JC's 30" deep dual woofer Corner Snail

jwc

Made this awhile back. Made more than one version. Here is the 30" deep version.

You can put dual 12 or dual 15 in there if you want. 1/8th space horn. Flare 35Hz. Goes out to 400Hz.

Here for eyecandy. However, as time passes will give the measurements. Not an easy build.

I have moved twice since I made these. I no longer have any here. Files are on different computers so I'm slowly putting it all together.

jc

post-14392-0-86180000-1437097609_thumb.j

post-14392-0-27260000-1437097636_thumb.j

post-14392-0-29540000-1437097651_thumb.j

post-14392-0-62020000-1437097682_thumb.j

post-14392-0-37340000-1437097768_thumb.j

• Like 3

I have the measurements and build steps in front of me.  However, I want to look over them to make sure it all adds up.  I haven't looked at these plans in years.

I will be on vacation over the weekend and some next week.

I have the measurements and build steps in front of me.  However, I want to look over them to make sure it all adds up.  I haven't looked at these plans in years.

I will be on vacation over the weekend and some next week.

Man you have to quit this, you already made me build my jamborees. Your going to make my wife kill me!! LOL Great design looking forward to the measurements .

• Like 1

This looks like an awfully difficult horn to build. 

For those that have built horn enclosures in the past, how to hold peices together as they are glued? I would imagine it is impossible clamp them given the angles.

Do people typically use biscuits? brad nails?  

I'm not sure how many people actually got to hear these things.  I was one who did though.  They were beasts.  I can still remember feeling the "Gs" on my face when JC played his bass heavy funk.  Incredibly clear and powerful.  Anyone would love the performance of these.  The only "defect" I detected.......and this is very minor and me being very picky.........is that they were pretty directional.  It took all of about 2-3 tweaks with the aim, and you were done.  Very well designed.  Excellent sound.

I can say the only other bass cabinet that actually gave me that same face hurt was the Jub at the Klipsch lab.

JC's have dual 15s" though.  I think I heard a dual 12" version and then the bigger dual 15" if I remember right.

I'm not sure how many people actually got to hear these things.  I was one who did though.  They were beasts.  I can still remember feeling the "Gs" on my face when JC played his bass heavy funk.  Incredibly clear and powerful.  Anyone would love the performance of these.  The only "defect" I detected.......and thitheys is very minor and me being very picky.........is that they were pretty directional.  It took all of about 2-3 tweaks with the aim, and you were done.  Very well designed.  Excellent sound.

I can say the only other bass cabinet that actually gave me that same face hurt was the Jub at the Klipsch lab.

JC's have dual 15s" though.  I think I heard a dual 12" version and then the bigger dual 15" if I remember right.

I know where they rest.  Dual K31's on board.  Trax tweet horns in place.  Mids to follow. Bet that they are up and running before years end. 

tc

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how many people actually got to hear these things.  I was one who did though.  They were beasts.  I can still remember feeling the "Gs" on my face when JC played his bass heavy funk.  Incredibly clear and powerful.  Anyone would love the performance of these.  The only "defect" I detected.......and this is very minor and me being very picky.........is that they were pretty directional.  It took all of about 2-3 tweaks with the aim, and you were done.  Very well designed.  Excellent sound.

What I discovered is that the "throw" for lack of better words on this horn will fool you.  When I was first playing them, in a corner, I had the "exit/physical mouth" against the side wall.  With this setup up in a fairly narrow front wall, the bass would pound you if you stood up close to the electronics.  I may need to draw a picture to illustrate. 

However, if you put the horn in the corner with the  "exit" of the horn up against the front wall and not the side wall, the bass lands all over the "listening position".  I tested this in 3 different rooms and was pretty much the same results.  I had some images drawn up and scanned in....I'm still looking for those.

Heck we have move so many times.....my files are a mess.

So why would somebody want to build these complicated beasts?  I bet nobody will.  But if you did, you would find that the response curve is not as "peaky" and the drop off below 80Hz is not as steep compared to other corner horns.  By no means do I want to make this horn out to be a "revolutionary" design.

Here is the horn side of the baffle.  I drew in lines where the ramps will be and the blue line is the direction of the horn.

I will post all the internal measurements later so you could place the 5 x 10 cutouts in the right spot on the baffle.

The second image is the same thing just turned over......to help some visualize better.

post-14392-0-41700000-1438435840_thumb.j

post-14392-0-45940000-1438436262_thumb.j

Edited by jwc