Forum Peeps get First Dibs: Klipsch Headphone Home Try-on Kit!

Chad

but earbuds are typically referred to as the ones that sit in your ears while in-ear headphones actually go in your ear...

Thank you, I learned something.

I also (wrongly) used the term "earbuds" for everything that was tiny that went IN the ear, as opposed to on-ear or over-the-ear.  I now understand there is a distinction and two classes of that kind of technology, the hybrid in-ear phones notwithstanding.

Just ordered my Try On Kit.  

These will be the most expensive headphones, earbuds, IEMs, etc., in other words, electrical transducers that transform electrical energy into acoustic energy delivered to my head via ear canals, that I've auditioned.  I'm looking forward to trying them,

Klipsch should use your statement in the product description section :D

• Like 1

Good FAQ here: http://www.klipsch.com/Education/headphones-faq

I think it would be good for the FAQ to be right on the product pages. The FAQ is not easy to find but well worth the look.

I have a pair of the X7's and I got my wife a pair of the R6;s. Both are awesome in their own rights. 

Why am I not getting enough bass response?

It’s probably because you don’t have a good ear seal. Be sure to try out the various ear tip sizes, as you may find that you need the double flange design for the best possible seal. You may also want to try pulling the ear tip out slightly, as it may have collapsed.

How do I know if I have a good seal?

When no music is playing, your voice should sound louder and ambient noise should sound quieter, very similar to wearing a pair of ear plugs. Creating a tighter seal is simple. Insert the ear tip into the ear canal and then gently pull it back. This adjustment eliminates virtually all external noise so you can play your music at a lower volume, for a longer period of time, without experiencing ear fatigue.

Edited by grog
  • Like 1

• Administrators
I think it would be good for the FAQ to be right on the product pages.

Funny you should mention that. We just kicked off a klipsch.com redesign project and that's one of the types of things I'm planning on including in the new design. Cross-referencing is a good thing, and there will be much more of it. 

• Like 2

Well I received my order, and quickly tried them out. I went through each pair not knowing which set it was, they're not marked anywhere, but each carrying case was different. I started out and played them in the order they were placed in the shipping box. The first set sounded great, a lot of bass, and fit pretty good. The next set had more clarity and clearness in the upper end, but lacked the bass of the first pair, I'm still not sure which is which yet. I'm thinking I started with the upper end X11i. The third pair had the upper clarity of the second set, but with a little more bass, but not as much bass as the first set. Finally the last set, they were a little more sleek and were easier to get into my ear. They sounded excellent, the bass of the first pair, but with more punch and clarity, and the highs were more clear than any of the pairs. I knew right then the last set was the X11i. 

The X11i just feels like a more quality product. I was really surprised how well the R6i sounded, much more bass than the X4i, a little more bass than the X7i, but they lack just slightly in clarity and clearness of the X series, but great at their price point. 

I'm not sure which set I will keep, I only tried them for three minutes each. I don't think I'll choose the X4i though. For $89, the R6i are a bargain. 

I was very impressed by the whole packaging, very sleek. Just curious though, was the lack of identification of any of these headphones a marketing choice? I thought they would be labeled somehow, but it did make it interesting unpacking and trying them before I knew which pair was which….thanks Klipsch :D

• Like 1

• Administrators
I was very impressed by the whole packaging, very sleek. Just curious though, was the lack of identification of any of these headphones a marketing choice? I thought they would be labeled somehow, but it did make it interesting unpacking and trying them before I knew which pair was which….thanks Klipsch

Thank YOU for the quick review & feedback!

The order of the models is listed on the inside flap of the box as you open it. From front to back it is: R6i, X4i, X7i, X11i.

I like the R6i as well, and that's the in-ear pair that I own (I actually have the R6m which just have Android-compatible controls). The price point is great for those who tend to lose their headphones often, like me. And the sound is pretty exceptional for that price point  I lose mine every 3 weeks it seems. :-/

• Like 1

I was very impressed by the whole packaging, very sleek. Just curious though, was the lack of identification of any of these headphones a marketing choice? I thought they would be labeled somehow, but it did make it interesting unpacking and trying them before I knew which pair was which….thanks Klipsch

Thank YOU for the quick review & feedback!

