Extra Atmos Eye Candy

Nismo

Any thoughts on using a pair of RP-140SA as front heights with RP-250Fs until upgrading to a receiver that supports Atmos? I'm currently running a Marantz SR6007 and I'm not planning on upgrading until the HDCP 2.2 models come down in price.

Hmm it's only a 4" with a 1" with a hefty price tag to boot. I can't see this being worth it IMO. I would think my 7's would drown it out completely then again I maybe wrong. Why not make a few different models with a 5" or 6" driver to accompany the bigger towers. I'm on the fence and need to hear a demo before I venture up to the whole atmos world. 

Hmm it's only a 4" with a 1" with a hefty price tag to boot. I can't see this being worth it IMO. I would think my 7's would drown it out completely then again I maybe wrong. Why not make a few different models with a 5" or 6" driver to accompany the bigger towers. I'm on the fence and need to hear a demo before I venture up to the whole atmos world.

i thought the same. I decided to leave it alone until I hear them.

i thought the same. I decided to leave it alone until I hear them.

Yea I can see them on your 904's!! Rofl!!!! You'd be better off stacking your Cornwalls on them shooting straight up. CornAtmos!!

Edited by Coleman
  • Like 1

My 7's don't drown them out at all. Well... if I laid my 7's on their back, shooting straight up at the ceiling, then maybe. (lol)  The upper sound stage produced with an Atmos audio track, doesn't compete with the 7's... (its not designed to compete with your other speakers). The upward firing modules (or ceiling speakers) & the Atmos specific audio track.... compliments your existing speakers by adding content above you, where otherwise... there would be no content. If someone has L/R/C speakers that drown them out, then one does not have their set up properly calibrated. My RF-7, RC-7 & RS-7's have never once sent audio "above" my listening position. Even if I had ceiling or (high) wall mount speakers in place... an Atmos specific track sends material to those speakers differently than traditional height channels via DTS or DD5.1 Atmos is not channel based... its object based & send audio differently.

On the surface (without knowing the spec & required algorithms) a future 6" or 8" driver might be of interest... but since the Front & Rear Heights primarily focus on the upper range, it could be that a 6" or 8" driver does not meet with the spec as well. RIght now, every current production model of Atmos upward firing modules (from KEF, Pioneer, Def-Tech, Onkyo, Klipsch) all have 4" to 5-1/4" drivers & all are Dolby approved. Dolby generates the spec & Klipsch has confirmed they have met & conform to Dolby spec. Works fine in my house. Better than fine actually.

From Dolby:

A Dolby Atmos home theater is more flexible and adaptable than channel-based home

theater. In a channel-based system with channel-based content, the number of playback

speakers is fixed: a 7.1 system consisting of seven speakers and one subwoofer is used to play

7.1 content. Additionally, there is no height information in the content. With Dolby Atmos, in

contrast, you have amazing flexibility: the format provides more detailed sound by

rendering to overhead or height speakers and/or to more than seven speakers at the listener

level. As you add speakers, a Dolby Atmos enabled receiver will use them to create even more immersive audio. 

Sound designers are freed from channel restrictions. Sounds flow above and around you in step with the visuals,

bringing a new sense of height to your listening experience. 

Edited by Nismo
  • Like 1

Based on what I've got into my system... $499 (street price) is nothing. In fact, as far as "changing" the audio experience with movies at my house... $499 is well spent. I sure wouldn't go back to a previous set up. Skepticism exists (I understand that) but, I also recall (when it was introduced) people said that Blu-ray was not worth it, it would never last; 1080p was overkill (no need for anything over 720i); you don't need anything more than 5.1, etc. etc.

I'm not attempting to convince or persuade anyone, just sharing my first hand experience. I'll be watching 5.2.4 this weekend & enjoying every minute of it.

