EV DH1A diaphragms

NBPK402

Does anyone know where I can get a good deal on some BNIB original diaphragms? I just picked up one for $80, but most of them are $180. I might be looking for as many as 5 more.

tia,

Ron

• Like 1

Check these out I have purchased many Altec diaphragms from this company and did a side by side test with the factory one and they sounded the same and are still going strong years later at high sound levels.

http://www.soundspeakerrepair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SSR&Product_Code=EV-DH1-16-Diaphragm&Category_Code=DIA

Thanks, that is a more reasonable price than $180 for old stock. I will order several from them for myself and my friend. Neither one of us will be pushing more than 1 watt through them. :)

• Like 1

Thanks Mark, I was just curious what horns were in the pic you posted. I have no way to get 3 horns anyway.

Call Tim, his number is listed in the thread i posted.

Quite frankly i was like a kid in a candy store there, but i had a load to make and two helpers to pay, so my time was nothing more that taking the pics i took.

I dont know the Klipsch models/line well enough to look at something and know what it is.

I picked up two of those horns for Duder in Ohmaha and took them to him on the way back here. he would know also the type horns.

• Like 1

Hi Ron

Funny this should come up. dont know where to get the diaphragms.

However just coming back from a Klipsch surplus in St Louis, he has a few horns in stock @$100 Ea.

I asked Tim about those last week and they were all spoken for.

Nice guy to deal with, I might end up taking a ride for some other horns

Mark

• Like 2

Hi Ron

Funny this should come up. dont know where to get the diaphragms.

However just coming back from a Klipsch surplus in St Louis, he has a few horns in stock @$100 Ea.

I asked Tim about those last week and they were all spoken for.

Nice guy to deal with, I might end up taking a ride for some other horns

Mark

Take a ride and a camera just to see what he has in that place, there is a whole bunch of goodies for sale that unless you ask he will not say. so this is a look-see-buy place.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The horns are the EV HP9040 with the EV DH1A drivers, I can't believe he has all 38 spoken for.  Good for him, he does still have 16 MWM bass bins, and  knock offs by HPS.

I would hardly call the HPS versions of the MWM bins as "knockoffs" since they were all built by Gary Gillum, and his company (with PWK approval), former Klipsch Chief Engineer and co-inventor/patent holder of the MWM with PWK.

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 3

The horns are the EV HP9040 with the EV DH1A drivers, I can't believe he has all 38 spoken for.  Good for him, he does still have 16 MWM bass bins, and  knock offs by HPS.

I would hardly call the HPS versions of the MWM bins as "knockoffs" since they were all built by Gary Gillum, and his company (with PWK approval), former Klipsch Chief Engineer and co-inventor/patent holder of the MWM with PWK.

True, I just didn't want to call them mwms as they are not.

True, I just didn't want to call them mwms as they are not.

Good point, since they were not built in Hope. The only reason I know this, is when I got my MWMs (sold my Khorns, dropped them off in Toronto, and drove to Ottawa with trailer to pick up 4 MWMs bins), I called Gary Gillum, who I had met briefly when I toured the factory the day my avatar photo was taken by my wife.

In his retirement, he was kind enough to grant me a phone interview and explain to me how they were developed, which is a fascinating story in itself (I still have the recording). 

When I designed the Quarter Pie, I tried to improve the core section of the MWM with 50 different iterations in Hornresp. Paul originally wanted to stack up the core sections as short horns on stage, for PA systems but it didn't work until they dropped a big piece of plywood on top, then vavoom, it was "let there be BASS."

None of my iterations improved the original core section, so I simply made a 1/4 of a Pie shape and stuck in inside, which gave us an "L" shaped horn with only ONE turn. It modeled very well, measured like the model, and sounded really good while saving over 40% of floor space while only sacrificing 5 Hz. at the bottom, which, nowadays, we all use Subwoofers for anyhow. Simpler is better.

To get this thread back on track, I coached the OP, who built 3 of my Qpies for his HT. With the big JBL's and EV drivers with Mini DSP's he seems pretty happy. Any slight deviation from new diaphragms can be compensated for with the PEQ settings, so it's hard to miss when you take the full "systems" approach to sound.

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 3

My new amps have no gain controls... I am using MiniDSPs which also do not allow me to change the gain of the horns vs the 1/4 pies... Does anyone know of a good way to do this short of replacing my MiniDSPs?

My new amps have no gain controls... I am using MiniDSPs which also do not allow me to change the gain of the horns vs the 1/4 pies... Does anyone know of a good way to do this short of replacing my MiniDSPs?

I would just get some autoformers from Bob Crites, which have a 1db attenuation level. They will raise the impedance of the midrange, and use 75-90% less power from the amplifier. About -6 to -9 db or so should get you there.

Or use resistors, where you would turn the excess energy to heat, but it's easier to just "pick a tap" on the autoformer, rather than mess with series/parallel resistor networks. Or just get some "L" pads, which are a variable resistor. 

I still think the autoformer route is the best overall, but the most costly at about $120 vs. power resistors at 1/10th the price.

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 1