Recommendations For a Self Propelled Push Lawn Mower <$400

Tarheel

Just replaced my 24 year old mower with one of these.

Saves on storage is the main reason for buying and i buy Briggs engines because i am familiar with them.

Nothing wrong with the Honda engines but i tend to stay away from Kohler engines unless its for a winter machine like a snowblower or the like.

Edited by jason str
  • Like 2

Why go self propelled then?  The self propel mechanisms are the first thing to fail on those mowers plus they rob power from the blade.  There's almost cost prohibitive to fix as well.  Get a big rear wheel Toro with a Honda motor.  It will last a lot longer and is better exercise for you.

But the motor on the Toro that Dennie linked to is a Briggs & Stratton. 

MY JD requires me to push it but because I'm getting older I was thinking self propelled.  I understand what you're saying and worry about the extra parts failure.

The aluminum body on the JD is nice.

What about the Honda mower?

You have linked to the Honda with 160cc engine.  I am normally a Honda guy, because I think Honda's usually go in the "expensive but worth it" category.  I have the mulching version (no self propel) with 160cc engine and mine is a year-old.

Stay away from this model, it has known engine issues, it has for years, and Honda hasn't fixed it, to my knowledge.  Google "Honda 160cc lawnmower problems" for more details.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/1506745/problems-with-new-honda-lawnmower

The Honda has good tech that makes it super easy to start, like a half-pull your wife could easily do.  The internet search will tell you the 160cc engine will NOT start, but that is not my problem, mine is the opposite; it starts easily with one easy pull, but intermittenly will not run smooth due to the choke not releasing, staying in the choke position.

The problem is the engine comes with an auto-choke that makes it easy to start, but it becomes stuck on and won't release.  There is no throttle so it runs wide open all the time (thank you EPA for the emissions crap).  If the choke doesn't release, the engine sputters and runs about half-speed.  There is a work around if you don't mind getting your fingers around the carb area so you can unstick the choke, but it is aggravating to have to do that.  The problem happens almost always when it is hot, turned off, then you attempt to restart it.  Something about the heat affects the auto choke.

I really like Honda motors, but stay away from this one.  The Toro mowers with the Honda 160 engine have the same problem, BTW.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Briggs & Stratton is the largest engine manufacturer for power equipment and made right here in the good old USA.

I have no reservations recommending their products.

Briggs owns Snapper now and Briggs is probably the most renown (icon) engine in the History of the US with Tecumseh coming in second  and I bet every person in this forum has read a Briggs logo on something or another from Go-carts to tillers to every push mower out there.

I say buy what you have good luck with and what you like. I owned a Sears Craftman, I mean MTD, I mean Toro,  for one week before I bought my JD. I hit a smallish limb that was hidden in the grass which bent the crank and moments later started vibrating and a few moments later blew the head gasket. I later found out the blade is a direct drive off of the crank with the "MTD" line and it will die if you hit anything solid. It was a self propelled $300 dollar mower in the mid to late 90's. Anyway they prorated it and took it back which I was very pleased with. I then went and spent $600 dollars more almost 20 years ago on the JD which has cut fence posts, hidden rebar, mulple rounds of barb wire, cutting year end gardens you name it. I have never changed the drive belt for the blade or drive system,  I have nothing to lose at this point..... This thing wont die and still stripes Zoysia grass. 

Tarhill, you have a 19 year old JD that I bet still runs like a champ. How many guys here are saying look at my 20 year old mower that's still kicking butt?  You will not find a better or tougher brand than JD.

• Like 1

But the motor on the Toro that Dennie linked to is a Briggs & Stratton.

They use HONDA as well

That's a Troy Bilt......are they the same?

No I'm just retarded.  I have a troy built.  Feel free to disregard anything I ever write.

• Like 1

Honda 160cc lawnmower problems

I googled that exact phrase and got 1 article.

Was it this one?

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/1506745/problems-with-new-honda-lawnmower

Try this link, which is the exact phrase honda 160cc lawn mower won't start

https://www.google.com/search?q=Honda+160cc+lawnmower+problems&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=honda+160cc+lawn+mower+won%27t+start

There are more, I just pulled that phrase from my memory.  There are Youtube videos (mostly useless) on how to repair the choke problem.

My Honda sputters and spits, and I tried all the usual gas changes and nothing worked until I manually poked my fingers around the engine and unstuck the choke.

Maybe the problem isn't as big as I fear, but my one year-old Honda mower certainly has it.  :sad:

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Briggs & Stratton is the largest engine manufacturer for power equipment and made right here in the good old USA.

I have no reservations recommending their products.

Briggs owns Snapper now and Briggs is probably the most renown (icon) engine in the History of the US with Tecumseh coming in second  and I bet every person in this forum has read a Briggs logo on something or another from Go-carts to tillers to every push mower out there.

I say buy what you have good luck with and what you like. I owned a Sears Craftman, I mean MTD, I mean Toro,  for one week before I bought my JD. I hit a smallish limb that was hidden in the grass which bent the crank and moments later started vibrating and a few moments later blew the head gasket. I later found out the blade is a direct drive off of the crank with the "MTD" line and it will die if you hit anything solid. It was a self propelled $300 dollar mower in the mid to late 90's. Anyway they prorated it and took it back which I was very pleased with. I then went and spent $600 dollars more almost 20 years ago on the JD which has cut fence posts, hidden rebar, mulple rounds of barb wire, cutting year end gardens you name it. I have never changed the drive belt for the blade or drive system,  I have nothing to lose at this point..... This thing wont die and still stripes Zoysia grass. 

Tarhill, you have a 19 year old JD that I bet still runs like a champ. How many guys here are saying look at my 20 year old mower that's still kicking butt?  You will not find a better or tougher brand than JD.

I'll say that. I'll say that 2 times. I've got Snapper Hi-Vac mowers that are older than yours. And they still cut grass and have never needed anything other than a spark plug and air cleaner. B&S engines.

Several years back I was researching pressure washers. Looking at the exploded view of various engines I noticed the Honda engines had composite cranks. I don't like plastic crankshafts myself. Check out the engine you're buying before you buy.

Keith

• Like 1

I was told retarded is no a longer socially acceptable term.

Mentally challenged or big dumbazz should now be used so not to offend.

The eventual valedictorian of the class I escaped from to get out early told us that in the 70's.  It struck me as PC which I don't think was popularly coined at the time, and I have rebelled at PC ever since.  We have a language comprised of words which have meaning.  Negating the use or definitions of our words leads IMO to less effective communication rather than more. 

Maybe the problem isn't as big as I fear, but my one year-old Honda mower certainly has it.

The mower I gave my son is about 10 years old.  Mine is about 2 or 3.  I've never had an issue with either one.  I've had Briggs and Tecumseh in the past.  The Honda is quieter, easier to start and uses less fuel than my past mowers.  On my Briggs mowers it seems that I'd have to clean the fuel passages in the carbs every couple seasons.  I don't know what's different on the Hondas but I've never had to take one off.  YMM certainly V. 

• Like 1