KG4 + B&K ST140 = Pain?

It sounds more like a speaker problem than an amp problem.  directing the speakers slightly away from directly at the ears and cutting the HF response a few db may help.  It will be interesting to see what direction other may point you in when other members chime in on the thread.

Your flashlight is not too powerful, and neither is your amp.  Try what derrickdj1 suggested. 

Amps with greater power are used with Klipsch all the time.  A very few modern amps have greater distortion at lower wattage (below 1 watt or so) than at higher power.  Since your speakers are very efficient (compared to most) and you listen at low volumes, there is a slight chance that this is the problem.  Also, the high end uses much less wattage with most music than the low (by about a 20:1 ratio).  The low wattage distortion thing was more common in the early days of solid state (late '60s, early '70s).  What year are your Carver and our B & K?

Are your Lps worn out?  Sometimes going to a system with higher resolution will expose distortion that had been in hiding before.

I would have a hard time thinking that your AKAI was better in some way.  A friend of mine was an audio repair guy who was picked by The Bay Guardian as "The Best in the Bay Area."  He had a very large fire axe mounted on his wall.  It was labeled "AKAI Repair Kit."

Edited by garyrc

I have run 300 wpc @8ohm amps through my Kg4's and they are totally fine with it. I would say dink around with your directivity of the speaker itself. To anyone not used to Klipsch horn output it may take you a bit to get used to, but sounds like you are familiar so that may not be the case. You may be simply used to a lower dynamic range of your previous amp. Give it some time to see if this set up is for you. I know it took me some getting used to going from my old Technics integrated to my Emotiva power amps, as the new amps are more in your face and provide better detail and acoustics. If after some listening maybe see about picking up another older gen amp. Good luck!

a friend gave me a Carver CT23 (pre) and a B&K ST-140 (blue and red logo) and now I'm having a really hard time adjusting.
the high end is often too hard and harsh/ too forward.

I am very surprised at this.  The B&K ST-140 is known to be about as "tube like" as SS can get.  Not a real potent amp especially in bass drive but never heard it referred to as harsh or forward.

Bill