The New Amy Winehouse Documentary

Mr. Clark

So the lady and I saw the movie "Amy" yesterday, which documents Amy Winehouse's rise to fame and eventual death. Having never really listened to her music before seeing the movie, I was initially drawn in only because of the Rotten Tomatoes rating of the movie (98% at the time). 

The movie is excellent for a number of reasons. It presents the content without comment, letting home movies and interviews speak for themselves. However, what makes it really spectacular is how it weaves her music in with her personal story. Her lyrics were not just clever and her vocals were not delivered with flare. There is an emotional rawness and pain I didn't expect and her vocals land like that of a much older and more mature performer. I never knew Amy's music, but I feel like I know it much more intimately now having seen the film. 

I went out and bought an album. I had dismissed Amy Winehouse as a pop star junkie only to discover some incredible, raw talent that was lost too soon. Tony Bennet, at the end of the film, says she is one of the true legendary jazz singers--to be put alongside Sarah Vaughn and Ella. I plan on digging deep into her records this week, but thought I'd at least share my thoughts on the film. 

Regardless of experience with her music, the film stands alone as a truly remarkable music documentary. I feel that even those who might know and ultimately dislike her music might find themselves enjoying the movie. I highly recommend seeing it if you can find a way. It's playing at a number of places around here in Chicago. 

Cheers.

Edited by Mr. Clark
  • Like 3

I would enjoying seeing the documentry on Amy Winehouse.  I just purchase some of her music for the first time last week.  Tony Bennet was correct, she will remembered for her style and voice.  She may have felt a need to be loved and understood but, the real problem with her, Whitney Houston and other stars that die seemly so unhappy is that they never learned to loved themselves.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

Amy was a fantastic nouveau Jazz singer.  I caught her early on and fell in love with her music.

She was Trouble(d) and new it.  If you get a chance, check out this DVD/BluRay....

Amy%20Winehouse%20I%20told%20you%20I%20w

The bonus features are good and there is a "demo" she did in a producers office (IIRC) of "No Greater Love" with only

a guitar accompaniment.  Fantastic! 

Also, check out her first album "Frank", it may be her best album....

Amy_Winehouse_-_Frank.png

Thanks for the heads up on the new Documentary, I'll keep my eye out for it.

Dennie

• Like 3

I've never bad so completely crushed by the death of a musician, not Janis, not Jimmie, nobody. It's so bad I can't bring myself to listen to her music anymore. 

I'm a huge fan. I considered her to be one of those singers that only comes along once in a generation. her talents were still nascent at her death and what she still had to create and sing can only be imagined.  I really can't explain the depth of feeling evoked whenever I hear her name mentioned. It is sad, sad, sad.

Check out this take on her song "Valerie"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqSKVv6YO8g