Recommendations For a Self Propelled Push Lawn Mower <$400

Tarheel

• Moderators

Here you go Tarheel, it's a little more work but you know the extra exercise will help you keep up with young LF.  :D

I used a push mower about 10 years ago to help my aunt finish her yard, it was a Honda self propelled with 2 speeds, uncomfortably slow or almost jogging, it was a killer

post-9700-0-90420000-1437587560_thumb.jp

• Like 1

A little more exercise than I need....but thanks :)

Went out and checked the oil even though it was changed in April.  It was a little low so I topped it off.  Will see if that makes a difference.   Also looked at the cable to the handle and really didn't see a way to adjust that.

My neighbor almost 70 has Zoysia which has to be cut with a reel mower.  She has this big, heavy, monster that pulls her a long.  They are pretty pricey and recently the mower has been chewing up her yard :wacko:  Remind myself to stay away from Zoysia.

Edited by Tarheel

I don't know if will grow there, but I don't see why not.  If your lawn gets full sun plant buffalo grass.  It is a short prairie grass that needs little if any mowing depending on the look you want.  Then instead of buying spending on a mower you can just hire a kid a couple or three times a year.

The model Honda I mentioned in an earlier post is HRC 216. A commercial grade, steel decked, hydrostatic drive mower. It's a heavy beast. I cut a lot of grass so I change oil twice each season and after the last cut of the year. I let it run until the gas is out and it quits, put in fresh oil and in the barn she goes. Next spring 1 pull and I'm cutting grass. These things are built heavier duty but much like the very first Hondas in the US. I was told by more than one dealer that Honda overbuilt their first mowers to such a degree that they did no better than break even as they established the US. I had one of those and it was the bet mower I ever owned, until this one.

• Like 1

• Moderators

It's a good idea to change the oil often, usually only takes a quart anyway, more of a pain then the cost.

One of my 2" water pumps has a low oil switch, if the oil get's low it will not start plus there is a little light by the kill switch that flashes at the same pace as it would normally fire the plug. It does not have to be low much at all for this to happen, sometimes even just on the right slope is enough to set it off.  I like the idea though, especially with something like the water pump where you start it and leave it run for hours, it would save the motor.

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1