Mod Klipsch RC-7

I own a pair of RC-7 centre speakers, now I want to use the drivers and horn to build normal floorstanders.

I've checked the specs and I'm confused, the horns where used in some models and also the subs where used in some models, but never combined in one floorstander.

Does anybody have an idea how to get this fixed, what kind of housing and what kind of crossovers should I use?

Hi Chris, welcome.

I'm not sure what you mean by "build normal floorstanders."  Are you thinking tall skinny enclosures that have the two woofers on the bottom and the horn on the top?

Those RC-7's are outstanding speakers and the D'Appoloto MTM design is very highly respected and can give you a very good sound.  I would use them vertically and put them on stands if you wanted to get that horn to ear level.

One of the problems you may run into if you take those RC-7's apart is that the woofers each have separate crossover points.  If you change the enclosure you are going to be changing the original design parameters, and I really don't know how that will sound.

Here is a top-of-the-line crossover for an RF-7.  I don't know if it would work properly for the RC-7 components, but if it would, this XO would be outstanding.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/157816-rf-7-point-to-point-soldered-crossovers-with-audiocap-ppt-thetas/

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

The enclosures you have are optimized for that driver combination.  The best, easiest and cheapest thing for you to do is get a pair of speaker stands that will put the tweeter at ear level when you turn the RC-7 on end and listen to them that way.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips.

I already put them on speaker stands, however, and indeed I would like to build them like the RF-5, the speakers miss some high and mid.

I tried several things, and no matter how I trie, the low is not extremely low, the mid sounds weaker and the high also sounds less strong.

i know they are centres and for that purpose they are really good. Bright voices, good positioned.

So yes indeed I'm looking for a new crossover module and cabinet layout.

Do you run a subwoofer?  That would certainly boost the lowest frequencies the RC-7's don't cover, and it will help reinforce the bass sound the RC-7's do have.

The way you describe the C-7's (which I have never heard) it sounds like they simply do not have the sonic characteristics you are looking for.  If that is the case, taking them apart and re-using the same drivers in a different enclosure is not likely to improve anything, and in fact I think it is more likely you will be spending a lot of time and money to make them sound worse.  Any resale value for them at that point would be very little compared to stock.

I would suggest you sell the C-7's and simply buy some other speakers that are more to your musical tastes.

• Like 1

They sound good, don't get me mistaken.

An option I have is to buy a pair of RF-83's, I'm gonna listen to them tomorrow.

The characteristics I'm looking for is a well balanced overall, eg if you listen to an orchestra you should hear all instruments in there full spectrum, the highs from the violins to the lows of the hobo or contra bass.

==

edit,

Yes I run two subs for the support two RW-8's, much lower volume than the RC-7's.

The reason why I choose the Klipsch is the right in your face live experience they have.

Edited by chris444123

I bought the RF-63's.

Still getting used to the sound. Think I have some issue's with my receiver, they dont blow as they should.

Receiver: Marantz SR4400

Any suggestions for a replacement receiver?  Budget € 500,= I was thinking of: ONKYO TX-NR636

I know the cows just left the barn but thought I would address the question posed.  You could take the RC7 components and place them in a larger box and get lower bass response (probably without changing the crossover but Dean and others can chime in). I built a larger CC for a guy using the RC7 components and the bottom end was stronger.  Specs on the K1083 woofers ar 43 hz fs, .36 qt, 35 lit vas.  They are 8 ohm (6.3ohm revc).  Once you have the T/S specs you can use various programs to run cabinet size and port dimensions if you want to go that route.  Dean G can probably help with a mod on the tweeter end if you contact him.  Good luck

Just to add my two cents, do not forget they are center channel speakers, speakers designed for voice. Your lows are not going to be hard hitting and in your face with a speaker such as a center - no matter how you cut it. That's why many run 3 of the same speaker across the front, so not only is the sound seamless across the front stage, but you also have more depth to the center. I would echo what others are saying and just sell the 7's.

I have the 63 knows as mentioned. What will happen to the sound if i fill the 3 holes in the back and drill new ones in the front of the speaker? Will i **** them up? I have them situated 2 mtrs or 7 feet from a wall.

Why would you want to do that? You have prime space estate to use the rear-firing ports. :) Front firing speakers I find...are...bleh.