in the market for good used suv for wife

Daddy Dee

been browsing craigslist. don't want to spend alot of money. 

one thing i've had trouble understanding the difference between

the Acura RDX and MDX. 

Also one of these is Acura's version of the Honda CRV, right?

Any thoughts are welcome. Probably looking at something in the 

neighborhood of 2007 model. 

Any recommendations on other possibilities?

If it was up to me, we'd buy a Tahoe or Jimmy and be done with it. It's going to be her car, so whatever she wants is really ok with me. She thinks the Rav4 is really cute. 

• Like 1

been browsing craigslist. don't want to spend alot of money. 

one thing i've had trouble understanding the difference between

the Acura RDX and MDX. 

Also one of these is Acura's version of the Honda CRV, right?

Any thoughts are welcome. Probably looking at something in the 

neighborhood of 2007 model. 

Any recommendations on other possibilities?

If it was up to me, we'd buy a Tahoe or Jimmy and be done with it. It's going to be her car, so whatever she wants is really ok with me. She thinks the Rav4 is really cute. 

Believe it or not - you may want to try of all things ... a Hyundai Santa Fe!!!!! That's a great car, very safe and has a lot of luxuries!!!!!! 

• Like 1

Mileage'wise they're about the same. The RDX is suppose to be the sportier (stiffly sprung) riding, while the MDX is roomier, with a bigger feel (bit more cargo room) and refined (smoother) ride. Don't imagine price difference will be that significant for 2 similarly equipped, equally conditioned cars. MDX should come in a tad lower in price.

reliability, win-win, no matter what you choose.

Edited by Gilbert

My wife has the Honda CRV 2007.  She loves it, it's built on the Civic chassis, but has 17" wheels, big brakes and better suspension so it has a smooth ride.  It is the All Wheel drive model (full time 4wd) and gets a legit 24 MPG with 50/50 highway/city driving.  On the interstate only you can expect about 29 MPG.  It rides 4 people comfortably and has a very large and versatile trunk area.

Known problems are the automatic door lock, and the air conditioning clutch and coil WILL go out, it's a known Honda problem ($400, but my dealer is splitting that with me because it is a known problem, Honda takes care of it up to 100k miles).  We had an air conditioner blender motor go out ($250), and I think nearly all Honda's are about to have the air bags recalled, so that is a factory warranty fix.  I think the recently announced air bag problems are with one supplier for nearly all the Japanese car makers.  Honda recommends replacing the timing belt at 120K as routine maintenance, a $500 procedure.

With 150K miles it still rides smooth and quiet, and frankly is very "tight" feeling, like new.  Doors open and shut with one finger, tolerances are tight and fit is excellent.  It rides very quiet, no rattles.  There is no oil usage and the engine area is clean (no oil leaks.)  I would expect one could get 4 more years/60K miles out of it with no major problems, but the timing belt replacement around 150K is not an option, it should be replaced.

I don't know about the Acura, but the 2007 Honda CRV is highly recommended.  The Acura is the high end model built by Honda, but it is not a Honda.

+++

Edit:  My wife's friend has a RAV 4.  She is likewise very happy with the RAV.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

We had the Tahoe when our three daughters were young. Had great experience with. Neighbor had RAV, they loved it, until they started a family. Difficult with car seats, and concern with safety.

As are daughter's grew, the oldest left for college. We downsized to a Subaru. Wife has been much happier with her Outback, I even love how it handles. Has just over 80,000 miles, still tight car. If you need additional room for trips add a Thule box. We average 24 miles around town, have the 6 cylinder. The 4 cylinder gets mid 20's in town and mid 35' on highway. No timing belt, rather they use a chain. Save a couple hundred bucks every 90,000 miles as a chain never needs to be replaced.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

No timing belt, rather they use a chain. Save a couple hundred bucks every 90,000 miles as a chain never needs to be replaced.

I've had a chain snap on me before.  Never replacing them isn't something I feel good about.  What sucks even more is that all newer Subaru engines are of the interference type.  Google it.  It basically means that if your timing chain goes out, your entire engine is about ruined.  At least with non-interference ones they just die and won't run until you put a new chain on.  

• Like 1

Timing chains normally stretch and skip a tooth where a belt will normally loose teeth, both are wear items and need replacement at some point.

Don't base your decision on this.

Subaru would be my last choice on a used vehicle. :lol:

Mom has a 2013 Honda CRV it is a good mini SUV but it does have its quirks but not a bad choice for a used vehicle.

