New Palladiums P-37f and what Center/Surrounds to choose?

THH

Hi,

I'm new to the Klipsch world having just purchased a pair of Palladium P-37f.

I like them a lot coming from Tannoy D700s that I've owned for 18 years now.

I use them in our living room/Home Theater behind an acoustically transparent screen.

My amp is the Pioneer LX83 - I'm bi-amping the P-37f.

With the Tannoys I had 3x D700 behind the screen.

Despite of me being a professional cellist,

we mainly use the equipment for movies and tv shows.

(But of course classical music should sound right,

and it does with the Palladiums. Also with some AC/DC or Sting or...)

For now I have a used RC-64 II as Center, which is very good.

It`s the first dedicated Center speaker I have and compared to the D700 as center,

movie dialogue sounds much clearer now.

But of course it would be nice to have a matching center again some time in the future....

So - here's my first question to you guys - Center:

Should I search for a third P-37f or go for the Palladium center P-27c?

Would there be an advantage for movie dialogue using the P-27c over the P-37f?

(I could get the same price for each of them. Just putting a third P-37f in the middle would be easier,

cause I needed a big stand to put the P-27c at the same height as the P-37 tweeters.)

Second question - Surrounds:

What surrounds should I choose?

I find the Palladium Dipoles a little expensive for my purpose especially if going for 7.0 in the future.

Right now I've a 5.0 system with some Teufel M 1000 (full spectrum dipoles from a German company) to the right and left of the seating position.

Atmos will definitly be nice to have in the future with 4 speakers at the cealing.

I could get a pair of 1/2 year old RS-62 II for the same price as a pair of RP-250s that are new but without warranty (private seller).

Which should I choose? Or go for something else intirely?

Thinking of a future Atmos upgrade, do I need different side and back surrounds then to match Atmos specs?

Anyway - you see, I'm still at the beginning of my Klipsch journey.

Until now (2 days) it sounds very exciting, very clear and it's great fun.
I think, now I need some expert input from you guys,

which I'm sure I can get here (having read a lot of posts here during the last week).

So I'd be greatful for any input you could give me.

I wish you a great sounding weekend!

Tim

Edited by THH

Tim,

Welcome to the forum.

Well many here on the forum, including myself, will tell you to get a third P-37F if you have an acoustic transparent screen.  With that said, the matching center channel P-27C gets very high acclaim with many here on the forum who own it or have owned it.  With that said, P-37F---P37F---P37F(L---C---R) would be the most seamless front soundstage.

As far as surrounds, the matching Palladiums would be best but not as important as matching your front soundstage.

And again, welcome to the Klipsch family and I am sure some here on the forum will also welcome you to the Palladium family.

Bill

Man you should have bought my set!!! I have a full 5.0 palladium set I've been trying to sell. Oh well lol. Anyways welcome. No questions about it get a tower for center. The center is sweet but it's a compromise over a tower for sure. Matching lcr speakers is the bees knees.

And as far as surrounds the dipoles are awesome. What me and my love about them is they are tall and slender. Don't stick out into the room like rs-62ii's do. Which is nice if you have a narrow room or were gonna put them in columns. Shame to hide such beauty though. I wouldn't be me though if I didn't say you can get some

Really great speakers since you have a false wall without paying for the fancy cabinets and what not on the palladium series. I and others have ventured into the cinema line as well as the bigger heritage models. La scala trio is awesome I'm sure. My front three consist of kpt-904's and they are fantastic. A different sound than the palladiums. But I enjoy being able to own both

Do you have a sub?  I certainly recommend a Palladium sub if you don't, and have the room.

Several years ago, I got to hear quite a bit of classical music on a P-38 setup including a Palladium center, a pair of P. surrounds, and one or two of the subs.  The sub in particular provided a remarkably clear, strong, smooth, and seamless foundation for the string basses under the cellos that just wasn't there in the same way without it.  Given your musical interests, I should think you really might give consideration to a Palladium sub.

Edited by LarryC

It's interesting to look back on the 2008 pilgrimage "classes" on classical music.  That was the high-water mark in classical at pilgrimages, which we could never replicate in interest or popularity:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/93190-friday-evening-class-sign-up/?hl=%2Bclassical+%2Bmusic+%2Bat+%2Bpilgrimage#entry1015619

[Edit:]  The sub(s) markedly beefed up the string basses in the Dvorak, making that selection very strong and realistic.

Larry

Edited by LarryC

Man you should have bought my set!!!

Something tells me he is Europe due the the model avr.  I think those Pioneers were the European version of the SC line.

I am not sure if I would recommend the Palladium sub over some other subs from a performance standpoint.  It certainly would keep everything looking the same.

First of all, I can see it's high time to post some photos of my setup - tomorrow...

And...no worries - during the day the screen is pulled up to hang under the ceiling.

The Palladiums have the stage all for them selves.... :D

And they shine....

Anyways - thanks to all for some great advice.

The center question is cleared up now: a third P-37f it will be.

For the surrounds: The Palladium surround are bit out of my budget now,

what with 4k projectors/BluRays around the corner...

What would be better in my setting: a pair of RP-250s (new) or a pair of RS-62 II (half year old)?

I can get them for the same price - like 500€.

A sub would also be a project for the future - the Palladium sub seems quite expensive compared to some other great subs by Klipsch or others.

Any suggestions?

By the way - I am from Germany. So my Pioneer LX83 was their top model from 2010 - I must be your SC-37.

So any advice for the surround situation?

I could buy them tomorrow....

Tim

Edited by THH

I would recommend the Klipsch 15 in. sub if It had to be Klipsch.  For that setup, I would save and try to get two 18's for the HT.  Speakers are a nice upgrade but, a pair of 18's will make the most impact.  There are some nice DIY kits that can be put together in an hour or two for a 1/3 of the cost of commercial and ID subs with twice the performance.  I am not a handyman or have a lot of tools and did a couple of kit a few months ago.  Most of the assembly  is just gluing the picese together.

Edited by derrickdj1

• Moderators
What would be better in my setting: a pair of RP-250s (new) or a pair of RS-62 II (half year old)?

Although I have not heard the Premiere Series yet, if I had the choice, I would choose the RS-62ii over the RP-250s.  The RS-62ii will have absolutely no problem keeping up with the Palladiums.  Also, there is no sonic difference between the original RS-62 and the newer RS-62ii.  Only difference is the shape of the speaker grill (angled vs semi-circle) and the color of the woofer.  I heard absolutely zero difference when I switched from the RS-62 to the RS-62ii.