New Design Onkyo TX-RZ900

TasDom

• Moderators

That does look pretty sweet.  I like the design as well.  Very clean. 

The unit appears to be taller than most receivers. 

Are the rear antennae's for Wireless or just AM/FM Antennae?

Just curious if you have personally heard the AccuEQ room correction.

• Moderators

I just looked at more of the specs....man 200wpc receiver.  Pretty beastly.  I don't follow the Atmos hype but I'm surprised it only has 5.1.2.  Interesting that they do not have surround back speakers.  Maybe that's common in the new Atmos receivers. 

Probably for the built in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth

Just curious if you have personally heard the AccuEQ room correction.

I have not heard it yet but I'd like to see how it compares.

• Moderators

The reason I asked is because you stated an opinion that it was a mistake for them to not use Audyssey.  Wondered if you had any personal experience with it that caused you to feel that way.

How's the 5008 treating you?

The 5008 is working great!  There are still times that I turn on everything and there is no video.  I have found that if I switch inputs on the projector to something that isn't being used, let it try and sync, and then switch back to HDMI1 it typically syncs.  Some have suggested this might not be an HDMI board issue (which they have replaced), but it could be the fact that I'm using an older Monoprice HDMI Cable.  I'm wondering if a newer "High Speed" HDMI cable from Monoprice would fix the handshake issues.

Unfortunately, wakejunkie has had to return the 1008 that I gave him.  It's actually being shipped back to him now for the 3rd time.  Tomorrow our family is headed up to visit him for the 4th of July weekend. 

The reason I asked is because you stated an opinion that it was a mistake for them to not use Audyssey.  Wondered if you had any personal experience with it that caused you to feel that way.

How's the 5008 treating you?

The 5008 is working great!  There are still times that I turn on everything and there is no video.  I have found that if I switch inputs on the projector to something that isn't being used, let it try and sync, and then switch back to HDMI1 it typically syncs.  Some have suggested this might not be an HDMI board issue (which they have replaced), but it could be the fact that I'm using an older Monoprice HDMI Cable.  I'm wondering if a newer "High Speed" HDMI cable from Monoprice would fix the handshake issues.

Unfortunately, wakejunkie has had to return the 1008 that I gave him.  It's actually being shipped back to him now for the 3rd time.  Tomorrow our family is headed up to visit him for the 4th of July weekend.

Glad to hear.

Given all the problems Onkyo has had over the last couple of years, I just feel that changing a proven room correction software will sway potential (educated) purchasers in another direction. If it is on par with Audyssey then more power to them. I would imagine the licensing fees they have to pay Audyssey are pretty high.

Tell Wake hi and have a great time!

• Moderators

Wake just texted me, he called Onkyo and they gave him a tracking number....the 1008 will be delivered today. 

Onkyo better get their stuff together on their quality control or they aren't going to have many customers left. 

I guess time will tell on how well the new room correction works.

I think they really screwed up dropping Audyssey, but that looks nice. 

Instead of adding cpu's to handle atmos and audyssey (what D&M did) they chose to cheap out.

Accueq does basically nothing in the eq department, I am not sure what they were thinking. Looks like the bean counters won, and personally it's D&M XT32 or Pioneer Elite MCACC Pro for me if I was buying anything.

When you look at how long it took them to admit the HDMI board failures over multiple generations, I have no use for them any more. I loved the 809 I had, my dad is still using it.

Edited by gadgtfreek

Those are for wireless, and it has a port for wired networking.  There is a small block middle/left for the am and FM antennae.

It has an organized block for 5.1 then outputs for Surround Back. 

It's just hard to see with all that stuff going on in the back.I also agree, very clean look which is what I like.  At 200 wpc you can add external amps but I'm not sure if you would need them.

I just looked at more of the specs....man 200wpc receiver. 

Yes 200w/ch in stereo 1 channel driven at 6ohms at 1kHz at .9% distortion which equates to 140w/ch in stereo at 8ohms(20Hz to 20kHz) at .08% distortion.

Now I am an Onkyo fan with sound, functionality, and in my experiences reliability, but hate the way they(and other mainstream mfr's) do a play on the specs.

I know this have been covered many times on this forum but I had to mention it again.  Sorry.

On a positive note, that new Onkyo looks awesome visually.

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 1

I just looked at more of the specs....man 200wpc receiver. 

Yes 200w/ch in stereo at 6ohms at 1kHz at .9% distortion which equates to 140w/ch in stereo at 8ohms(20Hz to 20kHz) at .08% distortion.

Now I am an Onkyo fan with sound, functionality, and in my experiences reliability, but hate the way they(and other mainstream mfr's) do a play on the specs.

I know this have been covered many times on this forum but I had to mention it again.  Sorry.

On a positive note, that new Onkyo looks awesome visually.

Bill

I also like the new looks.  My Pioneer Elite is still kicking fine so i have no plans to replace it.  

200 W/Ch (6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9% THD, 1 Channel Driven)     The 200 watts is just one channel driven and that is at almost 1% THD.   I love the big Power supply, but at a .05% THD rating its going to fall in with the rest of the top shelf AVR's at about 125 watts X 5.   Rated at 8.5 amps, its just about all you're going to get. Still plenty of power and I like the new look even if it resembles the Denon upper line with a new twist on the volume control. 

The 200 watts is just one channel driven and that is at almost 1% THD.

Corrected.  I glossed over that first spec.

Bill 

Sneaky marketing. To me, It just cheapens products to see pointless numbers thrown out by the manu's. 

• Like 2