I really can't decide

oldred

So.....here is my dilemma.

Bought a pair of Forte's....finally negotiated the guy down to a good price &375.00 for a pair in black lacquer .The drivers are pristine...the cabinets not so .So I decided to strip and refinish. Was originally going to refinish in black...but I find out that this is a mystery black lacquer only available in Hope Arkansas....some kind a stuff with a # 40 sheen ....I read all the specs and a lot of optional alternatives.. the problem I have is after removing the drivers and stripping....do I really want to cover this beautiful grain. Thought of going with India ink and going back to black ....but I just do not know??

post-36197-0-57300000-1436909478_thumb.j

post-36197-0-27420000-1436909499_thumb.j

post-36197-0-18580000-1436909525_thumb.j

post-36197-0-71060000-1436909548_thumb.j

post-36197-0-29980000-1436909561_thumb.j

• Like 1

Yea.....black is definitely out.....so it will be oil or lacquer. I still need to go over them with 0000 steal wool and lacquer thinner 1 more time to get all the black out of grain......then 200....then.....400 grit.....Then finish......should be done in a week or so

Edited by oldred
  • Like 3

Do I just need a sander?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a good orbital sander and some 80 grit to get everything nice and flat. Then go over it with 150 grit to get everything slick. If you are worried about how the wood will take the stain, put some sealer stuff ( don't remember the name I used) on the wood first before you stain. this makes the wood take the stain more even. Use a gloss poly if you want a good shine. It is easy to work with and leaves a nice shine that doesn't hold dust!!

• Like 1

Please DO NOT sand them with a sander....go to Home Depot/ Lowe's/ Menard's/ Walmart....which ever is the best for you ....buy 15 minute chemical stripper....Paint scapper( the one I got the blade came down from the handle on a slight angle( Walmart $5.00) got some kind of blue stripping pads with the plastic handle (Walmart $4.00) a couple more blue replacement stripper pads (Guess where...the W store again).. Oh yea rubber gloves...not the doctor kind ...the science class kind...the W store again...cant remember how much??

The stripper pads ...say they will strip all sorts of S... but they will not harm the wood...saw them ...said WTF....worked great.

I put the gloves on my hands ...the stripper on the wood and went to cut the lawn...came back 20 minutes later...scraped the black lacquer off...came off kind of spottie...put some more stripper on .....fired the lawnmower back up...came back 15 minutes later again went over that side again this time using the blue stripper pads in a circular motion....you know what's next...bada bing bada bang...no more black lacquer...one side done... I did this over and over again....till I was done cutting the lawn.....What is it they say about the definition of insanity???...My wife thinks I am

When all done ....next take lacquer thinner and a S... load of paper towels and wipe them off....Ah ...nothing like the smell of lacquer thinner on a hot day cutting the lawn...don't forget the cold beverage of your choice...after having SO much fun I washed them down a damp towel..

Waited 2 days went over them again with 0000 steel wool and some more lacquer thinner....good stuff...the paper towel and the OLD damp towel thing again... Then sanded by hand 220 then 400.... could have been worse...could have just been watching TV.... The worse part for me of course the W store

Edited by oldred
  • Like 4

Use a respirator when using those chemicals.  They aren't kidding about the brain damage warnings.  

For the wood shop a p100 filter is great to keep the dust out of your lungs.   I also use them when mowing because of allergy troubles.

Here's an example of a half mask with p100 filters:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-6000-Facepiece-Respirator-Medium/dp/B000FTEDMM

To protect from some chemical fumes you can use these next two filters with this same mask. 

For when using with a wide variety of fumes (this one also has the p100 filter):

For lacquer thinner protection without the dust protection you could use the 6001 cartridge:

Instead of changing filters I'd just get the one with the p100 built in so I'm not messing with it between cutting wood and using any solvents or epoxies. 
Store it in a ziplock to keep the filter fresh (it continues to filter when you aren't wearing it).   I can tell when it's used up when I can start to smell the chemicals again even with the mask on.