Forum Peeps get First Dibs: Klipsch Headphone Home Try-on Kit!

Chad

I got the kit and the email on Wednesday.  Email says that it is due back on the 22nd.

I see in the FAQ that the wire on the X11i is reinforced with Kevlar.  I'd like to be convinced that it is as strong or stronger than the thicker wire on the others.  As comfortable as the X11i is I'm not sure I would mind a little extra weight on the wire if it made it durable.  That thicker sheath seems to stay untangled mostly.  

How repairable are these things?  Does Klipsch do any repairs if/when a wire gets yanked?  I think it might be worth the cost to repair when you are talking about something that cost a few hundred dollars.

• Administrators
I did notice in the email, they are actually giving me more than a week to try them out. They were delivered on 7-8, and the email says they need to be back to Klipsch by 7-22, but allow 2 days for shipping. I will allow at least 3 days to ship, so I know they make it there in time, so I'll send them by 7-19, that's 11 days. Very cool.

For this initial test, we are working out the timeline and how things actually work logistically so this "fudge factor" is subject to change in the future.  :)

You will actually get another email on day 7, reminding you that is the last official day to try them out and that you should send them back.

• Like 1

I see your point, but I think you are missing the fact that most Android users, etc. wouldn't fit the demographic for buying hi priced ear buds???

Do you have any sources to back that up?

39% of the Android market is using some version of the Galaxy, or better - which has always been a direct competitor to the iPhone:

android-device-market-share.png

http://www.folio3.com/blog/smartphone-market-share-ios-android-windows-phone-market-share/

The thing is, there isn't a lot of engineering or tooling cost to make both versions of the earbud, and you're more than doubling your target audience. I know you can use the iOS devices with the android devices, but they don't work properly. I would even be very happy with an earbud only device without the super crappy mems microphone. Sometimes I wonder if engineers ever listen to see how bad it sounds on the other end?

Sorry for ranting.

Now the idea of being able to try before you buy is wicked cool...

Sorry to break it to you but these are NOT headphones, they are earbuds.

Meh, I'd say they're headphones by common definition. Earbuds are a type of headphone. Much like an on-ear, over-the ear, and open-ear are also all simply types of headphones. Lest we sharpen the knife enough to re-split the hair.

I think Professor Thump et al used the term IEM for In Ear Monitors for the original IMAGE, Custom 1, Custom 2, and Custom 3 models. All of which used armatures instead of micro speakers used in cheap, inexpensive, and very good in ear 'phones.   

Edited by blsamuel

Are the 11's that much better than the 7's? 

Oh the temptation !!!  :)

Order the kit and find out for yourself! ;)

It depends... I'm assuming the 11's carry on the 10's sound signature.  The 7's compared to the 10's have a more pronounced midrange and sound clearer to me similar to the x5's.  The 10's known for their "stentorian" bass as one reviewer put it.  The 7's not at all lacking in bass nor the 10's lacking in highs and mids.  I prefer the sound of the 7's compared to the 10's.  I've not heard the 11's so maybe they're "better".  If they have the same sound as the 10''s then I'll probably still prefer the 7's.  

The 11's will win out in absolute comfort and coolness due to their small size.   :emotion-29:  :emotion-29:  :emotion-29:  :D  :emotion-29:  :emotion-29:  :emotion-29:

Professor Thump actually prefers the sound of the x5 and x7 over the x10.  It may be time to try the x11 but then I'm sure I'll want to add to my collection.  

Custom 2, Image x10, Image x5, Image x7, a5i, Status.  .  

EARBUDS

but feel free to call them what you want; they're yours

Not to be a you-know-what, but earbuds are typically referred to as the ones that sit in your ears while in-ear headphones actually go in your ear...

Don't trust me? The Audiophiliac from CNET: http://www.cnet.com/news/everything-you-know-about-earbuds-is-wrong/

Haha, what the hell is happening to this thread. This guy just said the same thing twice, as if he wasn't repeating the same thing twice, lol. "Earbuds - *Sit* in your ear", "Headphones - *go* in your ear". Wait, so unless there is a difference between sit and go, as they're used, here - you just said the same thing. What am I missing? I'm throwing in the towel on this one. Haha.

As an early owner and user of the Klipsch IEMs here's my 0.2 db 

IMVHO earbuds are cheap disposable in ear headphones.  I think initially the micro speaker Klipsch in ear headphones were intended more for portable use of compressed mp3 files while the armature models (x and Custom models) were less forgiving and higher resolution.  

