing with a weed wacker in his hands, the whole scenario happening in the dim light, in my viewing of the video from the perspective that the cop doesn't deserve to go home injured I would have voted "no true bill" as the local grand jury did.

It's still a tragedy for all involved.  The cop's life will be affected forever as well.

I understand that, but nothing in what's been posted reflects on whether the officer could determine what the guy was holding.  If he couldn't tell, I am with him.  However, if a reasonable and prudent person could clearly see the guy had only grass cutters it's a different story. 

Based on your point, above, I think we are dealing with a "different story."  I was ready to go back and see if there might be room for the officer to say he couldn't tell, but the weed-whacker is right in front of the officer - about 2 feet away.  And the officer is shining his flashlight right on the guy.  Essentially, the weed-whacker is "point blank" right in the officer's face with a spotlight on it.

Look at 0:42 seconds into the video.

Edited by Jeff Matthews