Let's see your ride! And what have you had in the past?

Trentster5172

Jason, do you feel like the stock engine is a bit underpowered? I get that feeling, even when I'm in the VTEC powerband which I think is too short. It's like riding a 2 stroke bike.

What engine are you swapping into the car, and what why?

They have never figured out what the germans and Italians have with matching the engine to the transmission. 

Have you actually driven Honda's S2000? The 6 speed transmission in mine is a better transmission than in my M5.

Both the S2000 and M5 have a much better manual transmission's than my old Corvette. By a whole lot.

What M5 do you have? I'm looking at an M6, and I've owned a couple M3's.

I bought the last E39 M5 I could find (2003) after looking at what BMW proposed to replace it with in model year 2005 (a V10 Bangle-Mangle).

The E39 V8 M5 is the best M5 BMW has made (IMO). We've used it pretty much exclusively for road trips and the odometer is only at 35,000 miles today.

• Like 1

Had E36 and E46 M3's. I'm looking seriously at a year old M6. Everybody tells me to stop driving the superduty everywhere I go. It's a bit hard to park too. The only bad thing about this car is that it is RWD, and my driveway is a ***** in the winter. I might have to get an Audi RS7.

I tried a Merc S, but I really don't like them (I've owned a couple E's). Big 500+ engine doesn't make up for the fact that the arm rests are too darn low and make my shoulders hurt. I'd rather have an XJL AWD with a scant 340HP.

I'm probably gonna finance with selling my 2013 550 Spyder and my 67 FB Stang. I don't use either, and they just take up space.

I am running a flex fuel tune also...

21193648614_fae3e90974_k.jpg

17121351812_29f3736728_o.jpg

Ethanol is where it's at, especially when boosted!  I rune E85 in my STi, S2000, and also ran it in my supercharged SHO.  I've converted so many Subaru's to E85 that I can't really remember the last time I did a gas tune.  I tuned this 1995 SHO on E85 last year, and now he's adding an EFR 8374 that I'll go back out to Georgia to tune again.  :)

Is converting the S2K to E85 mostly bigger injectors and an UCU flash, or is there more to it than that?

You don't need bugger injectors to run e85... you'll need bigger injectors if you are spinning the motor higher than normal redline or if you're breathing is significantly more than OEM.

Edited by Schu

Is converting the S2K to E85 mostly bigger injectors and an UCU flash, or is there more to it than that?

Pretty much.  I used some OEM 07+ STi / 2006-2014 WRX injectors (565cc) with PnP clips (the injector was a direct fit with OEM seals) and tuned it.  I already had put in an AEM EMS 2, but you can use other routes of tuning like Haltech, Infinity, Greddy E-manage, etc.

Only 2006+ S2000's can be tuned/flashed on the stock ECU (and is also a return-less fuel system).  

16285461_large.jpg?v=1

I ran a couple years like that with stock everything else in the fueling system, but I finally had to make another fueling upgrade last year.  I always had fuel starve issues on track and AutoX at anything under 3/4 tank of fuel, so I added a fuel surge tank last year.  It connects to factory lines and mounts in place of charcoal canister. Everything else in the fuel system is still there and in use; stock pump is feeding a 155 lph Walbro in the surge tank and trigger a relay with the unused evap wires configued through the ECU as a second pump.  

11911347_10200782481841015_3515273516496

12108934_10200927097216309_4993770314733

I've done numerous track days after install, but today was my first AutoX since.  I was a bit rusty and the weather turned cold and was unable to get heat into the tires, so lots of sliding.

You don't need bugger injectors to run e85... you'll need bigger injectors if you are spinning the motor higher than normal redline or if you're breathing is significantly more than OEM.

