Let's see your ride! And what have you had in the past?

Trentster5172

751ae30c9119430e009f4f90aebf86e3.jpg

My first vehicle: 1959 Dodge Post Office truck (purchased used at a government auction) - inline slant 6 engine - push button automatic transmission w/overdrive on the dash - one seater - http://www.onallcylinders.com/2014/01/20/top-10-engines-time-6-chrysler-225-slant-six/

r8fside-jr.jpg

My second vehicle: 1966 Renault R8 - rear engine - push button automatic transmission on the dash - leather seats front-and-back

carandstuff001.jpg

My third vehicle: 1969 VW Squareback (Type 3) - the first fuel injected engine by VW - air cooled (not very well) "pancake" 4 cylinder rear engine located underneath the floor boards

- three on the tree? (or on the floor???) - the heater was a flap door underneath the front seats with a vent to bring engine heat into the passenger compartment (a fan was an extra cost add-on)

487a2ccdc02c394c252be686ca5c3fec.jpg

My fourth vehicle: 1968 International Harvester Travelall - inline straight 6 engine - three on the tree

ebay_291280412071_2.jpg

My fifth vehicle: 1981 Ford Ranger F-100 - inline straight 6 engine - four on the floor w/overdrive - dual fuel tanks - lasted for 350,000 miles - http://www.onallcylinders.com/2014/01/22/top-10-engines-time-4-ford-300-i6/

TFJC_LD_6.jpg

My current vehicle: 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Teams Special Edition

6291868330_43037a1a66_b.jpg

fold-up-swiss-bike.jpg?w=614

By the way, I refuse to use the contemporary vernacular and call any of these vehicles my "ride". Just like in the 60's when I refused to say "groovy", "far out" and "dude".

Rant on - I can "go for a ride" and I can "take a ride" but I do not "go for a ride in my ride" . . . "I go for a ride in my car or truck or on my bicycle" - rant off.

Edited to add: I will agree that there are rides at amusement parks but I have never owned any of those rides since they are for the most part "fixed in place".

While I am on my "high horse" I will add that I own and I ride bikes (which is short for bicycles). I have never owned or ridden a motorbike (which is short for motorcycle).

Edited by blindman
  • Like 2

I had a 69 Squareback with the opposing cyl. enginne, but mine was a4 speed on the floor. Never knew they made a steering wheel mounted shifter. Not on any VW of the period.

It was a great car.

I might be wrong about the location of the shifter on the VW Squareback. 

As we say in Texas, "I have slept since then so I don't remember everything anymore."

Glad to hear that your Squareback was a good car.

Mine was the worst car I have ever owned.

:(

I replaced my VW with a used International Harvester Travelall.

My Travellall was an excellent vehicle which I kept for 200,000 miles.

It did have one major idiosyncrasy though: the shift linkage kept getting hung-up. 

It was not uncommon for me to have to crawl underneath to manually pull on the linkage rods to free them from their entanglement with each other.

I got pretty good at this and could do it in a few seconds at a stop light without making anyone behind me wait after the light had turned green.

Edited by blindman

21002832978_338dee5c0e_h.jpg

Everybody else is all looking at your car.  I'm just over here checking out the trailer.   :)  I sell those.  

Pic from a photoshoot last night:

13087595_1016333981737400_31443990826413

Interestingly enough, on Monday, some asshat backed into my trailer and worked over the light and bracket pretty well and took off.  At least I know that bracket had to do some serious damage to their car.   :)

I contacted Hull and asked them about fixing it.  For $100, they cut off the old bracket, welded a new one on, primed, painted and put a new tail light on.  You can't even tell anything happened and for that price from the guys who make the trailer, there really was not reason to try any other option.  I dropped it off on Tuesday to pick it up on Friday and bring it back to load up the car for a track event.  It was my first of the year and sketchy...  The high was in the low 50's with no sun and I was on some seasoned Hoosier R7's.  I did lots of power sliding at 70-95 mph turns staying flat in it.   :)

26126843774_da77fe870d_h.jpg

I'm just glad they didn't hit any further forward as they would have gotten into the wheel well.

26460630690_2d35ba8ac9_h.jpg

The yard is getting out of control... But I can't mow when it won't stop raining to where I sink in the ground.

26129288623_c1ee1a830b_h.jpg

I was hoping to have a better feel of the brakes, but the traction just wasn't there.  Normally, I have heat just pouring off the wheels and brakes (wheels too hot to touch) and the tires nice an hot, but I could barely get the tires to warm.  That said, they're bedded in and turning pretty colors.   :)

26126843514_04b0afe3f9_h.jpg

26129289313_4a1fbe7510_h.jpg

And since I love talking cars...   :)  A few buddies passed through and stayed the night on their way to compete in One Lap of America that started yesterday.  The white BMW won 7th overall and first in class last year.  The GT-R is competing in stock class, but is currently the overall #1 lead after 2 events, but he is also a professional driver (and his girlfriend and teammate can drive too).  

26126843594_1bc3a77931_h.jpg

26460630900_b2d037499e_h.jpg

• Like 4

1985 Saab 900

We had 2 Saabs, an 86' and 88' 900S. One of the worst designs for an automatic transmission ever. It encompassed the entire bottom of the engine and had two fluid chambers with two different kinds of fluid. There was a common shaft going through both chambers separated by a seal. If the seal failed (and they did a lot)the tranny was absolute toast. Saab had a TSB/Recall for it but almost nobody had theirs fixed. Hope your was a manual. :)

out of the carton mine looked just like this. has more racks and bags now along with a fine French Gilles Berthoud saddle.

And I'll bet you didn't even need to put your studded winter tires on last fall?  :)

my son rides on studded tyres every winter but I just wait for the roads and or sidewalks to clear. Had more than my share of accidents and injuries and have become more patient while he is still young enough and he has yet to break anything.

Breakage became a bit of a game changer for me from broken bones in my hands/wrist on a couple of different occasions to broken ribs (four) collar bone (rt side still totally broken eight years later) three breaks in one shoulder blade (at the same time) and a destroyed rt hip which has since been replaced with a metal one and that was all in one accident. That all slowed me down for a while and adjusted my attitude. Still like to ride. The hip replacement was a life saver for me. I was pretty much crippled and the arthritis in the hip several years after after the accident was mean. Thanks for great winter weather here and not too much persistent snow/ice this last winter.

Some rain would be very much welcome especially in the Ft. McMurray area right now. 

out of the carton mine looked just like this. has more racks and bags now along with a fine French Gilles Berthoud saddle.

And I'll bet you didn't even need to put your studded winter tires on last fall?  :)

my son rides on studded tyres every winter but I just wait for the roads and or sidewalks to clear. Had more than my share of accidents and injuries and have become more patient while he is still young enough and he has yet to break anything.

Breakage became a bit of a game changer for me from broken bones in my hands/wrist on a couple of different occasions to broken ribs (four) collar bone (rt side still totally broken eight years later) three breaks in one shoulder blade (at the same time) and a destroyed rt hip which has since been replaced with a metal one and that was all in one accident. That all slowed me down for a while and adjusted my attitude. Still like to ride. The hip replacement was a life saver for me. I was pretty much crippled and the arthritis in the hip several years after after the accident was mean. Thanks for great winter weather here and not too much persistent snow/ice this last winter.

Some rain would be very much welcome especially in the Ft. McMurray area right now. 

Here in Cowtown too. Been away for over a month and the yard is a weedy dust bowl.