Recommendations For a Self Propelled Push Lawn Mower <$400

Tarheel

Yes, a friend recently got a Fainting Goat he named Billy.  Eats a lot and very entertaining!  But in your location, I think you should round up some crabs and go with the Barney Rubble Custom Classic.

• Like 1

+1

I bought one of these a few months ago…..it's been great so far….but hey…it's a Honda :D

+1. I bought one 3 years ago and it has started on the first pull every time except for maybe 3. I change the oil, blade, air filter, and spark plug every spring and haven't had a problem (knock on wood).

+1

I bought one of these a few months ago…..it's been great so far….but hey…it's a Honda :D

+1. I bought one 3 years ago and it has started on the first pull every time except for maybe 3. I change the oil, blade, air filter, and spark plug every spring and haven't had a problem (knock on wood).

I'm with you guys, I love Honda's and I wish mine didn't have the sputtering problem on hot restarts.  Mine starts if you even think about half-pulling the rope, I wondered if there was a cable actuated decompression mechanism when you first start it because it pulls so easy.

Maybe its like everything else, you don't hear about the 99% that work, you just hear about the 1% that doesn't.  Tarheel, maybe you could try the Honda and make sure you use it hard before the warranty period is up, or maybe even get the extended warranty. 

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Tarheel, maybe you should try the Honda and make sure you use it hard before the warranty period is up, or maybe even get the extended warranty.

You're completely negating the benefits of a pigmy goat.  Not just for the grass but for the companionship for Chuck and his dog.  It would also have been bred in the USA.  Honda...snort.

• Like 2

Honda commercial at a mower dealer not available at box stores. Hydrostatic tranny, she's a heavy brute. Mines out in the barn so not sure of the model number but like some of the other good ones listed it ain't cheap around 1200 bucks.

• Like 1

I bought a 6.5 HP Craftsman electric-start, self-propelled mower in 1995.  I had to replace an O-ring in the carburetor and a new battery for the electric starter last year - total parts cost about $40 (didn't really need the battery because I always pull start, but I just like to have everything working properly).

The selling price was over $600 at the time, but I paid around $400 for the thing in the Sears scratch and dent area (it was neither scratched nor dented - probably a buyer's remorse return).  I figure I've gotten my money's worth out of it if it quit tomorrow, but it starts every time.  My only complaint is that it is heavy.  If it was not self-propelled, it would be difficult to push in thick grass.

Edited by Seadog
  • Like 2

• Moderators

P.S. the trick with Hondas is simply turn off the gas, and let it run out when done mowing.

The commercial guys I know swear by Honda power for their "small push behind" mowers. They also say it is very important to change the oil per Honda's reccomendations, or at least once a year, minimum.

Not sure what it is about Honda, but apparently it is the way to go.

Travis

• Like 2

They also say it is very important to change the oil per Honda's reccomendations, or at least once a year, minimum.

True for any mower engine.  I do oil once a year, air filter once or twice as needed a year, and spark plug once a year whether it needs it or not.  I also change the blade once a year, mmm hhmm.  Alright then.

Edited by oldtimer

Would like to keep the John Deere since it has an aluminum deck.....no rust in 16 years.  The last two summers I have had a problem with it cutting off during mowing.  I will start right back up when this happens.  Just annoying.

Talking to a friend at breakfast he advised me to check the oil level.  He said that some mowers will cut off if the oil is the least bit low.  Sloped lots are a problem according to friend.  I haven't check the level yet.

What doesn't fit is my lot is pretty flat and this problem has been going on for two years.

A spring tune up by a tech has not helped.  May call JD service dept. today.

Thanks for the help gents.

• Like 1

The last two summers I have had a problem with it cutting off during mowing. I will start right back up when this happens. Just annoying.

I don't know anything about the John Deers but mowers in general have a circuit that allows for spark to be created when a lever is held and you want the mower to start/run.  It's a safety mechanism designed to shut off the mower if you fall and let go of the handle.  It basically cuts off the spark by grounding the coil.  Over time the cables can stretch or become out of adjustment allowing the engine to shut off unintentionally.  You might take a look at that mechanism.

• Like 1

Tarheel,

These guys are talking about 20 year mowers??? PFT! I am 51 years old and have two of my dads old push mowers running that I used as a kid!

Mom and Dad have owned a Dixie Chopper Rider (the best rider man has yet to produce) for over 20 years and push NOTHING!

Maybe I am a mower snob, but I have never seen as many 30 year old plus machines still working daily as an aluminum decked, self propelled 2-cycle Lawn Boy, and I own two of them to prove it!

Presently on the property, I have a 7.5 HP techumsa on the kids go cart, a 13 HP Honda pressure washer, and a 25 HP Kohler on the riding mower and I've owned many Briggs.

I rate Techumsa as the worst, then Briggs, then Kohler, then Honda is the best of the 4 cycles, but you just can't kill a 2-cycle Lawn Boy!

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer
  • Like 1