I really can't decide

oldred

I was going to say if you did the black, to do it like the KG 3.0 Signature Series were done. Like a see through black laquer. You get the best of both worlds with the wood grain showing through and the black. Those are very nice though. Getting ready to refinish a pair of KG 4.2's myself and may just go your route on stripping and redoing them.

• Like 2

I like black speakers, as I think they should heard and not seen.  :D   That being said... do not paint those speakers black!

They have a beautiful grain, and you did a great job stripping them.

I'm thinking the closest color to the original Klipsch was Minwax Golden Oak, 2 coats.

027426700017lg.jpg

Then put at least two and maybe three coats of satin polyurethane, letting it dry three days between coats, hand sanding with 220 between coats.  I think you wait a week after the third poly coat to sand, and the third might not be needed.  The satin is not shiny and it looks the most like the stock Klipsch finish.

+++

If you've already made your decisions and have stained, please disregard this post.  It won't hurt my feelings.  Much.  :(

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

Oldred

I have a pair of black KLF 20s that need some work. WVU said 2 coats of golden oak, I think that would come pretty close to matching the 30s and C7 I have in medium oak. Since you're 5 minutes away, is there a time I could swing by and see your work? I have stripper and wash but its nasty stuff, maybe you can help me with some advise?

TY

Mark

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Oldred

I have a pair of black KLF 20s that need some work. WVU said 2 coats of golden oak, I think that would come pretty close to matching the 30s and C7 I have in medium oak. Since you're 5 minutes away, is there a time I could swing by and see your work? I have stripper and wash but its nasty stuff, maybe you can help me with some advise?

TY

Mark

The smallest can of Minwax is plenty for a couple of speakers.  I applied mine with a brush and wiped off excess with a rag.  Two coats of stain will be darker than one, I would try one coat and see how you like it.  You can also practice on a board or on the bottom first, as there is plenty of stain.

For the poly, read the can and see what it recommends.  I was going to use 3 coats, but I liked it so well with two I just stopped there, and I think 2 coats is what the can recommended.

Here's an excerpt from my first ever post on this site:

• Minwax Golden Oak stain it is, one coat. I don't want the finish darker, but as close to factory as possible.
  • Just the opposite of a James Bond 007 martini, the stain will be stirred, not shaken
  • Light sand with 220
  • Apply stain with rag, wait 2-3 minutes, wipe excess with a clean dry rag
  • Practice on bottoms first. (I really like that idea)
  • After it dries, no more sanding

This thread may answer a lot of your questions when refinishing, and it has lots of good links.

Edited by wvu80

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...