Anybody Riding that Casey Jones Train?

thebes

Wow...first post in over a year!

I'm heading to Chicago early tomorrow morning.  My son was able to get tickets for us which wasn't an easy (or inexpensive) task!.  So....along with a Cubs game at Wrigley tomorrow afternoon, we'll be at all 3 shows.

Assuming I make it home alive, I'll let you know what I think.  I listened to most of the 2 Santa Clara shows which were a warm-up to these and the guys were a bit rusty as you would expect.

I've been to a few hundred of these since '73.  These 3 shows are mostly about nostalgia so I'm not too worried if they aren't in top form.  These guys are in their 60s/70s after all.

• Like 1

Two of my brothers, some high spirited friends, and I were at the real last Dead show 20 years ago at Soldier Field ( when it didn't look like a spaceship ).  

We had a blast for many hours before during and after the show in the shadow of that spactacular Chicago sky line.  I remember at about 1 am the Chicago PD were driving around the parking lots speaking into their PA's " Time to go home hippies - no camping here - you can go home and shower now ".  

I lived about two miles northwest of the loop in Bucktown so we continued the fiesta at home.

• Like 1

To each their own...

I will tell you this, When I met my wife, a hardcore country fan, she couldn't stand the Grateful Dead.  Over the years, by no persuasion of my own, she finally got it.

Some feel it, and some never will, and that's o.k.

I have 1000+ live shows in my media library, and I keep adding to it.  GD was never a studio band.  They are the quintessential jam band, and their shows are where the magic was/is.

Wow...first post in over a year!

I'm heading to Chicago early tomorrow morning.  My son was able to get tickets for us which wasn't an easy (or inexpensive) task!.  So....along with a Cubs game at Wrigley tomorrow afternoon, we'll be at all 3 shows.

Assuming I make it home alive, I'll let you know what I think.  I listened to most of the 2 Santa Clara shows which were a warm-up to these and the guys were a bit rusty as you would expect.

I've been to a few hundred of these since '73.  These 3 shows are mostly about nostalgia so I'm not too worried if they aren't in top form.  These guys are in their 60s/70s after all.

I am in envy Gary.  I tried to get tix for both the Chi-town and Santa Clara shows, but just couldn't swing it for one reason or another.  I believe you are in for a real treat.  I spoke with a friend earlier this week that saw the Santa Clara shows, and their sets included material that hasn't been played live since the late 60's/early 70's (Cream Puff War anyone?).  Enjoy!

• Like 2

I saw part of  the Cal concert last weekend streamed.  This is not their last concert, don't care what they say. When Jerry left the planet it didn't stop them, even though Bob is looking dated and not 100% in health, they aren't going to hang it up. I really think they will pop up again in a few years. May just be two original members by then though.

Talking about the Grateful Dead and their fans, Jerry once said:

“We're like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice really like licorice.”

If you aren't into the Dead, I'm sure there are other threads you might enjoy more.

• Like 2

I used to hear several bands free of charge in Golden Gate park in SF, as well as in Provo Park in Berkeley.  They were almost all good, and better sounding in the open air, but fairly close, than inside, where you had to pay.  The Dead may have been one of them, because they lived in the Haight, but I don't really know for sure.  No Rock band I've ever heard sounded as good in a recording as the bands did outside.

'specially drum kits...lol...drum kits are near imposible to record with any sense they have live in the open air...impiossible!!lol - can't be done....drum kits are too dynamic and always will sound best live..even jazz kits.

Especially jazz kits.  I agree 100%.  I tuned my toms wide open, no damping, both heads on.  From the throne they sounded very live and ringing, but out in the audience the listener got a perfect "thunk."  In the studio you have to damp everything and it's all close mic'ed and all you are trying to do is replicate that sound.

There are two bands in the world that grind me the wrong way... one is the effing Eagles, guess who the other one is?

Try the album Infrared Roses. Instrumental only, great drum solo's that hit hard and clean,  its pretty much the "space jam"  sections of the shows. No sweet tart guitar tones that nauseate you after 10 minutes of listening either.  Its recorded very nicely and complements any decent system. 

• Like 1

Hello.  Folks this thread is about "are you riding the train", not "Do I or do not like the Dead". I'm confused over some of the comments because this Forum is usually very tolerant about other peoples music.  Well the beatles and rap are exceptions, but they have it coming!

After all the primary purpose of getting all this gear is to, ta-da!, play music, and sometimes  when we get tired of talking about gear we talk about music.

Now do I like the Dead? Yes.  Have I seen The Dead? Yes.  Am I a true Deadhead. No.

Like'em or leave'm this thread is about the Dead's last ride.  What a long strange trip it has been, a journey well worth taking and so let's keep on truckin.

So stay on point buckaroos, because as we all know, Forum rules prohibit thread hijacking. :D

• Moderators

They did Casey Jones for Encore is San Jose. Sadly, that will be my last stop on that train ride.

I was hoping to hook up with my friend in Chicago, but it just wasn't in the cards unfortunately.

I am wishing him the best time, with family, friends, and hoping there is something about the weekend that brings him a bright new horizon (which sometimes happens at one of these shows, but that is for another time).

Travis

• Like 1

When it was first announced I was seriously considering going (I live in the Chicago area) (I also played bass in a Dead tribute band for a while).

But even with very little travel expenses I started adding up the cost, hotel, cab fare (if you can even get one) (massive road construction projects going on around here) I decided I'd just stay home and do as I've always done in the past - record them. I'll also ante up for the 12-CD/7BluRay Fare Thee Well Complete numbered box set. Downtown Chicago is going to be a real zoo this weekend.

WXRT is broadcasting all 3 concerts in their entirety starting around midnight. Sirius is broadcasting live on the Grateful Dead channel but I'm not buying another annual subscription for my main system's media tuner just for this.

Anyone know how to cop the satellite signal directly from my car radio tuner?

I'd like to personally thank Klipsch for being one of the main sponsors of this event.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Hello.  Folks this thread is about "are you riding the train", not "Do I or do not like the Dead". I'm confused over some of the comments because this Forum is usually very tolerant about other peoples music.  Well the beatles and rap are exceptions, but they have it coming!

After all the primary purpose of getting all this gear is to, ta-da!, play music, and sometimes  when we get tired of talking about gear we talk about music.

Now do I like the Dead? Yes.  Have I seen The Dead? Yes.  Am I a true Deadhead. No.

Like'em or leave'm this thread is about the Dead's last ride.  What a long strange trip it has been, a journey well worth taking and so let's keep on truckin.

So stay on point buckaroos, because as we all know, Forum rules prohibit thread hijacking. :D

Wow, there's a rule about thread hi-jacking! I must have missed that one!