FD's Dolby Atmos HT Design & Build Thread

fuzzydog

Thanks, Nismo. I will need to invest in a receiver/amp combination that will handle a 7.2.4 Atmos setup before the CDT-5650's start singing. Any recommendations?

Looks awesome FD, congrats!! What's you budget?? I'd say look at Denon or Marantz.

I don't have a target budget, but I would be looking for the best value.

I love the sound of our Pioneer receiver with its class-d amplifier section, but the new Pioneer SC 9x series seem to only support 9 channels so I'd still need to add an external amp.

I don't have a target budget, but I would be looking for the best value.

I love the sound of our Pioneer receiver with its class-d amplifier section, but the new Pioneer SC 9x series seem to only support 9 channels so I'd still need to add an external amp.

You'll need an external amp no matter if you buy Denon, Marantz or Pioneer. Not sure if anyone makes a receiver with 11 built in amps. But, I've never looked. If you like Pioneer I would stick with them.

Looks like Yamaha made one, but I can't tell how old it is, just that it's discontinued and it doesn't support Atmos.

Here's one:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_580TXN3030/Onkyo-TX-NR3030.html?tp=179&awkw=86593030345&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=53727174865&awdv=t

Edited by Rowan611

Most of the room has received one coat of primer at the end of today.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Dang it! I don't know why my photos are sideways.

jack-daniels-n7-750cc-.jpg:D

Progress looks great, moving along nicely.

Nice to see things moving a long.  I do think the Jack Daniels has something to do with the sideways photos, lol.  Carry on and happy building!

Thanks, Nismo. I will need to invest in a receiver/amp combination that will handle a 7.2.4 Atmos setup before the CDT-5650's start singing. Any recommendations?

Ah man, just now caught this post. Selection is always about timing & the inevitable AVR leapfrog. A year ago Denon's product line had a leg up with Atmos. Fast forward to today & many of Denon's current offerings (are minus HDCP 2.2 & DTS:X) & have been surpassed by other more recent efforts from Pioneer, Onkyo, Yamaha etc.

There is one AVR out there now that offers 135wpc x 11, which matches with your 7.2.4 setup... the Onkyo NR 3030 . It's quite the beast, offering Atmos &  HDCP 2.2 compliance, but sadly it does not offer DTS:X. Obviously an Atmos capable 135wpc x 11 is going to be a higher ticket item, sucks one would actually have to compromise at that level & not get DTS;X.

I'll check into a few 7 & 9 channel options, that I would consider if I was a buyer today... those would all require the addition of an external amp(s).

Edited by Nismo

Couple of updates and a troubleshooting questions...

The projector is up...

post-56797-0-73360000-1444610546_thumb.j

New couch has arrived...

post-56797-0-41600000-1444610608_thumb.j

The motorized retractable screen just went up today and it's been mounted level, but it has a ripple...do these things flatten out if you leave them down for a while? The HVAC vents cause the screen to sway a bit too when they're blowing.

post-56797-0-97360000-1444610786_thumb.j

post-56797-0-30840000-1444610841_thumb.j

Edited by FuzzyDog

I've experimented by pulling down in the middle of the screen at the bottom to simulate a bit of sag in the frame and the waves in the corners go away.  I'm wondering if they plan for a bit of creep in the frame over time that will flatten out the screen. 

Are there any adjustment screws in the weight bar? Mine had similar waves but was easily fixed after adjusting it with the tension screws.

The weight bar just seems to be a solid piece.  I don't remember seeing any screws, but I'll double check it tonight. 

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of updates and a troubleshooting questions...

The projector is up...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

New couch has arrived...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The motorized retractable screen just went up today and it's been mounted level, but it has a ripple...do these things flatten out if you leave them down for a while? The HVAC vents cause the screen to sway a bit too when they're blowing.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I have the 5020ub. Awesome projector. However your Cinema filter motor in it is a ticking time bomb. I had to replace the one in mine with a new motor and so far it has worked out very well. You can hear the motor moving internally on startup. If it starts grinding, then you know your in trouble. It also doesn't matter if your using the cinema filter or not, the motor still moves and repositions on startup.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How come the rc64ii is slightly cutting into the visibility of the screen??

Just adjust the throw on the projector to make the image a hair smaller and be happy.

I've got about an inch and half of adjustment left in my "U" bolts that I can use to pull up the screen.  It actually looks worse in the pictures than it is in reality. 

• 3 months later...

Guys, I'm hoping you can help me with suggestions on how to tackle a bad null in my room.  

When seated on the right hand side of my couch, there is a sensation that there is no sound coming from the left surround speakers.  My wife says that she actually feels an uncomfortable pressure on her ear drum.  

What is the best way to fix a null like this?

• 1 year later...

Quick pic for anyone on the fence about committing to a home theater.  It's totally worth it!  Game of Thrones is fantastic on a 125" 16:9 screen.  

IMG_0717.thumb.JPG.fcb9ea89761f4f78aaacd148ea995e38.JPG

Since my last post on this thread, I've added a Denon 6300 receiver for full Atmos capability and completed one of two Stereo Integrity 18" subs.  

• Like 2