Happy Canada Day!

Islander

Did you know that Canada was originally meant to be called, "CND"

But when the official asked the guy to spell it he said,

"C" Eh

"N" Eh

"D" Eh

Hence Canada... :)

Canada is awesome btw, especially Alberta/BC!

Ill crack open a Pilsner for you guys.

Have pretty much given up on Canada ever since it started requiring a Passport to go.

Roger

A passport is required to cross the border in either direction nowadays.  It's a useful piece of ID for travel anywhere.  We still have over 200 visits a year from cruise ships heading to Alaska, mostly filled with American tourists.  They don't seem to find it a big deal to have a passport, and they're always welcome here.

Just got back from the lawn in front of the provincial Legislature.  There's an all-day concert going on, and I joined about 4,000 people, some wearing red T-shirts, some wearing white ones.

Together, we formed a "living flag", which was recorded by a photographer high above us in the basket of a Fire Department ladder truck.  I was at the bottom left corner, near a pair of Mounties in their red serge dress uniforms.  It was a pretty Canadian moment.

There were likely six to eight thousand people in total, and there will likely be more in the evening.  The temperature is around 28 degrees Celsius/82 Fahrenheit, and there are barely any clouds in the sky. 

Before I went out, I turned on the TV and watched the ceremonies from Capital Hill in Ottawa, featuring the Prime Minister, the Governor General, a 21-gun salute, and a platoon or more of Guardsmen in red jackets and black bearskin hats.

Unfortunately for them, it was pouring rain with low clouds, so the politicians and citizens got wet, and the scheduled flyovers by vintage airplanes and the Snowbirds, the Air Force aerobatic team, were cancelled.  Another occasion to be glad to be living on the West Coast.

Edited by Islander

God Bless Canada and her citizens. The best neighbor a country could have.

I remember growing up in the Detroit MI suburbs, went to Canada frequently. I'll never forget when Canada helped free some of the Iranian hostages a huge sign(banner) was put up on one of the taller buildings in Detroit that could clearly be seen across the river in Windsor Ontario that simply stated "THANK YOU CANADA"

• Like 2