The Klipsch in ear 'phones are all a step (or several) up in sound quality and build quality than mere ear buds

The kit arrived yesterday, so my opportunity to compare them has been limited. I'm using my Pono player as the source to listen to Waltz For Debby, Bill Evans Trio; Come Away With Me, Norah Jones; Unplugged, Eric Clapton, Take Five, Dave Brubeck and Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd,

My initial impression is with how well everything was packaged. I quickly recognized how difficult it is to quickly compare models. The time it takes to remove the ear pieces and reinsert the ear pieces of the next pair, not to mention untangling the cords, makes it difficult to recall the subtle differences. Also, the differences in volume levels makes comparisons more difficult. FWIW, I did not open the R6is, as I already own a pair of R6s, so I used mine and kept the sample pair "new." The microphone feature appeals to me not at all. If I were to purchase any set(s) I would prefer without a microphone, as are my R6s. That said, my initial impressions are as follows:

• X11 sound the best. The bass is almost as strong as the R6, and it is more natural sounding. The clarity and detail of the mids and highs are the best of the group. If I were to keep a pair, this would be the pair. Nevertheless, for my purposes, the improvements over the R6s are not enough to justify the price difference.
  • X4 and X7 sound essentially the same to me. The immediate sensation is less bass than the R6 or X11. Perhaps the mids and treble are superior to the R6, but, if so, not enough to justify the cost or the sacrifice of bass. It would be nice to experience them in "balanced" mode, as what appears to be an adaptor plug for that purpose was included. No explanation of how to do that was provided. The Pono player has a "balanced" mode, but the plug spacing of the supplied adaptor does not match the Pono player's spacing.
  • R6 are the best value. The bass is strongest, but not as natural as the X11. The mids and highs are fine for my purposes. If I didn't already own these, I would be tempted to keep these and send the rest back.
More listening over the next 7 days could change things. Perhaps I'll rig up some cables to adapt the "balanced" adaptor to my Pono player. As more listening takes place I'll update my impressions.

Hats off to Klipsch for making this opportunity available.

Edited by DizRotus

After searching the Internet, I suspect Klipsch phones are not "balanced" in the way needed to utilize the Pono balanced mode. The supplied adaptor is probably the "airline adaptor."

Edited by DizRotus

I have the X4i and X7i boxed up and ready to return, they are out of the competition. I'm torn between the clarity and clearer mids and highs of the X11i, and the exceptional value of the R6. The 6s really do have a great sound, more bass than the 11s, just slightly less clear. 

• Like 1

Any chance of this type of program for on- or over-ear headphones?  I imagine shipping becomes a problem, but those are the ones that I'd really love to try.  The only time I use earbuds is at the gym or cutting grass.

• Like 2

I agree with most of Ceptorman's comments.  I'll try not to repeat too much but add a little..

Over all they look and feel well made!

I played with them for a couple of hours last night so these are just first impressions.

R6i - good sound for the money!  Decent bass but not as clear as the others.  Still better than stock phones from Apple, more comfortable and stay put better.  Nice thick cable seems like it will put up with some abuse.  I can see using these while running or doing whatever around the house.  

X4i - A little more clarity than the R6 but NO bass to the point of sounding tinny. Didn't fit well using any of the plugs.  Sorry but YUCK... I hate 'em.  

X7i - A step up from the X4i but still way too weak on the bass.  

X11i - Ahhh!  Now that's better!  Nice clarity and sounds like Klipsch!  Decent bass... not quite as much bass as the R6i but cleaner.  Would still like more bass but I wasn't listening to phones anymore... I was listening to music!   VERY comfortable fit!  I could use these a long time.  The wires are so thin I'm afraid they will get broken too easy!  That is a lot of money to risk on such skinny and fragile looking wires.

If Klipsch put some stout wires on the X11i I would have already sent back the others!  Feel free to redesign or build a custom pair for me if you like  :) 

X11i with stout wires? I'm not going to reveal anything publicly yet, but I would tell you that Santa may be coming a few months early this year.

I see your point, but I think you are missing the fact that most Android users, etc. wouldn't fit the demographic for buying hi priced ear buds???

Do you have any sources to back that up?

39% of the Android market is using some version of the Galaxy, or better - which has always been a direct competitor to the iPhone:

android-device-market-share.png

http://www.folio3.com/blog/smartphone-market-share-ios-android-windows-phone-market-share/

The thing is, there isn't a lot of engineering or tooling cost to make both versions of the earbud, and you're more than doubling your target audience. I know you can use the iOS devices with the android devices, but they don't work properly. I would even be very happy with an earbud only device without the super crappy mems microphone. Sometimes I wonder if engineers ever listen to see how bad it sounds on the other end?

Sorry for ranting.

Now the idea of being able to try before you buy is wicked cool...

I totally want to offer an Android-version of our X-series. More than half of the smartphones out there are Android. However, sales tell us a different story. The "i" versions of our headphones outsell the "m" variety by a significant margin - enough to make it difficult to justify making an "m" variety.

As far as any difference in quality between an "i" version and a non-microphone version, there is none. We run 6 wires from the device up the main wire, 2 for left, 2 for right, and 2 for mic. There's no pass-through junk going on. Each channel, including the microphone, gets its own discrete pair of wires.

Not to lead anyone on, but I'll definitely be taking this feedback about the need for Android/Galaxy-specific X-series headphones under consideration. 

• Like 1

Any chance of this type of program for on- or over-ear headphones?  I imagine shipping becomes a problem, but those are the ones that I'd really love to try.  The only time I use earbuds is at the gym or cutting grass.

Not yet. You're right, shipping becomes a bit more difficult, but as soon as we have some more on/over-ear product, I think we'll have to do it.

