Should I jump on these?

There are a pair of KP-301's on Craigslist for $265 dollars, one of them needs a new mid diaphragm (under $50) The owner of these has them in a storage locker, and has no way to hook them up for me to test before I buy.  He had them at $300 but just dropped them to $265 today.  Would I be crazy to buy these without being able to first test them?

What is the condition of the cabinets otherwise? According to pics or conversation. Some storage lockers have electric hookup. A small receiver and some  6 foot of wire or so would enable you to listen, even one at a time. Maybe you can see through the grilles to see woofer condition. Have seen these go for $4-500+ a pair so.

Not any help but $50 may be right for the diaphragm.

In any case, for that amount, in otherwise good condition, it should be a safe investment. IMLimited Opinion.

• Like 1

I'd called him when he had them listed at $300 and he wouldn't come down, he states in his ad that he will part them in a couple of days if he can't get the $265 for them.  I kinda doubt he'll go $200.  I may call him up and take a look at them.  Funny you mention them as garage speakers, that is one of the applications I had in mind.

Id offer two Bones and call-em garage speakers.

• Like 2

I'd called him when he had them listed at $300 and he wouldn't come down, he states in his ad that he will part them in a couple of days if he can't get the $265 for them.  I kinda doubt he'll go $200.  I may call him up and take a look at them.  Funny you mention them as garage speakers, that is one of the applications I had in mind.

Id offer two Bones and call-em garage speakers.

I readup on these in reviews in Calf, they are/were not highly reguarded in most reviews, every speaker company has their beaters for the masses, that's the way i took the reviews, just google and read for days.

Pass then.

Those speakers have probably been DJ'd hard over the years and there's no telling what you're going to find inside.  I bought some KP-301-II's that looked really nice.  They had 2 different crossovers (one only worked occasionally and was for a I instead of a II) and 2 different tweeter diaphragms.  There's a reason you can't demo them.  I normally bring a chip amp with a cigarette lighter adapter with LONG speaker wires and an ipod to demo speakers so there's no excuse.  You can talk him down even further once you point out what all doesn't work.

Edited by CECAA850
  • Like 3

PE has a Dayton chip amp for under $30. it can run off a few double A's. It is plenty of power to see if something is seriously wrong. I have brought it with me a couple of times and tested speakers. I use it in my office with a pair of KSB 1.1's when not taking it on the road (come with an cord also)

PE has a Dayton chip amp for under $30. it can run off a few double A's. It is plenty of power to see if something is seriously wrong. I have brought it with me a couple of times and tested speakers. I use it in my office with a pair of KSB 1.1's when not taking it on the road (come with an cord also)

I bring a cigarette lighter adapter and long alligator clips.  If I can't get my car close enough to the speakers, I bring the speakers to the car.

As far as Demoing speakers before purchase, never, not one time for any purchased, up to and including the 4way MCM pairs i just bought.

My first reason for not demoing is, i only go for the 'DEALS", im going to tear into everything i buy anyway, and when finding something not quite right, it gets replaced.

I could replace everything in the speaker and still be ahead because it was a "good deal".

Second and most important reason to me, the guy's in this hobby have class/respect, and i treat accordingly.

We are not dealing with some 16 year old kid running dads kilowatt Mac Amp into a pair of Scalas and fryin them.

Guess my world is what i make it, iv little reason NOT to trust the person/deal.

Edited by minermark
  • Like 3

I think that I'll pass.  Since I can't demo them the risk vs reward just isn't enough in my favor.  Thanks to all for the advice!

My instincts are with you on this.

I was going to suggest you shoot him a "I don't want to buy them" price then you wouldn't be out very much if they needed more work than anticipated.  Based on the prices  Minermark researched directly upstream, I don't think I would go a penny above $200, especially with a known problem.

You are smart to not "fall in love" with the speakers.  It gives you the advantage as a buyer, and will keep you out of trouble more often than not.  B)

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

Thanks guys, it is easy to get a little too excited and not think clearly when you see what you think is a good deal on craigslist.  I knew you'd set me straight!

We expect you to do the same for us!  :lol:

(or more personally, I expect you to do the same for me when I get speaker lust for stuff I don't need, which is every night on this forum)   :rolleyes: