Does anyone have experience with the KL-650-THX

Jeppe

Lots have experience with them. Stick with what you were gonna get. Better all around speakers. Now if you are 100% into movies and absolutely no music then thx is good however you can find sweet deals on them. Not sure what 2000$ more is. What's the total you found the thx ultra 2 set for? And where are you located?

I have both in the same room. THX is flatter, better for voices, can be butted up against the wall due to front ports, and due to the size much easier to have three identical LCR's. They're also pretty dry, flat out boring on music, and the bass is nonexistent comparatively. The RF-7ii is far superior if you have the room. I'm not quite as big of a fan of the 64 but most people can't fit a third RF-7ii.

• Like 1

So I take it that there wont be night and day difference compared to the rf-7 ii when watching movies?

It's pretty different. Depends on what you're watching though. If you are watching a chick flick, the dialogue will be a little more intelligible on the THX. If you're watching Metallica's concert blu ray... night and day. :) Cymbals and kick drums sound better on the bigger tweeter and there is much more midbass slam and definition. Then of course there's the difference between three identical LCR's and the reference's horizontal center that's below the screen which is pretty different in itself.

Will I do agree with colter on the thx subs being sweet subs, I'm not sure they dig as deep at the new r-115w. And for the money you can get them for I think I'd take a pair of them over the thx ones. Msrp no questions asked if get the reference ones.

The THX amp is going to be nicer though. The box may be more appropriate as well. The 12 weighs more than the 15 and that's with the 15 having an amp and the box of the 12 being smaller. Max acoustic output on the 15 is 122 db while they claim 130 db at 30 hz on the 12 if you have two, which is still louder even if you subtract 6 db. I suspect the THX would have better upper extension and could be blended better with the mains but that's just speculation.

The price in Thailand for 3 kl-650 and 2 ks-525 is 6630$.... How much would they be in USA?

And the rf-7 ii and rc-64 ii will be 4215$ Then add the rs-62 for 1204$. A total of 5219 $.

So a difference of approx. 1400$ for the sets.

• 6 years later...

Hello, everyone.

I was testing my newly purchased KL-650-THX connected to a Yamaha RX-V381 and when I played band limited pink noise to set reference level I discovered that the tweeter clips a lot when I push my receiver above -10 dB.

The noise is mixed with RMS level of -20 dBFS sine wave with peaks of -10 dBFS.

In comparison, the R-51M plays clean even at -3 dB on the receiver.

When looking at the impedance chart of the KL-650 from Audioholics, I see that from the 1400 Hz crossover frequency to the low pass frequency of the pink noise, which is 2 KHz, the tweeter swings between 9 and 11 ohms, which does not seem that much hard to drive for an RX-V381.

Is the tweeter faulty?

Do your KL-650s play band limited noise clean when pushed above 85 dB SPL?

Thanks.

Uhm... Ok... I don't know what happened exactly, but today I reconnected the speaker to my AVR, after putting it back in the box for a few days, and now it works perfectly.

I think the issue was not related to the tweeter itself, but something else: maybe a loose wire?

• Like 1