Difference between La Scala II and Khorns

Right now I do not have the time or the money to build an addition on the house to accommodate the very specific needs of the Khorns, which I have heard and think are the best speakers for the money.

Please tell me what I am giving up if I elect to go with the La Scala II instead of the mighty Khorns.

Note: I require clarity of sound and evenness of range, being an audiophile who listens primarily to Jazz. For the time being, due to my inabiltiy to afford a McIntosh tube amp, I am going with an Onkyo TX-8050.

Thank you,

Dennis

• Like 2

You'd be giving up about an octave of bass, and a little more floor space: La Scalas are cubic in design, while Khorns are trapezoidal and fit more compactly in corners.

Welcome to the forums!

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 2

Note: I require clarity of sound and evenness of range, being an audiophile who listens primarily to Jazz. For the time being, due to my inability to afford a McIntosh tube amp

You really don't need a Mac tube amp to have clarity...but using something like a better quality class D amp (like a B&O ICEPower amplifier) would increase the clarity of presentation over typical class A/AB amplifiers.

One of the easiest ways to increase clarity of presentation is to treat the room with absorption pads/panels near the midrange horns or either the Khorn or the La Scala II (if placed near a corner or wall).  Also, placing some thicker absorption material across the top of the cabinet top hats will also help to control early reflections from the collapsing polar midrange horns found in both designs.

Also note that Khorns don't require corners: PWK used false corners with his Khorns in his home.

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 2

Guest Steven1963

While I have never heard the Lascala II I have owned the original Lascala and Klipschorns. The difference in reproduction is in the low end, as Chris said. I suppose the Lascala II is a little more capable in this regard with a thicker MDF? But nothing in the price range can touch the Klipschorns in the lower end when properly placed, IMO. That horn woofer is just sublime with its accuracy and tightness.

• Like 2

Well the money you save buying the Scalas would help you get the McIntosh amp.....so win win....I have both and the needs of a K-horn can be made pretty easy and you can always enclose the backs of the Ks to eliminate some of the needs .   My wife did not really like me going to K-horns cause she lost all that space for nick knacks on top of the scalas she had for holidays.  lol. Rick

• Like 1

Wow, what a responsive and helpful forum!

OK, purchasing anything but the Khorns appears to be false economy. I can get by with them in a less than ideal-sized room for the time being.

What should I look out for in purchasing Khorns used? Date of manufacture, etc.?

• Like 1

My opinion is, if I were to be buying Khorns (and I have done so in the past), my first priority is the cabinet.  I want it to be in good condition and I want a pretty face on the front.

If I could find a pair of Madacassar (sp) ebony or Rosewood for $4,000 and a nice pair of Walnut for $3,000, I'd jump over the ebony first (presuming all in great condition)

Generally speaking, you'll find Walnut (which is what I had) and they can also be beautiful.  I just have a weakness for the more rare finishes.

You can always swap drivers or crossovers.  Indeed, you will typically hear about the crossover when you first buy a pair.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone really answered your question. If you listen to acoustic jazz, you would like either of the speakers. You didn't mention room size. The Khorns will tuck nicely into the corners if you have them, The LS actually will take up more room, but placement can be more versatile. LaScalas are excellent for jazz and other forms of acoustic music, as well as rock and electronic music, although they may seem to lack a bit on the bottom end. I sold my '98 LS, but am rebuilding another pair. They are very hard to beat.

The LSII probably has the balance in the networks set a little better, but I brought the mids down a bit in mine and it magically made the bass sound more full.

Bruce

• Like 1

I don't think anyone really answered your question. If you listen to acoustic jazz, you would like either of the speakers. You didn't mention room size. The Khorns will tuck nicely into the corners if you have them, The LS actually will take up more room, but placement can be more versatile. LaScalas are excellent for jazz and other forms of acoustic music, as well as rock and electronic music, although they may seem to lack a bit on the bottom end. I sold my '98 LS, but am rebuilding another pair. They are very hard to beat.

The LSII probably has the balance in the networks set a little better, but I brought the mids down a bit in mine and it magically made the bass sound more full.

Bruce

• Khorns have better bass with orchestral music -- LS sound "thinner," but since you listen primarily to jazz, you should be O.K.
  • LS II has a thicker, solider box -- some people say the bass is better than LS I.  I haven't heard the IIs.
  • As Marvel said, the IIs may have beetter balance in the networks (I don't know).

Marvel, how did you bring the mids down?  I've considered that in my Khorns, but the way they are wired, I thought an L pad or something would bring down the K77s, too, which I don't want to do.  But 2 or 3 dB less from the mid would probably be good.

Edited by garyrc

What should I look out for in purchasing Khorns used? Date of manufacture, etc.?

