Recommendations For a Self Propelled Push Lawn Mower <$400

Tarheel

Easy answer.  The JD JX 90. Its not cheap and you cant get them at a big box store, but it will live forever with the aluminum deck.   I have a JX 75 that I bought I think in the late 90's.  Its still self propelled and all I have replaced are the tires, (because the were slick) oil and blade.  The bag has even held up. The OHV Kawasaki engine will never die.

John-Deere-JX90-23-04-2013-001.jpg

• Like 1

I've got a Craftsman now but it's on it's second 6.5 motor. First motor came down with the worst case of piston-slap I've ever heard after only two seasons (Sears said nah, bubba, nah to the warranty). Bought a replacement B&S motor on the net for about $200 and that thing works like a dream. Starts first pull every time (except after having the deck tipped over to hose off the bottom).

Only problem I ever had with it was one of the wheels' drive shaft locked up (corroded) and was stripping the gear teeth on that one wheel. And finding the sp belt proved daunting because an automotive belt comes in even-inch sizes and this thing is in between. Mower shop had one but it was $22.

Would love to get a rider but, for now, there's no place to store it (would hate to leave it outside under a tarp). Cutting 3/4 acre with an SP push mower is a little more than I want to do. Not so bad when my 11-year old grandson spends the night with us.....he loves to help do anything I'm doing.

Edited by Mighty Favog
  • Like 1

I've been in the Landscaping/Gardening business for over 20 years and if I needed a home lawn mower, I would serious look at this All Wheel Drive Toro for $399...   CLICK HERE

db28bcb3-0516-4ae8-b200-4e86283b30e4_400

It should last the rest of your life and is very easy to operate.  I recommended one to a friend and he loves it. 

Dennie

• Like 2

Why go self propelled then?  The self propel mechanisms are the first thing to fail on those mowers plus they rob power from the blade.  There's almost cost prohibitive to fix as well.  Get a big rear wheel Toro with a Honda motor.  It will last a lot longer and is better exercise for you.

• Like 1

Title says it all.  What mower do you have and do you like it.  I will be replacing a 1999 John Deere 21" push mower.....not self propelled.  Fairly small flat grassed area.

Well, self propelled and Push are a little confusing...  think.gif

But I think you meant "walk behind" mower. 

Dennie

• Like 1

I've purchased 2 Toro/Honda combos over the years.  I have no idea how long they'll last as they're both still in use.  The first one I gave to my son so he'd have something to use at his house and I bought myself another newer version just like it.  Really easy to unload the bag if you use it.  I typically mulch though.

• Like 2

All of my Gold Dredges are Honda powered, and so is my mower.

Never not one time, has one not started, make/model does not matter, add a hundred to whatever it is your looking at. mine is Lowes $250 front wheel drive assist, 6 years so far, still starts first pull.

I'll sell ya mine, lawn is dead, the "New" Calif norm.

• Like 1

I've purchased 2 Toro/Honda combos over the years.  I have no idea how long they'll last as they're both still in use.  The first one I gave to my son so he'd have something to use at his house and I bought myself another newer version just like it.  Really easy to unload the bag if you use it.  I typically mulch though.

Mulching is the best, it returns the nutrients to the lawn and saves having to empty the bag!  thumbup.gif

You can't really beat the Toro/Honda combo, but Toro switches engine manufactures and I take what they are offering at the time.  I think my commercial Toro's have Kwai's on them right now.   Work great! 

Dennie

• Like 3

I just replaced my old trusty Craftsman with a Husqvarna with a Honda OHV engine. This thing rocks. Starts easy, one handle height adjustment, cuts clean and hasn't clogged even when cutting wet grass.

husqvarna.jpg

Edited by Wardsweb
  • Like 2