Looking for input on the new Reference 12 subwoofer

teaman

Hi guys, Fry's is running a special today for the new Klipsch Reference 12 sub and I am tempted to pick one up.

$200 off and free shipping today. Bottom line.....$249.

Does anyone own one of these? Can you let me know what you think...

I am pairing it with some RC-3 II's and RS- 3 II's. From the specs it should work out nicely....but hands on experience is much appreciated.

For reference, it will be taking over for my Klipsch Sub 10 which I will be moving to another room.

One of the many great things about Frys is they let you buy, take home, and try the speaker for a month.  Assuming the store is nearby, you can bring it back if you don't like it.  I bought the R-12SW a couple of months ago from our local Frys with that in mind.  But I've been very happy with it and kept it.  I am no audiophile but it gives a solid bottom end for our movies (carpeted room, 30'x13', with a low acoustical-tiled ceiling).  Gain is set fairly low, I hear no 'boominess,' and it is great for music as well.  Perhaps my opinion is colored by the low price but my wife likes it, thus further justifying the purchase.  The only complaint has been from the kids two floors up.  They always know when dad's playing a movie down in the basement.  There are far better subwoofers and many of the experts here will attest to that.  Me, I had two hundred bucks and relished the idea of not spending fourteen hundred to get the effect I sought. /Steve

Edited by crackerboxpalace

It looks like that deal has expired or maybe I just can't find it on their site.  Do you have a link?

If you are on the mailing list you get a promo code to your email daily. Sign up now to get the $200 off!

One of the many great things about Frys is they let you buy, take home, and try the speaker for a month.  Assuming the store is nearby, you can bring it back if you don't like it.  I bought the R-12SW a couple of months ago from our local Frys with that in mind.  But I've been very happy with it and kept it.  I am no audiophile but it gives a solid bottom end for our movies (carpeted room, 30'x13', with a low acoustical-tiled ceiling).  Gain is set fairly low, I hear no 'boominess,' and it is great for music as well.  Perhaps my opinion is colored by the low price but my wife likes it, thus further justifying the purchase.  The only complaint has been from the kids two floors up.  They always know when dad's playing a movie down in the basement.  There are far better subwoofers and many of the experts here will attest to that.  Me, I had two hundred bucks and relished the idea of not spending fourteen hundred to get the effect I sought. /Steve

Thanks Steve, I might pull the trigger then. I do not have any Fry's in my state but it sounds like a nice sub that will do the trick for me. I think my wife will kick my arse since I already spent $500 earlier today on another XPA-2 amp though....

It looks like that deal has expired or maybe I just can't find it on their site.  Do you have a link?

If you are on the mailing list you get a promo code to your email daily. Sign up now to get the $200 off!

Thanks- will do.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi gang, I just wanted to let you know I never was able to scoop one up. No shipping on these, and no Fry's stores in Michigan. For anyone thinking about one of the Reference 12 subs though they are special of the day today once again at Fry's.

Today only $199.......so if you are local to a Fry's and would like $250 off....today is your lucky day!