Klipsch Atmos system testing at JL's house

Jay L

I hope to make this thread informative, and maybe turn it into a Q&A for all things Atmos related. 

I have a 5.2.2 system that I am testing at home. I have been using this system for a few months now. It is without a doubt the best HT experience I have had to date. The immersive experience offered by Klipsch Atmos products is simply stunning! As you will see in the pics, IT WORKS WITH VAULTED CEILINGS!! The system consists of an RP-450CA, RP-280FA, RP-140SA, and 2 R-115SW. As soon as I can get a more capable receiver, I will expand the system.

post-14358-0-62260000-1437094541_thumb.j

post-14358-0-12380000-1437094648_thumb.j

post-14358-0-70300000-1437094676_thumb.j

Edited by Jay L
  • Like 2

As you will see in the pics, IT WORKS WITH VAULTED CEILINGS!!

I've read that flat ceilings are best. I'm liking what I've read about Atmos but i don't think the up-firing speakers would work with my ceiling. I suppose that in/on ceiling speakers would function as intended?

Thoughts?

055_zpslvqviypb.jpg

Edited by Tasdom
  • Like 1

While not ideal, it should still work. If those beams were over a couple foot thick, then maybe not very good at all. Think of how pressure from a water hose distributes over flat concrete. It hits in a very narrow beam, then shatters across a wide plane. That may be a bit extreme, but you get the idea. A few bumps don't stop the flow entirely.

• Like 2

The center is not that small, especially compared to other manufacturers offerings. It may appear small because it is atop a 73" TV? There is no plans to make a larger one in the Premiere line at this time. I would never say never. :)

• Like 2

The center is not that small, especially compared to other manufacturers offerings. It may appear small because it is atop a 73" TV? There is no plans to make a larger one in the Premiere line at this time. I would never say never. :)

jay buddy, its time to make a signature to let us know the gear you got. wondering what receiver you have?

• Like 1

• Moderators
The center is not that small, especially compared to other manufacturers offerings.

Yes, that is true.  I guess doesn't help the fact that I went from an RC-7 to an RC-64 to an RC-64ii to a LaScala as a center.  Just thought Klipsch would have made a replacement for the RC-64ii.

There is no plans to make a larger one in the Premiere line at this time.

Maybe Klipsch has plans to make one when they come out with a replacement for the RF-7ii.

• Like 1

I thought the RP-140SA was a height channel speaker to be used on top of existing floorstanding speakers.  You are using them as surrounds? :huh:

The RP-140SA is dual purpose. It can be used as an upward firing add-on module with Atmos.

And it can also be used as a traditional surround speaker (it has a key-hole mount) underneath for wall mount.

x64ZxG.jpg

From Jay earlier.....

Yes, they certainly will work great when used on side walls as surrounds such as in a Dolby Atmos soundtrack.  :)

• Like 2

Great, thanks! (So that means that slanted KPT cinema-series speakers could be used as atmos speakers for cinema and heritage HTs...)

thats my plan. No one from Klipsch is gonna convince me that a 4" woofer can keep up with heritage or cinema. Lol.
  • Like 1

Part of what makes it work is not getting too much direct axis information. If you hear info from the speakers position, it destroys the effect. Not just any speaker can be canted back and fired toward the ceiling.

• Like 2