OxyContin and other addictions...

tube fanatic

• Moderators

I have represented many, many people who have become addicted to prescription opioids, such as OxyContin, and found themselves in trouble with the law.

Here is a layperson asking in his blog whether that program from the CBC was fair and balanced.

http://rockinontheblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/was-fifth-estate-oxycontin-attack-on.html?m=1

There is revolutionary new medication to treat opiate addiction and I am happy to say that there is hope for those who have run into a problem. The difficulty lies with those who have real chronic severe pain, pain meds seem to be the only relief available.

I recall Dean discussing going through chronic, sever back pain.

Thise with the medical backgrounds, Roger, Larry, Oscarear, Kevin, etc. Are in a much better position to discuss the medical issues surrounding opioids, there adminitration, potential for abuse, safeguards available to try and prevent addiction, etc.

I pray my brothers and sister here never suffer an episode requiring the prolonged use of opioid medications.

• Like 2

Guest thesloth

I have had several ailments where I had to endure around the clock morphine treatment. I also have a bulged disk in my spine which I still recieve pain medication for (percocets). If it wasn't for medication some days I feel like the pain would drive me crazy. I take days off when using the medication just because I like to excersise control, and don't want a physical addiction.

I have done opiates around the clock for long periods of time and not once had any withdrawal symptoms, mentally or physically. I will tell you mentally is harder, I do feel like it is such a miracle drug for making quality of life better I don't want the people abusing them getting high on them to ruin it for the rest of us who need it. I worry if people find out I am taking pain medication the news and media has made it look like I am a drug addict, I don't like it. But I don't care what people think as long as I am comfortable.

People are the problem not drugs, people can make anything an addiction. I feel like sugar and fast foods are more of a health concern in America then pain medication. Why are cigarettes and alcohol legal? They have been killing people and ruining lives forever. The media likes to pick a hot topic and run with it. I know way too many people addicted to alcohol and tobacco and I guess that's fine in todays society. If I take a percocet I get funny looks and told to "watch out" they are dangerous.

Bottom line is for MOST people opiates work soo good they can become addictive, BUT when controlled correctly and when patients are educated about the drugs they are taking they can be used correctly.

• Like 2

I admit i drink a beer dam near everyday, a little Nip too, sometimes more than one, so far, that aint a bad 30+ year run.

I feel for those that do the pain Meds, they start taking them for a real reason, then the reason for taking them is gone but not the Meds.

Know at least one guy who pops some kind of pain pill everyday then goes to the Pub.

I think as i remember he had some back pain 5 years ago. 

----------------------------

Perhaps i should have explained "This Guy" a little better.

He does not have back problems (from his wife) never did.

One day some years back he took one of his pain pills perscribed by her denist.

He drank a Bud, he found he no longer needed to drink 6 Buds to get a Buzz, two Buds and a pill = Cheap High.

Edited by minermark

I have had several ailments where I had to endure around the clock morphine treatment. I also have a bulged disk in my spine which I still recieve pain medication for (percocets). If it wasn't for medication some days I feel like the pain would drive me crazy. I take days off when using the medication just because I like to excersise control, and don't want a physical addiction.

I have done opiates around the clock for long periods of time and not once had any withdrawal symptoms, mentally or physically. I will tell you mentally is harder, I do feel like it is such a miracle drug for making quality of life better I don't want the people abusing them getting high on them to ruin it for the rest of us who need it. I worry if people find out I am taking pain medication the news and media has made it look like I am a drug addict, I don't like it. But I don't care what people think as long as I am comfortable.

People are the problem not drugs, people can make anything an addiction. I feel like sugar and fast foods are more of a health concern in America then pain medication. Why are cigarettes and alcohol legal? They have been killing people and ruining lives forever. The media likes to pick a hot topic and run with it. I know way too many people addicted to alcohol and tobacco and I guess that's fine in todays society. If I take a percocet I get funny looks and told to "watch out" they are dangerous.

Bottom line is for MOST people opiates work soo good they can become addictive, BUT when controlled correctly and when patients are educated about the drugs they are taking they can be used correctly.

been on the same things for 2 years now (almost) and I am not happy with the forced contracts etc...  through pain management, they treat everyone like an addict / pusher now

No longer  do the family doctors want to take care of there patients when it comes to prescribing pain meds.  I have been told directly the new regulations are crazy and the Dr feels they MUST Refer there patients to pain management

I admit i drink a beer dam near everyday, a little Nip too, sometimes more than one, so far, that aint a bad 30+ year run.

I feel for those that do the pain Meds, they start taking them for a real reason, then the reason for taking them is gone but not the Meds.

