B&W Speakers?

philly0116

Emotiva and B&W Enjoy that :)

Is that a serious comment or you think it would sound bad?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I was being sarcastic sorry , I don't know your budget or what your after . I owned Emotiva gear before also and all different brands and speakers , I am probably one of the top ones for swapping out gear and sometimes forget that everyone needs a starting point . Again Sorry and best of luck   

• Like 1

Emotiva and B&W Enjoy that :)

Is that a serious comment or you think it would sound bad?

I was being sarcastic sorry , I don't know your budget or what your after . I owned Emotiva gear before also and all different brands and speakers , I am probably one of the top ones for swapping out gear and sometimes forget that everyone needs a starting point . Again Sorry and best of luck
No harm done!

I own B&W 802D with matching sub. They are sitting in front of my K-Horns right now. I have the Nautilus center and a pair of B&W 805D for rears. I also have Klipschorns, Belles, La Scala, a couple of Epic series, and on and on. The B&W are amazing. Time-aligned and the bass is astounding. They require a minimum of 50 watts due to the difference in efficiency, but I have driven them with several vintage Sansui pieces. The B&W just sound great. Not that they out perform the Klipschorns (well they do on the top end), but the soundstage blows away the corner horns. They are wonderful, wonderful speakers. Accuracy is astounding. I find them very beautiful and the construction is a work of art.

I am in the process of building another sound room to house my Klipsch speakers dedicated to vintage gear and mainly two-channel listening, but the room will be set up for multi-channel as well. Music is on at our place constantly.

I planned on running them on my Emotiva amp which is 125wpc @ 8ohm and 200wpc @ 4ohm, that should be sufficient to drive them then.

You won't be disappointed! I had not planned on buying the 802 Diamonds, but I was offered an unbelievable price. The 802D retail for about $15,000. They are the second pair of B&W I have owned. I was not impressed with my first pair which where the DM-10. I traded them for a pair of Bose 901. I was surprised at how good I could make the Bose sound, but I only kept them a couple of weeks before selling them. The 802D will reveal every flaw on a recording.

• Like 2

I own B&W 802D with matching sub. They are sitting in front of my K-Horns right now. I have the Nautilus center and a pair of B&W 805D for rears. I also have Klipschorns, Belles, La Scala, a couple of Epic series, and on and on. The B&W are amazing. Time-aligned and the bass is astounding. They require a minimum of 50 watts due to the difference in efficiency, but I have driven them with several vintage Sansui pieces. The B&W just sound great. Not that they out perform the Klipschorns (well they do on the top end), but the soundstage blows away the corner horns. They are wonderful, wonderful speakers. Accuracy is astounding. I find them very beautiful and the construction is a work of art.

I am in the process of building another sound room to house my Klipsch speakers dedicated to vintage gear and mainly two-channel listening, but the room will be set up for multi-channel as well. Music is on at our place constantly.

I planned on running them on my Emotiva amp which is 125wpc @ 8ohm and 200wpc @ 4ohm, that should be sufficient to drive them then.

You won't be disappointed! I had not planned on buying the 802 Diamonds, but I was offered an unbelievable price. The 802D retail for about $15,000. They are the second pair of B&W I have owned. I was not impressed with my first pair which where the DM-10. I traded them for a pair of Bose 901. I was surprised at how good I could make the Bose sound, but I only kept them a couple of weeks before selling them. The 802D will reveal every flaw on a recording.
No one would ever sell a pair of 802D at a price I could afford!

That's what I thought, but I got the whole setup for about a third of the cost of the pair of the 802's alone. Divorce sales can be a bargain!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That's what I thought, but I got the whole setup for about a third of the cost of the pair of the 802's alone. Divorce sales can be a bargain!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

yeah i remember you telling me about this. got a steal. if i was offered the same today i would buy them also

• Like 1

The only ones I've heard were in the 600 series in a Magnolia showroom. I thought they sounded very dry and nasally, especially when A/B'ed with some Martin Logan Motion 40's. Both were powered by a Marantz receiver. The Martin Logans ran all over them.

The 802D will reveal every flaw on a recording.

To an extent.

IME, they have a great quiet to medium level presentation.....which temps the listener to play with the volume knob. With a quick twist, they rapidly fall prey to power compression just like any other direct radiator system. They can't take unlimited power. At higher levels, they quickly lose their composure. I'll refrain from getting in the dispersion characteristics of the mids, which is also a player.

I'm sure anyone that has owned them has, at some point, either experienced tapping out their amp, or have gotten the mid and bottom drivers gasping for air.

Edited by Quiet_Hollow
  • Like 1

I have yet to hear any of those problems. If I want to piss off the neighbors, I use my Klipshorns. I love both systems. I don't crank either system up to extremely loud levels. As for the 802D, I use them more in the near-field range. The only other speakers that I have owned that gave me as much pleasure is the large JBL studio monitors. At one time, I had Belles and JBL 4333a in the same room. If I ever finish all the 60's motorcycles in the garage, then I would build a pair of 4355 and be done.

• Like 1