6 KP-101 for $80!

SuBXeRo

So I snagged 6 kp-101 for $80 today from a church that's part of a non profit childrens home. It was an awesome deal. The cabs are in OK shaoe and have screw holes from mounts but that's OK. I'm thinking use for the back yard is perfect but I will have to ruggedize the cabinets, not really a fan of the birch anyways.

Woot!

Listening to them for a bit, they are pretty soft on the high end and not as sharp and bright like a lot of models are and are a bit less open sounding than models with larger horns it seems. They do sound clean and clear and I wouldn't keep them really for critical listening or home theater but would dedicate them more for background music, garage speakers, outdoor speakers or more of a venue where their Pro design can be put to good use. They do crank though, no doubt about it.

post-37112-0-77480000-1435904632_thumb.j

Edited by SuBXeRo
  • Like 2

i tested them outside today and i am extremely pleased with them.  The cabs are in decent condition and it would be a shame to change the color of the cabs to ruggedize them.  They have several holes fromt mounting which aggetates me which means really woody putty to fill the holes.  I would love to refinish them though.

Are you using polyurethane to refinish or just tung oil/linseeed?

• Like 1

The finish I'm using is just oil-based finish. It's been taking to the birch very well. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the color differences along with the fact that the wood is just plain starved. It seems many do not know how to feed a cab...

• Like 1

I still haven't figured out how/what to do with them but I did countersink the mount acres on both the top and bottom of the speaker since the screws were sticking out and I was afraid it would Mar something. I found it interesting that they came from the factory like this, they even have metal screw sleeves for the screws to sink into.

I also had to vacuum out one of the dust caps and then decided to take a nakey picture.

post-37112-0-27960000-1436512208_thumb.j

post-37112-0-08880000-1436512220_thumb.j

Edited by SuBXeRo
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...