Know at least one guy who pops some kind of pain pill everyday then goes to the Pub.

of all the people I know with chronic back pain, I do not know a single one where the pain just stopped !!!!!!!!  That said the meds are like alcohol or cigarettes all are subject to abuse by anyone that chooses to go that route.

• Like 1

Guest thesloth

Minermark, the key is moderation. I don't think there is anything wrong with a couple glasses of wine/beer a day before or after dinner to relax and unwind. Unfortunately I limit my alcohol intake under doctors advice after having pancreatitis. I have two beers a week during band practice.

Joesportster, The pain management route is crazy and I don't do it. They actually test you to make sure you take the medication because if you don't they think you are selling it. Be careful and try not to build a tolerance, if you do ween yourself off. Other then that they can be a miracle for pain relief. My sciatic is screaming down my leg as I type this message, I should probably go move around.

Edited by thesloth
  • Like 1

Guest thesloth

of all the people I know with chronic back pain, I do not know a single one where the pain just stopped !!!!!!!!  That said the meds are like alcohol or cigarettes all are subject to abuse by anyone that chooses to go that route.

I strongly believe people that don't suffer from a spinal injury or a spinal abnormalies can understand what it's like. Beer or any other drug does nothing. I have a very high tolerance for pain, I didn't even know my lung was 30% collapsed one time.

Back pain is the worst especially for extended periods of time. Constant sharp pains while trying to sleep suck, you finally fall asleep and subconsciously roll over and the screaming sharp pain wakes you up agian, it's not fun.

I was against surgery but now I am thinking of listening to what they have to say. I know a lady whom has had three surgeries in an attempt to fix her disk and no luck. Then my buddy told me it was the best decision he has ever made and his back feels so much better after surgery.

• Like 1

I was against surgery but now I am thinking of listening to what they have to say.

FWIW, a friend of mine tells me he used to have bad lower back pain for years and was tremendously helped by an injection called a nerve block.  It was a one-time visit for a few minutes, and presto!  That's his success story, and so, I hope it might be somebody else's story, too.

Government is driving a war on opiate. They drive all the media to hype the ridicules story that everyone is addicted.

Truth...People who are in chronic pain do well on opiates. But people who no nothing about chronic disease invent these crusades against opiates. Opiates work. They allow people in chronic pain to function, to work, to live normally.

Government is deciding a huge stigmas for all opiate users trying to drive people off opiates into psychotropic drugs like Cymbalta, and Gabapentin, which cause such effects as suicide!!!! Lol.. Doctors must now put all opiate patients on Narcotic Contracts!!! Includes urging testing and dozens of restrictions. This for actual pain suffers who are now criminalized by they re doctor!!! That's by government rules, not doctor rules. Government is taking over all decisions out of doctor hand. Government says if you have pain you are a addict and must be branded as addict!!!! Doctors hate this intrusion. But must follow or lose license. Yes, there are drug addicts using opiate, but those are criminals not sick people on pain! Government don't care, all opiate users are addicts!!!! This is only the beginning... Doctors will be at complete mercy of government very soon. Withholding medicare payments is the big tool.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Government is driving a war on opiate. They drive all the media to hype the ridicules story that everyone is addicted.

Truth...People who are in chronic pain do well on opiates. But people who no nothing about chronic disease invent these crusades against opiates. Opiates work. They allow people in chronic pain to function, to work, to live normally.

Government is deciding a huge stigmas for all opiate users trying to drive people off opiates into psychotropic drugs like Cymbalta, and Gabapentin, which cause such effects as suicide!!!! Lol.. Doctors must now put all opiate patients on Narcotic Contracts!!! Includes urging testing and dozens of restrictions. This for actual pain suffers who are now criminalized by they re doctor!!! That's by government rules, not doctor rules. Government is taking over all decisions out of doctor hand. Government says if you have pain you are a addict and must be branded as addict!!!! Doctors hate this intrusion. But must follow or lose license. Yes, there are drug addicts using opiate, but those are criminals not sick people on pain! Government don't care, all opiate users are addicts!!!! This is only the beginning... Doctors will be at complete mercy of government very soon. Withholding medicare payments is the big tool.

Hmmmm. Well that certainly one point of view, a government conspiracy. It makes perfect sense, especially in light of who the largest opium producing country is. They have tried to synthesize it to little practical result.

The other view on this is every opiate based pill is available on the street and has a specific street value. People in fact "divert" and law enforcement tends to get upset when they bust people with 100s of pharmaceutical opioids in every brand and dosage.

The other issue is that with the unethical doctor of the 90s they could hook any one they wanted on opiates, or be know as an easy source for writing scripts for opiates.

The same exact thing happened with "diet" pills in the 60s, they had housewives addicted to methamphetamine, like Obetrol. It became a schedule II drug and dispensing of highly addictive drugs for weight loss was quickly curtailed.

