Amp replacement for RW-10

Dankimus

the port exits the enclosure through the bottom front, below the forward facing driver. It is a large oval at the exit, reducing port diameter as it extends diagonally up into the enclosure. I watched another movie last night at moderate volume levels and it makes the sound pretty consistently across lower frequencies. It really seems to be a fluttering sound the air is making as it squeezes through the narrower port opening inside the box.

Yes make sure it is sealed. Thinking it was 250 watts before your replacement. Gentleman you are speaking to with the Rottweiler avatar is more knowledgeable than I by eons, I will continue to follow.

The amp that was in the sub originally had a high pass filter that would attenuate frequencies below the tune of the box.  For example if the box was tuned to 30 Hz, the sub plate amp would not pass frequencies below that point to keep the driver from damaging itself by moving beyond it's linear limit.  The port was configured by the manufacturer to be quiet within the safe operating parameters of the driver/amp combination.  Your new amp has no such limiter and will pass whatever frequency it's sent.  There is more air moving through the port now that the driver is playing lower than it was designed to do.  More cone movement means more air passing through the port which equals chuffing.  Be careful on really low passages that you don't damage the driver.  If you hear any "clacking" or slapping noises, turn it down QUICK.

• Like 2

Modding port may be too much to do. And how to do.

You'd need the TS parameters of the driver but you wouldn't be able to get them from Klipsch.  Parts Express sells a device for around 100 to 150 dollars that will give you TS specs of a driver once it's hooked up.  From there you could plug all your info into winisd and you could figure out optimal port size.  I'd probably let it chuff away for now and reuse the amp on another project once the driver gives it up in the current box though.

• Like 1

I'd probably let it chuff away for now and reuse the amp on another project once the driver gives it up in the current box though

Yeah, not too worried about it.  It sounds great for music.  I just turn it down a bit for movies to keep the chuffing down.  Thanks for the knowledge.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...