• Like 1

After more time listening, the opinions expressed in post #49 still hold. My son's 25 year-old ears were in agreement about all 4 pairs. His only difference of opinion pertains to the mics; he likes them

If I didn't already own R6s, I'd keep those and send the rest back. Only the X11 are tempting, but not enough to bump the R6s, given the price difference.

My R6s do not have a mic and IPhone controller. I would NOT want them on any phones. Keep it simple please.

A four sets will be handed to UPS tomorrow Wednesday 7/15/15.

Thank you Klipsch for the opportunity. I feel better than ever about my R6s without a mic.

Edited by DizRotus

Apart from the R6m, is everything else iphone only?

I don't get why so much of the audio industry is so focused on iOS products only. The majority of smartphone users is actually Android:

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-os-market-share.jsp

http://marketingland.com/report-apple-android-now-96-percent-smartphones-globally-119487

(82% of the 2014 market share)

Just Samsung alone is bigger than Apple:

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-market-share.jsp

I've been patiently waiting for an x7a (or I guess x7m), but it still doesn't exist...

Amen!  Doc!  Amen!

It's like audiodom has drank the iFruit magic juice.  Maybe iTunes subliminaly brainwashes people?  Including the audio world?

I think it's time for some company to take a STAND!  

That company should be KLIPSCH.  Be the BEST AUDIO comapny and reset the standards!

I can't for the life of me why PHONE HEADSETS aren't standarized for basic controls.  

And early on everybody wanted replaceable cables.  Yeah, replaceing the entire cable on the Image X11 would be difficult.

HOWEVER, Am I missing something!?!

Make one 'phone.  Image x11.  Plugs into plain old cable.  Or iFruit cable.  Or aDroid cable  Or mWind cable.  

Of cours even better would be STANDARD cable.  

And we consumers keep buying iFruit products.  iFruit I hope is starting to play nicer?  I think now that has settled down as most devices charge using the USB cable...

p.s.  Finally got some closeout x7.  No i.  Damn!  Have not compared with the X5 but so much more comfortable.   And yep.  Sounds better to me than my x10ss.  Still haven't tried the x11.  

Edited by blsamuel

Shipped My Kit back this AM complete via UPS.

Thanks for the Demo Klipsch, but No-Thanks...

First, the possitives;

You absolutely have the fit and comfort right!

My daughter preferred the X7i overall.

I absolutely Love the stuff PWK created and have a special place in my heart for Klipsch, I really wanted to like these products, but I am disappointed...

I don't really know what I expected, but at this price point, the outstanding comfort just isn't enough to sell me.

response of 5hz to 20,000hz??? Really, did you guys hire a Bose marketing guru?? These things wont play flat down to 35hz, let alone 5hz., what they have some discernable movement at 5hz, because they sure aren't moving any air at 35hz.

Sound quality; I expected more from something with Pauls' last name on it... A decent set of head cans will really trump these, am I expecting too much from earbuds??

Again, I really wanted to like these, but I just couldn't fall in love with them!

Thank you very much for the Demo, it reminded me of when you used to be able to go into Service Merchandise and audition over 20 pairs of headphones all at once before you spent your money.

I hope your full sized headphones sound better, as I would really like to love them also....

Sorry for the negative review....

Roger

Shipped My Kit back this AM complete via UPS.

Thanks for the Demo Klipsch, but No-Thanks...

First, the possitives;

You absolutely have the fit and comfort right!

My daughter preferred the X7i overall.

I absolutely Love the stuff PWK created and have a special place in my heart for Klipsch, I really wanted to like these products, but I am disappointed...

I don't really know what I expected, but at this price point, the outstanding comfort just isn't enough to sell me.

response of 5hz to 20,000hz??? Really, did you guys hire a Bose marketing guru?? These things wont play flat down to 35hz, let alone 5hz., what they have some discernable movement at 5hz, because they sure aren't moving any air at 35hz.

Sound quality; I expected more from something with Pauls' last name on it... A decent set of head cans will really trump these, am I expecting too much from earbuds??

Again, I really wanted to like these, but I just couldn't fall in love with them!

Thank you very much for the Demo, it reminded me of when you used to be able to go into Service Merchandise and audition over 20 pairs of headphones all at once before you spent your money.

I hope your full sized headphones sound better, as I would really like to love them also....

Sorry for the negative review....

Roger

Roger,

Please quit calling them earbuds.

If you're not hearing bass, you're not getting a good seal.  Or for some reason, With a proper seal, the x10's will rock your socks off and you can literally FEEL the bass in your nead.  

Professor Thump prefers the sound of the X10.  It sometimes takes a bit of work to get a correct seal.  It is possible that your ear canals wont allow a good seal?  I'd be surprised with different sized ear gels.  That said I don't think all models include the 5 basic ear gels.  

Unlike Coyotee-O, I think you prefer the sound of Klipsch over the little (rhymes with hose) cubes.  Richard does too, but sometimes ya gotta wonder.  

All the above said, you may be disappointed with nothing less than Custom 3 or the 2, 3 and 5 way custom in ear monitors that P-Thump was working on a couple of years back.  

Might want to try them again... or wait for 2 or 3 or + x models.