OxyContin and other addictions...

tube fanatic

• Moderators

Do you apply the same reasoning to guns? Should we be making it a lot harder to get guns? Make buyers sign special contracts? Submit to special testing?

That is a topic that will get this thread locked quicker than two shakes of a lambs tail.

I'm against the the upscheduling. But I think it is important for people to know the facts behind how things change in government, whether it is at an agency or a legislative body.

HCPs was a great topic, it is a public health ISSUE. Which by definition means it has, at least, two sides. I think it is important for people to understand how the process really works, whether it is getting a drug upscheduled, or anything else.

It is good to be skeptical about anything that happens in government. Some things are changed in smoke filled back rooms with elected officials and lobbyists. This wasn't one of those.

There were people lined up on two sides of that issue, representing their own interests, including patient advocacy groups. It is important that people understand the process, and that they have a say. It apparently started with one physician submitting a petition back in 1999. Regardless of what side of the issue we are in, it is important to know the facts behind how it happened and what the arguments were on both sides. It is only in that way that one can have any chance at changing the outcome the next go around.

Medical Marijuana is another good public health, drug policy issue that is coming from the exact opposite angle. Getting a drug down scheduled, or eliminated, from scheduling, state by state.

Travis

• Like 2

I suspect this thread touches many lives here. My brother is currently in detox/treatment for alcohol and xanax. I thought I was going to lose him for sure, just like we lost my dad to alcohol and suicide. He hit rock bottom three weeks ago, waking up in a hospital in restraints, not remembering anything how he got there. The police report said he was found wandering outside wearing nothing but a t-shirt. I just got off the phone with him, three weeks into treatment and he sounds great. His blood pressure is back under control. He mentioned that most of the other patients there are fighting narcotic and benzo addictions. 

• Moderators

I suspect this thread touches many lives here. My brother is currently in detox/treatment for alcohol and xanax. I thought I was going to lose him for sure, just like we lost my dad to alcohol and suicide. He hit rock bottom three weeks ago, waking up in a hospital in restraints, not remembering anything how he got there. The police report said he was found wandering outside wearing nothing but a t-shirt. I just got off the phone with him, three weeks into treatment and he sounds great. His blood pressure is back under control. He mentioned that most of the other patients there are fighting narcotic and benzo addictions.

He will be in my thoughts

• Like 1

You and Your Brother have my best wishes.  He may well need help and support with his addiction.  Just letting him know that you are on his side in his recovery may help.

I don't know how many times I've wished we were allowed to video patients, just so they could see the condition they were in when they were brought to the hospital.  So many have no memory of the shape they were in.

Edited by Taz
  • Like 4

I don't know how many times I've wished we were allowed to video patients, just so they could see the condition they were in when they were brought to the hospital.  So many have no memory of the shape they were in.

When I worked in emergency at Downtown Toronto hospital the nurses got me to take polaroids (yes showing the age there) of teenagers after giving them activated charcoal and syrup of ipecac. They looked pathetic. We gave the pictures to the parents when they came and picked up their little angels.

Typing this from treatment center I am in charge of this weekend. 34 beds and it's a revolving door here. Reading the comments here and it really seems the US drug policy is archaic.  All the best to your brother twelveblocks!!

• Moderators

I don't know how many times I've wished we were allowed to video patients, just so they could see the condition they were in when they were brought to the hospital. So many have no memory of the shape they were in.

When I worked in emergency at Downtown Toronto hospital the nurses got me to take polaroids (yes showing the age there) of teenagers after giving them activated charcoal and syrup of ipecac. They looked pathetic. We gave the pictures to the parents when they came and picked up their little angels.

Typing this from treatment center I am in charge of this weekend. 34 beds and it's a revolving door here. Reading the comments here and it really seems the US drug policy is archaic. All the best to your brother twelveblocks!!

I heard in Canada you can get Tylenol 1s and 222's over the counter at any pharmacy. Is that true or an urban myth?

I don't know how many times I've wished we were allowed to video patients, just so they could see the condition they were in when they were brought to the hospital. So many have no memory of the shape they were in.

Typing this from treatment center I am in charge of this weekend. 34 beds and it's a revolving door here. Reading the comments here and it really seems the US drug policy is archaic. All the best to your brother twelveblocks!!

I heard in Canada you can get Tylenol 1s and 222's over the counter at any pharmacy. Is that true or an urban myth?

T1's Yes with maximum 8mg over the counter, but need to get from pharmacist without prescription.

• Moderators

Here in an article from Time (which I thought was quite good) about medical marijuana.

Here’s What Science Says About Medical Marijuana

http://time.com/3931863/medical-marijuana-benefits/

It discusses that the the condition that has the strongest link to the effectiveness of medical marijuana is chronic pain. For other conditions the verdict is still out.

• Like 2

Here in an article from Time (which I thought was quite good) about medical marijuana.

It discusses that the the condition that has the strongest link to the effectiveness of medical marijuana is chronic pain. For other conditions the verdict is still out.

Thanks for the article Travis.  I’ve been considering it actually. I’ve been in chronic pain for several years. Four herniated disks, arthritis, and my shoulders are jacked up from getting run over by a truck. pain killers after my accident caused my stomach to bleed, so i basically just suffer. Some days though are murder. Of course one doctor wants to operate, the other to prescribe barbiturates -- i’ve accepted neither. I did ask my elderly doctor about medical marijuana--she doesn’t prescribe it; however, has no objection to it and says she has several patients that claim it is very beneficial to them. With my Asthma i couldn’t smoke it; so probably would use a vaporizer. Honestly, i haven’t went down that road yet because I smoked pot all through the 70s and LOVED it and am worried that I’d start using it recreationally.  So I’ve resisted thus far.

Talking with my Aunt today.  She said it does wonders for my cousin.  He suffers PTSD with associated symptoms due to being set afire in 1st grade.  Him and his cousin were flipping paper matches when his clothes caught fire.  Baby sitter seen him run past the window on fire.

Know others that use it to combat effects of chemo, as well as pain.  I wouldn't even try to tell them it does not work.

• 4 years later...

Although I understand the addictive personality, the need for pain Rx's can lead to abuse. The answer is not to reduce the dosage for patients with documented chronic, acute need. The answer is something folks don't want to hear now-a-days. Personal Responsibility.

9 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Although I understand the addictive personality, the need for pain Rx's can lead to abuse. The answer is not to reduce the dosage for patients with documented chronic, acute need. The answer is something folks don't want to hear now-a-days. Personal Responsibility.

That and responsible prescribing in the first place. 

Some people will abuse any narcotic given for pain by continuing to take them after the pain issue is resolved. No soup for them the second time around, if abused the first time.

Wb

• Like 1