Opinon wanted on Center Channel Match for Chorus II's

brad0112

Hi - 

I picked up a pair of Chorus II's and was thinking about also upgrading my center channel.  I have an currently have an Icon KC25 and also a KV2

I am thinking either of an Academy or possibly a single Heresy II if I come across one?

Thoughts?

Joel

Edited by brad0112
  • Like 1

If you can accommodate it, another Chorus II or a Forte II is the best match, because you have the matching Tractrix midrange horns. The Quartet would be next best... Again because of the Tractrix horn in the midrange.

The Academy is a closer match (exponential horns) to the Forte I and Chorus I. The Heresy II is in the same boat (exponential horns) but would be able to keep up (sensitivity wise) to the Chorus II.

The KLF-C7 works very well between the Forte/Chorus II... I used it until I was able to get a Forte II between my Chorus II's.

The Icon and KV2 would be my last choice as they are completely different and would have a hard time keeping up with the Chorus II.

• Like 1

I was thinking Quartet, too.  The major reasoning is to have the "Tractrix" midrange which, IMHO, is just outstanding. 

A Quartet on its side would fit under a display better than the Forte II or Chorus II.  But it is probably almost impossible to find a single of any of these.  so you might well have to settle on something which was made to be a lone center.

WMcD

• Like 1

Interesting thoughts, thanks everyone.  

On the Quartet side, someone has for sale locally a pair of Quartet's for $300 that look nice....and KLF-C7 listed on eBay currently is $279.  But I don't need 2 speakers...but I could try and split up the pair. 

• Like 1

A pair of Quartets for $300?  :o

Take them.  Take them now! 

+++

Then if you decide you don't like them, you can sell them for their market value, which is $400-500.  B)

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Keep the Quartets together... They're getting harder to find. As mentioned you can use one as a center and the other could be used as a "center back" speaker in a 6.1 setup. If you happen to have a big "box type" subwoofer in the back of the room you can put the Quartet on top of it. That big Tractrix midrange can really fill in the sound stage in the back of any room.

They also work great as surrounds and of course two channel. Wish I still had my Quartets, Forte II's and Chorus II's... But the upgrade bug will eventually come calling and they were all sold to put together my LaScala system.

• Like 2