• Like 1

• Administrators

My wife just totaled her 2012 GMC Terrain last week. (rear-ended some jackass who decided to stop in the middle of the street, going about 40mph - nobody was hurt thankfully)

I bet you could buy it from Geico for reaaaaal cheap.  :blink:

rear-ended some jackass who decided to stop in the middle of the street, going about 40mph

What your wife experienced was a display of common courtesy. People do that around my house all the time. When that happens to me and I comment out loud my wife usually tells me that the driver was just being courteous. I tell her to try that the next time she's going 70MPH down I65 and she sees a car coming down an on-ramp.

Keith

Daddy Dee,

our family has a 2007 Rav4.  Bought it new and just turned over 100k miles.  I have never had a more reliable car (knock wood).  It's a six cylinder; has plenty of power and is very comfortable.  From time to time I load it up for my work and it handles a lot of weight with ease.  Once put two Belles in it, no problem!

D

• Like 2

Ii read it as wanting to trade the wife for a good used suv.

That's what I thought as well after a brief dyslexic moment.

I'm good now.

I would recommend a Subaru Forester or Crosstreck if she is not hard core off roading. Subarau's all wheel drive system is the best there is and their CVT transmission is very smooth and is built to last. Basically the Volvos of Japan. You can't kill them.

Daddy Dee,

our family has a 2007 Rav4.  Bought it new and just turned over 100k miles.  I have never had a more reliable car (knock wood).  It's a six cylinder; has plenty of power and is very comfortable.  From time to time I load it up for my work and it handles a lot of weight with ease.  

Once put two Belles in it, no problem!

Forget reliability, comfort, price, and gas mileage, there's your criteria for buying a used vehicle!  :D

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

My wife has the Honda CRV 2007.  She loves it, it's built on the Civic chassis, but has 17" wheels, big brakes and better suspension so it has a smooth ride.  It is the All Wheel drive model (full time 4wd) and gets a legit 24 MPG with 50/50 highway/city driving.  On the interstate only you can expect about 29 MPG.  It rides 4 people comfortably and has a very large and versatile trunk area.

Known problems are the automatic door lock, and the air conditioning clutch and coil WILL go out, it's a known Honda problem ($400, but my dealer is splitting that with me because it is a known problem, Honda takes care of it up to 100k miles).  We had an air conditioner blender motor go out ($250), and I think nearly all Honda's are about to have the air bags recalled, so that is a factory warranty fix.  I think the recently announced air bag problems are with one supplier for nearly all the Japanese car makers.  Honda recommends replacing the timing belt at 120K as routine maintenance, a $500 procedure.

With 150K miles it still rides smooth and quiet, and frankly is very "tight" feeling, like new.  Doors open and shut with one finger, tolerances are tight and fit is excellent.  It rides very quiet, no rattles.  There is no oil usage and the engine area is clean (no oil leaks.)  I would expect one could get 4 more years/60K miles out of it with no major problems, but the timing belt replacement around 150K is not an option, it should be replaced.

I don't know about the Acura, but the 2007 Honda CRV is highly recommended.  The Acura is the high end model built by Honda, but it is not a Honda.

+++

Edit:  My wife's friend has a RAV 4.  She is likewise very happy with the RAV.

I bought a CRV when they came out in 97. Never changed the timing belt, regular oil changes and normal maintenance( brakes, tires) I sai I was going to run it til the wheels came off. In 2012 (215,00 miles) going 85 MPH by the Hinsdale oasis, the front tire decided to come off, as in shred. It took off the quarter panel, part of the hood and grill, door and tore everything inside the wheel well to pieces. I took it to Pauly Toyota, bought my mom a 2012 Corolla and they gave me $500 for the CRV. I thought I was going to have to pay them to take it. It was a great SUV, its in my avatar with the Lab I got in 97. I bought the SUV so he could ride in comfort LOL

Mark

• Like 1

Another vote for the CRV here.  Wife has a 2008 EX AWD and it runs fantastic.  The A/C clutch did go out but Honda covered it completely and extended the warranty period on it.  Did the door lock update even though we had no problems.  They even repainted and treated the rear hatch as a preventative measure even though there were no signs of rust.  (VT roads are heavily salted and winters are brutal up here). It is the only vehicle that we purchased new that we were totally confident not buying an extended warranty.  OEM front brakes lasted to 100K before needing replacement.  Keep up on the regular maintenance and it will last a long time.

We put studded winter tires on it during the winter months and it can trudge through anything mother nature has thrown at it. 

Will never buy another GM product again.