Maxing out the Stock Xover - space

I spent the better part of two weeks taking this impossible double boarded Xover ,extending it and filing it

with premium parts. was it worth it .it destroyes any crites Xover and far better parts then APL .

as long as you are using a powered sub . I crossover around 80hz with Rythmic servo subs . The detail and articulation now 

beat the snot out of many Speakers in many areas . Bass is solid down to mid 40s in room. 

One key is what many pros studios are now using Iso Acoustic stands -platforms .get rid of the risers put these underneath and full tiltback 

the Iso R430 i have under speakers and subs 

9 capacitors  and 4 resistors  all resistors are Mills 12 w ,1%, and a 50watt 1%.

on tweeter a .47 Clarity ESA capwith Mundorf Silver oil .33 in parrallel, next in order a Mundorf Supreme 1.5, then another 1.5 Supreme  to the upper mids

handed over to the Mid  a 3.0 clarity MR capacitor All metal foils.  then a 1% tolerance Dayton 5 uff MPK  then on other end a 4uf Dayton , to a 16uf Clarity ESA

for Bass then 2-15uf -Aeon  and a 16uf . I had to add a 1 inch spacer between board decks , and a 3.5 inch screw and lightly drill out the posts 

then i added AVM vibration treatment to all exposed resistor leggs and solder joints and drivers ,magnets. I have several caps under the top board and 1 under the bottom board .

I could not possibly fit more if I tried . All Klipsch Heritage caps are MYLAR 5% 250v . On Munforfs 1,000v ,and Clarity MR 400v was the smallest offered 

all others are 250v I did not get to take the final pictures forgot but you can see most of build what a ***** ,I also added my own accusastuff ,parts express and 

black hole cabinet treatment much much better without having to totally reinforce the cabinet only $650 after discounts . it sounds Great. 100 hours will get better to 200 

in my experience .

post-61395-0-10780000-1437304089_thumb.j

post-61395-0-19740000-1437304111_thumb.j

post-61395-0-36500000-1437304172_thumb.j

post-61395-0-82860000-1437304204_thumb.j

Edited by Audioman2122
  • Like 1

Only 6 post and you talk about "destroying" Crites crossovers?... We often attack what we feel most threatened by?.

Bob builds a quality product for a great price. Does he make the super zoot best no. I don't think you would want to match brain power with him, I have met the man!!

• Like 2

tc, I'll stick with Crites, too; but, post count has nothing to do with crossover knowledge, one way or t'other...

Your right I should have been more clear, I was mainly upset about bashing a respected person on this site ,with a low post count.

• Like 1

I crossover around 80hz with Rythmic servo subs. The detail and articulation now beat the snot out of many speakers in many areas . Bass is solid down to mid 40s in room.

Have you used something like the freeware application Room EQ Wizard (REW) and a calibration microphone (Amazon listing for the UMIK-1 here) to run sweeps on your crossovers? 

I'd recommend dialing in 850 Hz and 5 kHz sine wave using the same software, then dialing off those frequencies slightly, listening for any changes in timbre or distortion levels from the center of the crossover frequencies.  I'd also recommend placing a microphone on-axis about one metre in front of each speaker (testing one loudspeaker at a time with your subs) and running upsweeps from about 10 Hz to 20 kHz.

The good thing about REW is that it automatically does a lot of derivative calculations on each single upsweep so that you can look at several other performance areas such as harmonic distortion, impulse response, decay performance, room reverberation, and integration with your subs (including the SPL/frequency, harmonic distortion, and phase measurements), and the measurement upsweeps are very easy to save for later review.

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

Let me word this differently. I had NO intention of bashing Anyone Bob,and Al are very good at what they do .

I may be new to this Klipsch forum ,but not to knowing Xover parts very well since late 90s.

My point was. The parts used in my build are Superior to Sonicaps .if you bypass with their Teflon that makes them much better .

They donot want to spend the $$ though.This speaker now you would never know it was the same speaker .the resolution and refinement

Is Dramatically improved. I have owned several Klipsch speakers as well as speakers over the $10k range .

All these magazines and $$ big dollar speakers way over priced and a Klipsch speaker when modified can do several things as good or better then many big dollar speaker. I just wanted to see how much better my build would take me . I am content for at least for this year. Enjoy your music !!

• Like 1

He didn't bash Bob, he said his finished work "destroyed" Bob's crossover(s). Considering the parts that he used, I don't doubt it one bit.

I have found that kind of terminology or puffing fairly common on these and other audio boards, so it didn't bother me.  A person's own equipment, subs or speakers often "crushes, destroys" or otherwise "annihilates"  other gear.  No big deal.   :smile:

Now if he said he destroyed the well known and very popular Bob himself, we'd have to have a little talk.  :rolleyes:

+++

Mr. Audioman, what I don't understand is why you stuffed all those oversized components onto the stock XO board.  Would it not have made some sense to spread those components out onto a separate board or even a couple of boards and mounted them to the sides?

Did you list the price for all those goodies, minus your labor?  I don't have H-3's, but I'm curious. 

I'm also curious about your background and expertise, and that is a very serious XO you put together!  You must have a pretty solid background to put all those very expensive goodies together.  How did you decide the values of the parts, and what sonic goal did you have in mind for the speakers with the modded XO's?  I presume this was a one-off project for your personal speakers?

If I'm asking questions that are too personal or probing, feel free to ignore them.  It won't hurt my feelings.  B)

• Like 1

And which speakers are these xovers for?

There is a little tag (to make searching easier) attached to the initial post, "Making the Heresy-III better."  With all the descriptive stuff in the post, you're right, the name of the speaker, which is the subject of all this, gets a little lost.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

All these mods are interesting and sound like fun for DIY'ers.  The hard thing is how much do you invest in these XO's compared to the market value of the speaker.  The older the speaker, the lower the market valuse.  It is amazing that with each mod the typical person hears sonic perfection.  A comparison 3 months down the road would be interesting or if you had another pair of the exact speaker to do a true A/B testing.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 2

• 5 years later...