Yes you do.  Lambda for E85 is ~30% more fuel by volume.  You will run out of injector with the stock injectors before factory redline.  Another option would be to bump the base fuel pressure up a bit with an aftermarket regulator, but I probably wouldn't do it without upgrading the pump another size up (stock pump might suffice, but I could never find exactly what the flow as on it or what it would actually flow at a higher base pressure).  Additionally, even if they could support enough fuel at redline, I wouldn't recommend running them 100% when using your S2000 like I do.  

Edited by yamahaSHO
  • Like 1

Yes you do.  Lambda for E85 is ~30% more fuel by volume.  You will run out of injector with the stock injectors before factory redline.  Another option would be to bump the base fuel pressure up a bit with an aftermarket regulator, but I probably wouldn't do it without upgrading the pump another size up (stock pump might suffice, but I could never find exactly what the flow as on it or what it would actually flow at a higher base pressure).  Additionally, even if they could support enough fuel at redline, I wouldn't recommend running them 100% when using your S2000 like I do.

Let me qualify that... you dont need larger injectors to run e85 with a proper tune (I thought that part of the statement was a given).

You'll definetely need larger injectors if you plan on raising the redline above factory limits and are breathing at higher volumes.

Let me qualify that... you dont need larger injectors to run e85 with a proper tune (I thought that part of the statement was a given).

You'll definetely need larger injectors if you plan on raising the redline above factory limits and are breathing at higher volumes.

A proper tune doesn't defeat mechanical limits.  The stock injectors, on E85, will go static before factory redline, regardless of tune...  Unless you like to run lean or maybe live 10,000 feet above sea level.

You realize I tune cars, right?  Lots and lots and LOTS of E85 converted tuning.  

• Like 2

A proper tune doesn't defeat mechanical limits.  The stock injectors, on E85, will go static before factory redline, regardless of tune...  Unless you like to run lean or maybe live 10,000 feet above sea level.

You realize I tune cars, right?  Lots and lots and LOTS of E85 converted tuning.  

Where do you live, and do you hire out or only work on your own stuff? 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 10:39 AM, mustang guy said:

Where do you live, and do you hire out or only work on your own stuff? 

I just saw this: I live in Denver.  I *mostly* try to work on my own stuff, but I started tuning other people more often about 5 years a go to stay current.  I actually made a trip to Atlanta last weekend to tune a 1995 Taurus SHO with an 12.5:1 compression motor running an EFR 8374 and E85.  We are starting to really push the limits of the stock ECU using Binary Editor, so we kept it at low/medium boost, although I did make several passes on the dyno at 21 PSI.  We hadn't had a chance to play with his stand alone boost controller, so the boost was really falling after peak.  At 21 PSI tapering to 13 PSI, the car made 520whp/557wtq.  It made 520whp from 4,500 RPM to 8,000 RPM.  He plans to compete at an event this Sunday and the goal is 10's.  Over winter, he's wiring in an AEM Infinity so we can have WAY more control and additional features as well as run 25 PSI.  He made a run with a car today from a roll and said he was right next to the other car that ran 168mph in the half mile, and this was on his low boost setting.  Video is supposedly to follow. 

The car ran mid 12's NA, 11.55 on a 100 shot, and 151mph in the half mile on the 100 shot. 

That said, here is the car after the dyno tuning:

On the dyno:

Last year on a 100 shot:

And 1320 Video just made a video on it recently.  I expect another when the car really starts showing at events with the turbo:

More info on the car can be found at: https://www.facebook.com/Blueturdtaurus

On the same weekend, another customer/friend of mine competed in one of the local roll race events, which are actually pretty fun:

I ran him earlier in the year before moving with my S2000.

I get pretty excited about this stuff.  :)

• Like 1

1967 Yamaha YL-1 twin jet 100 (the hotrod in the 100cc class in its day)...got it in November 1966, but wasn't "legally" driving it until March 1967 when I got my license at 13 years old.  I threw an extremely large paper route with that thing for almost three years!  The only kid in my grade throughout that time that always had a hundred bucks in his pocket!  LOL!

Later a Yamaha 180, and after that a RD 350, which was a REAL hot rod in its day!

