Klipsch subwoofer match for my system?

BATMAN5892

Throwing around spec's of 121 and 117 db or extension specs is meaningless.  Most people don't sit within 1 meter.  Since I owened the Crown and The Berhinger amps and could not hear a better sound from the Crown, why not save some money.

Srobak, you may do as you like but, you are not conviencing none of us using the Berhinger amps that it is inferior.  Some very outstanding bass systems on this forum and AVS use these amps. The people on this forum are not novice and have tried a lot of different gear so, they speak from experience.

Edited by derrickdj1

Srobak, you may do as you like but, you are not conviencing none of us using the Berhinger amps that it is inferior. Some very outstanding bass systems on this forum and AVS use these amps. The people on this forum are not novice and have tried a lot of different gear so, they speak from experience.

I'm amazed that people can hear differenced in sub amps if they both have enough current to do the job.

I'm amazed that people can hear differenced in sub amps if they both have enough current to do the job.

Somebody needs to take a Richard Clark challenge if they could. You'd be $10,000 richer. :)

http://tom-morrow-land.com/tests/ampchall/

Been going on for 25 years now and nobody has claimed the prize money yet, and that's with full range stuff, subs would be way more indindistinguishable.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

yet I swapped out two of those for my iNuke / Ultimax setup.

Not totally surprising - there is _always_ something better. To that effect - I think a different amp would take it up another notch for sure.

Another notch in what regard though? I can already bottom my 18's out and have to run it with a limiter on therefore I've got more power than I can use. It's already perfectly silent after the fan swap. It already has WAY more DSP functionality than I know what to do with. It's already set up to where it's virtually flat down to 10 hz without Audessey. I can already trip a breaker with it if it is on the same circuit as my receiver even though class D's are 90% efficient. These were bench tested and 31 hz has almost the same output as 1kHz.

Assuming I keep the same subs and don't need more power what exactly do you think I'll be gaining by switching amps, especially another similar class D? I'm considering a Peavey IPR2 just because it looks nicer, the black case and purple/blue light would match my Marantz equipment in a rack better, but shallow appearance issues aside, can you name anything I'd be gaining in terms of performance? Saying it costs less and says Behringer on the side doesn't count.

Well - I wasn't bashing Berry for dishonest specs

Somebody did earlier, can't find it now, maybe it was edited or in a different thread, basically said that they didn't like iNukes because the power output was grossly overstated. As long as you realize they state its peak value and RMS is about half that amount this is a non-issue.

Well - I wasn't bashing Berry for dishonest specs

Somebody did earlier, can't find it now, maybe it was edited or in a different thread, basically said that they didn't like iNukes because the power output was grossly overstated. As long as you realize they state its peak value and RMS is about half that amount this is a non-issue.

The Behringer EP-2500 was named as such because  2500 watts was it's peak max RMS output.  They took the exact same amp and rebadged it the EP-4000 as that's what it's peak rating is.

• Like 1

Klipsch measurements are in-room or something. the stated volume is louder and the extension is always lower than it really is. It's not really comparing apples to apples.

Wasn't aware of that. Could have sworn I read otherwise, but I will re-research that. Thanks for that info - it does of course change things a bit. Thank you for being educational about it - far more effective than being dismissive. :) That being said - if you read the circumstances I was comparing above - it was a bit more apple & orange than apples - hence where I said "if only for music".

I don't know what the details are but most things are overstated a bit due to different measuring techniques. For example the KL-650-THX's. Claimed 98 db sensitivity and 48 hz extension. Have a third party measure them though and you're looking at 92 db sensitivity, and you can see the output falling off a cliff below 70 hz.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/klipsch-thx-ultra2-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures#ClZf5Rk32H3gKD1j.97

My beloved RF-7ii's are the same way, they measure at 96 db while it is claimed at 101 or maybe 102. Pro cinema stuff is accurate I think.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Another notch in what regard though? I can already bottom my 18's out and have to run it with a limiter on therefore I've got more power than I can use. It's already perfectly silent after the fan swap. It already has WAY more DSP functionality than I know what to do with. It's already set up to where it's virtually flat down to 10 hz without Audessey. I can already trip a breaker with it if it is on the same circuit as my receiver even though class D's are 90% efficient. These were bench tested and 31 hz has almost the same output as 1kHz.

My guess is that you will gain nothing getting the IPR2.  If you are on a 15 amp circuit, put the money to getting a 20 amp circuit, lol.  More power is a waste as far as the sub/s.  If the 4th light on the I Nuke is lighting up and you are hitting the limiter and occassionally bottoming the driver, you may be close to reaching Xmech.  I can botton to driver on the sealed subs before the limiter kicks in or the channel knob goes red.

My only beef with them is that they're horribly stupid looking. Silver? Really? Why is the front round? Why are the lights orange? What nitwit designed this case? You've got guys resorting to spray painting the thing black. Dumbest thing I've ever seen.

My only beef with them is that they're horribly stupid looking

I may be one of the few that likes the sliver and rounded contour, lol.  The orange is cool to.  Mines are next to the TV, lol.

Do you ever have the knobs go red(super nova)?

Edited by derrickdj1

My only beef with them is that they're horribly stupid looking. Silver? Really? Why is the front round? Why are the lights orange? What nitwit designed this case? You've got guys resorting to spray painting the thing black. Dumbest thing I've ever seen.

They look like something more suited for car audio.