OxyContin and other addictions...

tube fanatic

Considering the sheer amount of stuff that's on the street, why are they looking at doctors and patients

Because a lot of street pills are generated by this connection.

Maybe some, but from what I'm reading, they make it sound like the stuff is everywhere. For that to happen, almost everyone would have to be selling their prescriptions. I also learned that the new laws and changes in scheduling has barely put a dent in it -- so where's all of this crap coming from?

Maybe some, but from what I'm reading, they make it sound like the stuff is everywhere

Down here there have been several "pill mills" closed in the last year.  The amount of prescription drugs that they generated that ended up on the street was staggering. 

Edited by CECAA850

Considering the sheer amount of stuff that's on the street, why are they looking at doctors and patients

Because a lot of street pills are generated by this connection.

Maybe some, but from what I'm reading, they make it sound like the stuff is everywhere. For that to happen, almost everyone would have to be selling their prescriptions. I also learned that the new laws and changes in scheduling has barely put a dent in it -- so where's all of this crap coming from?

Dean,

A lot of patients that are on it that don't need it are selling it on the street! How much is your Co-Pay for a bottle after insurance, then how many mg of oxycontin in a script and figuring $1 per milligram street value, how much profit did you make?

A lot of patients that need the medication, but don't have enough income sell part of their script.

A lot of oxycontin hits the street when a terminal patient, especially cancer patients die, either from relatives stealing it or two hospice nurses that are supposed to collect the medicine, in partnership, lying about how much medication was left and selling the difference! This is done WAY more often than you might believe.

Also, people steel peoples scripts, and this also is quite often a family member!

Roger

What's a "pill mill" - suppose I could look it up.

The urine testing and random pill counts was supposed to stop the practice of people selling their scripts.

My son says the $1 a mg. is off. He says it depends on quality and demand. That's what lower strength Norco sells for, but that Percocet and OxyAnything goes for more. A few months ago we made a quick trip to Meijer, and he read me the riot act for leaving my prescription bottle in plain view in the console. He said I could have lost not just the prescription but my window too. My brain just doesn't work that way, it's hard to imagine people doing stuff like that in the area we live -- which is ridiculously boring and low crime.

Don't nursing homes and hospice have protocols in place to prevent stuff like that from happening?

All these new regulations will not stop drug seekers.  Addicts are the hardest working people in American.  They work (seek) at night, holidays, special occassions, severe weather, you name it.  Most of them have a favorite drug, it is called what you got!

Edited by derrickdj1

What's a "pill mill" - suppose I could look it up.

The urine testing and random pill counts was supposed to stop the practice of people selling their scripts.

My son says the $1 a mg. is off. He says it depends on quality and demand. That's what lower strength Norco sells for, but that Percocet and OxyAnything goes for more. A few months ago we made a quick trip to Meijer, and he read me the riot act for leaving my prescription bottle in plain view in the console. He said I could have lost not just the prescription but my window too. My brain just doesn't work that way, it's hard to imagine people doing stuff like that in the area we live -- which is ridiculously boring and low crime.

Don't nursing homes and hospice have protocols in place to prevent stuff like that from happening?

Dean,

Think supply and demand, you are 2.5 hours away, a different market.

Oxycontin here brings $1 a mg for one pill, that is top of the mark! They can be bought for 25% up to 50% off that price in bulk!

Urine tests are useless! Just as for peeing clean. you can sneak in dirty urine as well in a small vile or bag kept close to the groin to preserve body temperature. They need to DEMAND blood testing!

Nursing homes are not the problem! When a patient is terminal and on hospice care, the dosages are uped the closer you get to end of life, so one patient may have several scripts at once when they die. The hospice nurse is the one who talks with the Doctors and ups the prscriptions. When the patient dies, it takes two nurses to count the narcotics and bag them. They do not keep a running count from the time the prescription is written and the nurse is not always there, so family or anyone could steel pills. The two Hospices only count and bag up what is left to be disposed of. All you need is two nurses working together to foil this system. Recently, I know of a husband and wife her were both Hospice nurses working together that were doing this.

Your car window is the least of your worries! These people will follow you home and watch you to pattern when you get your script. People have been killed over a script.

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

it has to be asked: why do so many regular people (not medical patients) want opiates?

unless that is understood, attempts to stop it are pointless. crooks know how to feed all these people..always have...always will. only the very naive think these new laws will stop the hoardes of desire from gettuing their opiates.