Next ride was 1963 Rambler American...running on 5 cylinders when my stepmother gave it to me because Dad had bought her a 1967 Impala.

That Rambler was totally worn out when I got it and I replaced it with a VERY low mileage 1960 Studebaker Lark VIII, which was a GREAT CAR!  I got it for 200 bucks at an estate auction when I was a Junior in high school (1969).

1972 Yamaha XS-2 650...bought it new my bonus for enlisting in the Army...put over 125,000 miles on it and finally sold it to a collector about 5 years ago.

1962 BMW R-50/2.  Bought this hand-me-down bike in Mainz, Germany a few months before my unit moved to Italy in 1973.  Looked like hell but was mechanically perfect.  Rode it down to Vicenza when I went as advanced Party for the unit move to Italy.  Having this bike is what led me to buying the next one on the list because whenever I needed anything for it to maintain it I had to go to a shop in Vicenza that sold some pretty cool stuff:  Laverda, Ducati, MV Agusta, Moto Guzzi, Moto-Morini, etc.

1973 Ducati 750 SS ...yep, you guessed it!  I drooled over this thing for months before trading the old reliable Beemer in for it.  The way things worked in Italy is that you could have your motorcycle payments stretched out for 5 years and car payments stretched out for up to 15 years in those days...so, my being a PFC when I bought it, those terms worked fine for me.  I loved riding the Duck, ESPECIALLY on the Italian roads out in the country, and the Auto Strada, where I could put it through its speed trials after a tune-up.  That thing was a HOOT!  But, it was a maintenance nightmare!  The Dell'Ortos pumpers were the major problem because you could not get the adjustment screws to stay set, no matter what you tried...simply TOO MUCH SLOP in the threads...but I have ALWAYS seen that in the DellOrto's, so it must be an inherent issue with them.  I traded it in a little over a year later for the Ducati 900 SS, which was faster, but not as quick as the 750 was,,,still a maintenance nightmare, though.  I sure wish I had kept it when I left Europe and shipped it home...it would be worth a fortune now-a-days!

All my other rides have been non-descript functional reliable transportation:  except what I bought when I first got back the states in 1976...a used 1970 Plymouth Barracuda Grand Coupe...which really only needed cosmetics, but I finally gave up on because it had a annoying short somewhere in the wiring harness or somewhere else that I could never track down!  Plus it was a PITA for maintenance because the 383 headers forced you to do some pretty awkward stuff to get the spark plugs changed, among other things!  Again, it would be worth a pretty big chunk of cash if I still had it today since so FEW were ever made to begin with!  That is what I was driving when I started working for Klipsch.

1973 Pontiac Gran Prix J...big block 400...GOTTA LOVE THAT ENGINE!!  ( I personally think the big block 400 poncho is the best engine Pontiac ever made back in the day!) Turbo 400 tranny!  Posi-track rear end!  Lighter car than the SJ or LJ because it didn't have the extra weight of all those small motors for windows, seats, etc.  I put dual turbo stainless steel exhaust on it running out of Hedman Headers...and when the weather got around 70 degrees or above, just flip the air cleaner lid over and LET IT TALK!  DIstributer cap access was a PITA, though...hated changing points and rotors!  Put oil coolers either side of radiator, for tranny fluid to run through instead of it running into and out of radiator, which solved any overheating problems it occasionally would try to have.

Nothing to jump up and down abut since then...except for the only Bike I currently have, which I bought used with only 16,000 miles on it back in 1990 (bike has over 120,000 on it now!):  1983 BMW R100RT 60th Anniversary Edition...fast, smooth, reliable...just what somebody like me NEEDS for the long hauls!

I just love it when somebody tells me that I should get a new bike...something that "can keep up"...I just reply..."How much over 120 mph do YOU THINK I NEED to be able to go?"  Then they give me "that look"...LOL!

andy's.jpg

• Like 1