The order of the models is listed on the inside flap of the box as you open it. From front to back it is: R6i, X4i, X7i, X11i.

I like the R6i as well, and that's the in-ear pair that I own (I actually have the R6m which just have Android-compatible controls). The price point is great for those who tend to lose their headphones often, like me. And the sound is pretty exceptional for that price point  I lose mine every 3 weeks it seems. :-/

I see that now…thanks. I actually thought it was cool auditioning these not knowing which model I was trying. 

• Like 1

Apart from the R6m, is everything else iphone only?

I don't get why so much of the audio industry is so focused on iOS products only. The majority of smartphone users is actually Android:

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-os-market-share.jsp

http://marketingland.com/report-apple-android-now-96-percent-smartphones-globally-119487

(82% of the 2014 market share)

Just Samsung alone is bigger than Apple:

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-market-share.jsp

I've been patiently waiting for an x7a (or I guess x7m), but it still doesn't exist...

Edited by DrWho
  • Like 1

I agree with most of Ceptorman's comments.  I'll try not to repeat too much but add a little..

Over all they look and feel well made!

I played with them for a couple of hours last night so these are just first impressions.

R6i - good sound for the money!  Decent bass but not as clear as the others.  Still better than stock phones from Apple, more comfortable and stay put better.  Nice thick cable seems like it will put up with some abuse.  I can see using these while running or doing whatever around the house.  

X4i - A little more clarity than the R6 but NO bass to the point of sounding tinny. Didn't fit well using any of the plugs.  Sorry but YUCK... I hate 'em.  

X7i - A step up from the X4i but still way too weak on the bass.  

X11i - Ahhh!  Now that's better!  Nice clarity and sounds like Klipsch!  Decent bass... not quite as much bass as the R6i but cleaner.  Would still like more bass but I wasn't listening to phones anymore... I was listening to music!   VERY comfortable fit!  I could use these a long time.  The wires are so thin I'm afraid they will get broken too easy!  That is a lot of money to risk on such skinny and fragile looking wires.

If Klipsch put some stout wires on the X11i I would have already sent back the others!  Feel free to redesign or build a custom pair for me if you like  :) 

Apart from the R6m, is everything else iphone only?

I don't get why so much of the audio industry is so focused on iOS products only. The majority of smartphone users is actually Android:

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-os-market-share.jsp

http://marketingland.com/report-apple-android-now-96-percent-smartphones-globally-119487

(82% of the 2014 market share)

Just Samsung alone is bigger than Apple:

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-market-share.jsp

I've been patiently waiting for an x7a (or I guess x7m), but it still doesn't exist...

Who,

You were missed at Hope, are you going to make it next year??

I see your point, but I think you are missing the fact that most Android users, etc. wouldn't fit the demographic for buying hi priced ear buds???

Roger

• Administrators

Folks who ordered kits (and it has been delivered to you) - did you get the "You'll Receive Your Try-On Kit Today!" email? I think at least one of you probably got it the day after the kit was delivered due to a system hiccup - the end result is you get an extra day out of it because that email is sent on what the system thinks is "day 0" - and day 0 is supposed to be the day it was delivered to you. :-)

This is a brand new program that we are testing so I want to be sure we know what's working and what isn't before we take it offline and retool using what we've learned.

Thanks again everyone!

• Like 2

I got my email late afternoon the same day the kit arrived. I did notice in the email, they are actually giving me more than a week to try them out. They were delivered on 7-8, and the email says they need to be back to Klipsch by 7-22, but allow 2 days for shipping. I will allow at least 3 days to ship, so I know they make it there in time, so I'll send them by 7-19, that's 11 days. Very cool.

I'm with Muel, the choice is between the R6i and the X11i. The R6i is a very good deal for the money, but the X11i does sound more clear, fits better, and just seems more sleek and fashionable. The cable is smaller but I'm sure it's made well enough.