• Like 1

people want intoxicatnig drugs. count how many booze hounds there are!!! endless. So, is a surprise people want opiates???? LOL intoxicatin without agression!!! why people want ecstacy??? LOL think all this thru. there are big ideas under all this.

history hsitory history

Guest thesloth

My paranoid thoughts tell me that if the streets become flooded with pills after this new regulation then the government is selling the pills on the streets. Remember the Contra scandal? Trade arms to countries that manufacture drugs for drugs and then sell the drugs to Americans for huge profits. The government can't make much money from the drugs if the healthcare and drug manufacturing industry are hogging up all the profits. The probably have been selling the heroin too that's why they have been down playing it and saying more people die from pills LOL. Population control and it keeps people occupied while they rake in the cash.

On the nature of people just wanting to use opiates for recreational use I don't see a problem with that. Alcohol has little to no medicinal properties and it's legal for recreational use. Alcohol is a far worse drug then opiates. At least opiates have a very good medicinal property. Didn't we learn from prohibition that making things illegal and harder to get just creates more organized crime. Stupid history always repeating itself.

Edited by thesloth

mankind always used mind drugs like halucinagins, intoxicants, opiates....ALWAYS. it is a human means of coping learning..religion experience and many other things. this is why kids know this desire by intutition. if yuo take away access to mind drugs, people will seek substitute! you can not stop ity!!LOL

now booze is the approved substitute of those in power...because it is a poor intoxicator. it creates aggresssion more often than not along with some intoxication. a very poor drug for man, but very good for the power and rulers to give to little people. the reason is it creates only agression with no peace of mind. what the little people seek like mad is peace of the mind. booze is the wrong drug for that. booze creates mostly stupidness,out of control and vilence. boooze has no religion value. THAT booze tho can be controlled by cops. but peace in the mind? that's troubkle for big bosses!!! now yuo can see what is on schedule II is peace of mind...what is on schedule I is out of mind experiences. Bog boss dfon't want little peeps to have that!!! too dangerous for big boss! but really it is unstopable ....peopel will get it.

People aren't regularly overdosing from alcohol, so it's not the same from that perspective. We have alcohol related deaths, but you don't have to worry about someone's respiratory system shutting down after "abusing" the 12 pack.

• Like 1

I've been afraid to ask, because I don't want to bring out any pain, but I'm really curious - what happened with your wife Joe, from the caregiving end of things.

Cranky I have been siting here for some time considering your question, weather to PM or just reply here. It is the Lounge & we are mostly all among friends, so I will do the best I can to describe the story in hopes it my help some one else.

My Pat was one of the happiest, loving people you would ever hope to meet. Nothing put a bigger smile on her face then pleasing me & her children &  helping anyone in need , giving strangers children food & xmas gifts. She had a true joy for life & was a devoted Christian, still loving me even though I am basically an Agnostic.

Her health issues began to appear some 20 years ago, at that time there was no medical test for or any information by the medical field for Fibro Malegia . She saw many doctors, most told her she was just depressed & needed to see a shrink. As the year's (decade) went by Fibro became identified & recognized as a ligament disease. Doctors began giving her Vicodin, Zanex & mussel relaxers (Soma). Then the govt got involved -& she was sent to the type of pain clinics you describe in your earlier post making her feel like a criminal & addict. This had a very negative effect because she was so overly sensitive. Fibro attacks the joint & nerve system, at times her whole arm & shoulder would turn purple with inflammation, little to no sleep for years. Then the Lupus attacked her weakened body-- continuing the downward spiral although never hospitalized... Bottom line is it just grinds you down! She said repeated over the past few years a dog should not have to live like this! She mentioned suicide occasionally, but always said she couldn't take her own life because of her christian beliefs. So I did not ever really believe she would do it, plus she loved her 2 grown children & me so very much & life itself  -- but obviously it got to the breaking point.

Every day I still ask my self could I have done or said something that would have changed the outcome, & I am sure I will still be asking those questions the rest of my life.

As I said a few month ago, hug & tell your loved ones what your heart says as if today was the last day, and in between Enjoy the Music my friends.

• Like 5

people want intoxicatnig drugs. count how many booze hounds there are!!! endless. So, is a surprise people want opiates???? LOL intoxicatin without agression!!! why people want ecstacy??? LOL think all this thru. there are big ideas under all this.

history hsitory history

I have seen MANY Oxycontin addicts become extremely aggressive, so I don't know where you are coming off with this one?