Edited by Nismo

Nismo is right, it really is an immersive experience and I for one thoroughly enjoy the sound experience. Everyone that I have demoed my system for has stated that is was like a 360 degree experience. I would suggest, if you are building a new system, to incorporate discrete in-ceiling speakers into the build project to include Dolby Atmos. There's always the questions of why would we now use "reflection" as we have worked towards stopping FR reflection. Think about it...If you want sound to come from the top, then install speakers in the ceiling. IMO.

Edited by Superdave
  • Like 1

• Moderators
Skepticism exists (I understand that) but, I also recall (when it was introduced) people said that Blu-ray was not worth it, it would never last; 1080p was overkill (no need for anything over 720i); you don't need anything more than 5.1, etc. etc.

Valid point.  I remember saying I would NEVER fill up a 4GB hard drive too.  800GB full on my computer now.  I truly hope it is everything it claims to be.  I've just not heard it myself to confirm.

I'm not attempting to convince or persuade anyone, just sharing my first hand experience. I'll be watching 5.2.4 this weekend & enjoying every minute of it.

I think most of us appreciate that...even the skeptics.

• Like 1

Nismo is right, it really is an immersive experience and I for one thoroughly enjoy the sound experience. Everyone that I have demoed my system for has stated that is was like a 360 degree experience. I would suggest, if you are building a new system, to incorporate the build to include Dolby Atmos.

And I would add, that your system with ceiling speakers work perfectly with Atmos. Ceiling speakers (whether existing or new install) will deliver any Atmos authored track & conform to the required Dolby spec. I think some may get confused thinking that they will "need" Atmos speakers to deliver Atmos content. If you are currently using ceiling speakers....you do not need new speakers, you're already set to deliver an Atmos authored Blu-ray (provided your AVR/PRE-PRO can decode it). 

The only reason anyone would need new speakers, is if you currently do not have (or do not plan to have) ceiling speakers. In that instance, you will need to get audio up & over the main listening position. You will need to have speakers capable of reproducing overhead sound. The only way to get content above the MLP... is to fire it upward with a new speaker category (at a predetermined angle, modifying select frequency/crossover & bass management). That "new" speaker category is the Atmos Enabled Speaker: The Integrated Tower or Add-on Module.

Dolby developed the new format & algorithm capable of rendering overhead audio. They also developed new authoring tools & new encoding methods for the home environment (to replicate the Atmos Cinema experience). Dolby determined the spec required for speaker manufacturers to produce (upward firing) Atmos Enabled speakers (when ceiling speakers are not an option). With Atmos you can add up to 10 ceiling or upward firing speakers. That flexible configuration should be able to fill any space with the proper Atmos experience.

I experienced my first Atmos experience yesterday at BB. I am sold!

It was with the Pioneer Elite speakers but it was truly an eye opening experience.

Cool. The Pioneer floor standing towers ( SP-EFS73)... or the bookshelf versions (SP-EBS73)?

Of note, both the towers & the bookshelves use a 4" Atmos driver.

• Moderators

Just watched the video I posted....seems like the guys at Audioholics are excited about DTS:X and find Atmos to be a joke since they are bounding sound off ceilings.  Looks like they prefer a more discrete speaker.  Guess time will tell which format will be better.  Regardless, it's cool to see technology advancing.

• Like 1

Just watched the video I posted....seems like the guys at Audioholics are excited about DTS:X and find Atmos to be a joke since they are bounding sound off ceilings.  Looks like they prefer a more discrete speaker.  Guess time will tell which format will be better.  Regardless, it's cool to see technology advancing.

If they find Atmos a joke, then they did not receive a proper demo.

• Like 1

That's because normally one strives to eliminate reflection.

With Atmos upward firing speakers... you actually flip the script & want reflection.

Might be tough for some to wrap their head around the concept. 

Same for object based sound design vs. traditional channels. 

With ceiling speakers (perfect for Atmos) you don't bounce anything off the ceiling.

Oh no !! Audioholics think its a joke. lol 

Edited by Nismo
  • Like 1