Year of manufacture isn't much of a factor.  Anything after the early 1960s (i.e., the introduction of the 3-way Khorn) is recommended.  You probably won't have to deal with the oldest Khorns since they are typically in pretty rough condition and have a niche marketplace that is into them. 

Newer models since 1995 will typically command a higher price, however it's the visual aesthetics that is the major factor here and not so much the sound quality. The older the model, the more you'll need to replace the crossover capacitors if they are over about 20 years old, as this is about the only thing that ages and should be replaced.  This isn't expensive or time consuming to do yourself. 

The main thing is to listen to them before buying to make sure they haven't been abused, i.e., having blown or damaged drivers, which would lower the selling price.

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

Gary, I would have to look at my crossover schematic to see what I did. I built some DHA2 networks, which allows changing the mids only. Seems around 3-3.5 db if I'm remembering correctly.

Made a lot of difference to these ears.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 1

My opinion is, if I were to be buying Khorns (and I have done so in the past), my first priority is the cabinet.  I want it to be in good condition and I want a pretty face on the front.

If I could find a pair of Madacassar (sp) ebony or Rosewood for $4,000 and a nice pair of Walnut for $3,000, I'd jump over the ebony first (presuming all in great condition)

Generally speaking, you'll find Walnut (which is what I had) and they can also be beautiful.  I just have a weakness for the more rare finishes.

You can always swap drivers or crossovers.  Indeed, you will typically hear about the crossover when you first buy a pair.

What about Rosewood at $1800 a pair? I guess I got lucky :D

• Like 2

So many good ideas.

Without my needing to tamper with the Lascalla's to bring the base down to what the K'horns are capable of (I like full range; in addition to jazz I listen to both rock, classical and orchestral music. In short, I want Bach on the organ to sound "full figured".)

It seems like then that I should make the best of the Khorns with the room that I will find (still sourcing real estate) and then build onto the house to accommodate the Klipshorns if I so desire.

Quick question: Anyone know of a reliable seller of used Khorns?

Year of manufacture isn't much of a factor.  Anything after the early 1960s (i.e., the introduction of the 3-way Khorn) is recommended.

That was extremely helpful. Thank you.

Btw, sorry to be a PITA. :)

Right now I do not have the time or the money to build an addition on the house to accommodate the very specific needs of the Khorns, which I have heard and think are the best speakers for the money.

Please tell me what I am giving up if I elect to go with the La Scala II instead of the mighty Khorns.

Note: I require clarity of sound and evenness of range, being an audiophile who listens primarily to Jazz. For the time being, due to my inabiltiy to afford a McIntosh tube amp, I am going with an Onkyo TX-8050.

Thank you,

Dennis

Bass response is what you give up. If you use La Scala II's you will need a sub to support the nether region (as some jazz has some deep bass - depending on what type of jazz you listen to). 

• Like 1

Have you ever considered a Cornscala build?  That would give you the high hat of a La Scala with the bass of a Cornwall (I own three Cornwalls myself). I primarily listen to Jazz and Gospel music and I'm totally satisfied with my Cornwalls with ALK model B .v2 crossovers! 

I want Bach on the organ to sound "full figured".)

Then you really do want Khorns, and perhaps horn-loaded subs someday.  The Khorns will certainly support that habit.

Quick question: Anyone know of a reliable seller of used Khorns?

Not really.  The lower the price, the more risk you take.  If you watch places like AudiogoN, you might find a really good pair listed, but the price will be high:  ebay and craigslist are the sources where you pays-your-money-and-you-takes-your-chances. 

I'd recommend watching ebay, and the Garage Sale Alerts here on this forum.  Sometimes merely listing a "want to buy" (WTB) ad in the garage sale area here, you might find a forum member that is looking to part with a pair--usually a redundant pair that they've been storing somewhere. 

The problem is that Khorns are typically not shipped but picked up by the new owner--due entirely to their size and weight.  If you want them shipped, then it gets a lot more involved. 

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

I'd get Khorns made after c1987, so that the newer fiberglass mid horn would be included (although some say it makes no difference) and the K77 tweeters would be front mounted.  I believe La Scalas also made those two improvements after 1987.

Be sure you look at the mid drivers and tweeters to make sure they are marked "Klipsch"  ... unless you are getting some that have been upgraded by one of the several people mentioned on the forum who do that. 

Khorns will have less FM distortion in the bass than Cornwalls or Cornscalas, although some people like the Cornwall bass punch.

If you like your jazz clear, go Khorns or La Scalas (or II).  If you also want good Bach organ sound, go Khorns, and as Chris said, later get a horn-loaded sub. to go with them.

Edited by garyrc
  • Like 2