I think I have a problem..

K5SS

Well, it was a known problem. I contacted a guy on CL with a SVS PC 16-46 Plus for sale, he wanted $200 for it. I asked him what the lowest he would take for it and he told me $50. He said the amp was blown but when I got there, I instantly noticed the woofer was stuck in max extension. I felt bad as he had already hauled this beast outside so I took it anyway. I will be testing the amp tomorrow, fingers crossed..

I bought it to replace the amp and give it to my brother and his family. I sent him a picture of the sub, he showed it to his wife and she flipped out. Haha.

Anybody local want a nice 12" enclosure for cheap? $50 takes it, haha!

• Like 2

I am in Seattle.

The woofer makes terrible noises when it is getting pressed in and then it springs back with terrible noises. I am afraid it is just a large, heavy paperweight at this point.

I will try testing the amp tonight or tomorrow.

My guess is the Voice coil is hungup on the upper plate.

in this diagram, overdriven by excessive wattage it pushed/flexed further than design, went a little cockeyed and is hung up on the upper plate.

Id hold the speaker, pull up evenly even more toward the Max outside, move around a little and it should drop back in the proper place, take an ohm reading before firing up.

(Iv seen this more than once) 

post-57941-0-39340000-1437140792_thumb.j

• Like 1

My guess is the Voice coil is hungup on the upper plate.

He said it made terrible noises when pushing it up and down.  The voice coil is fried.

The voice coil could be deformed by now and rubbong, rubbing is the terrible noise.

Iv fixed alot of kids drivers in my neighborhood and seen it all.

But hey, the coil sounds like it's good, not that it worth anything now.

I had a non Plus version back in the day and it could hit the low notes with authority. I think I am just going to post this on CL for $80 and would sell it to any forum member for $50. 

The enclosure is in very good shape so I am sure a handier person than me could have a killer sub for very low $$$

And no I have not ohmed it.