Sure physicians hate it, but they understand that in every profession there are some bad people that have caused the whole profession to be regulated. They would rather have it regulated because in the old days they knew they would lose a patient because they would go down the street and be able to find a doctor willing to write the prescription.

Cocaine is available by prescription, as is methamphetamine, morphine, along with a whole host of other things that have been classified as having a significant risk of addiction and abuse.

While one view can certainly be that it is regulation run amuck, there is also a widely held view that it became necessary to protect the public from their unscrupulous physicians and drug companies.

• Like 1

Opiates are scheduled medicines and highly addictative.  Who will become addicted is like alcohol, most won't, some will.  Not to be taken lightly, once addicted, the person is in a terribel cycle of feeling sick without the drug and sick when taking it.  There is no easy answer to what the government is trying to do with regulations.  The regulations have the medical people so tied to giving out opiates that a lot of people who need them have to go thru hell to get them.  We have many more alcoholics than all the other drugs combined. :blink:

The government has never been good at controling addictive substances and more regulation will not stop abuse.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

We have many more alcoholics than all the other drugs combined.

Probably because alcohol is legal and so easy to get, compared to the other drugs.

I just saw a commercial for the first time which puts an acronym, OIC, to a condition they call "Opioid Induced Constipation," with some sort of pill to relieve it.  When they are making pills to make taking opiates more pleasurable, you just have to know opiate addiction must be in the millions.   It takes a big market to run commercials like that.

Sounds like most would have people suffer chronic pain regardless of how chronic pain can destroy people, just to keep them off "drugs". What BS. I have no words for people that enjoy having people suffer from medical conditions just to preserve your precious War on Drugs. Those that believe that would support any type of tyranny to harm people to justify their moral beliefs. 

I have an incurable disease and take opiates, daily. Those that would rather me suffer and die just to continue the government's war on drugs can kiss my ***. Your taxpayer money would be supporting me instead of me supporting myself if I had no pain relief in order to keep working. I am lucky in that I can't take much opiates without huge waves of nausea, so all I can take is just enough to dull the pain somewhat. I have a hard time understanding the cruelty of those that would deny pain relief to those that are suffering. How inhuman that is. 

I take injections ever week that affect me a whole lot worse than opiates do. I end up with wasted days due to pain. I can't take enough opiates to kill the pain since I would be zonked out and still couldn't function well. Cannabis would help immensely, but it is illegal in Arkansas. 

I really, really get upset with all the self-righteous people that think they should be running other peoples lives for them. Talk about Bullshit!

This post may get me banned, but try to have a little compassion for those that NEED pain relief. I watched my mother die a very slow death and thinking that she must be exaggerating her pain levels since her illness wasn't externally visible for a couple of decades. With an inherited disease, I now know she wasn't and I was not compassionate enough to help her through those times. 

This is not aimed at anyone in particular, but at society at large. I can get off my soapbox now. 

• Like 3

Conspiracy??? Lol!! Adding conspiracy word to make actions seem absurd and outlandish is old news. The opiate regulations are form the government.... Not a conspracy, just a drive to elimenate opiate and replace with psychotropics and alchohol. Not because of medical value, but because of criminals. People with chronic pain and chronic disease are not criminals, but now they LOOK like crimnals. People who don't have chronic illness are always clueless about this. Legit doctors had no problem managing legit patients on opiates... Don't believe every word of government propaganda.

Alcohol is the drug of choice for government... Why? Why would the worst of all drugs be the chosen winner??? Lol. Aggression!!! Aggression is good!!!! Lol. .just compare to other drugs?!! Oh, and also psychotropics!!! No restrictions there!!!! Lol...

• Like 1

I think you missed the point of some people.

The idea behind regulation is to prevent addiction.  Some people go in to the doctor's office, for example, with a cracked rib that will heal fine in 4 weeks.  The doctor prescribes Vicodin.  The patient, having never taken the stuff before, becomes an addict for the rest of his/her life.  (The rib healed completely 30 years ago.)  Get the idea?  This happens over and over.  Some people are genetically not well-suited for prescription painkillers.  That's just the way they are wired.  It's not a whole lot different than alcohol.  Some people can take it or leave it.  Others can't, and they become hooked easily.

• Like 2

I don't think anyone would argue that opiates were over-prescribed for a long period of time. That was the product of big pharma. Oxycontin has the worst history for money over care of any opiate. http://www.thefix.com/content/oxycontin-cartel-billionaire-family-16th-richest-us-according-forbes 

We need to look at the real causes of addiction, also. It is not what most think. Look at the research done on vets returning from Vietnam that were "addicted" to heroin. Only 15% continued to use the drug upon returning to the States. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/johann-hari/the-real-cause-of-addicti_b_6506936.html