uh this thing looks to be a game changer.

Scrappydue

• 5 weeks later...

Is it musical?

We have a WINNER folks!

Just get the Klipsch THX system and never look back.

thrse are good. IF you can score a used pair and amp for around 1500$. I don't think they are worth any more than that.

I was able to pick up a pair of banged up subs (mushroomed corners from shipping damage) on eBay for about $750 for the pair then added a brand new Samson SX3200 (750x2) for $500 so about $1250 total investment. This set up will blow the doors off of a pair (2) of RSW-15's in terms of low end shake and total output. It's almost hard to believe that a pair of 12's can produce so much bass in such relatively small cabinets. Overall I'm very happy with the Ultra 2's performance. I do think that for low level, critical listening with music the RSW-15's are cleaner, more "musical" if you will. And my buddies UM-18 in a ported cabinet seems to do the subsonic rumble a bit better in terms of room shake and quivering like on the movie "Interstellar." So really I find them as a good "middle of the road" setup that does both music and movies quite well but not the best of either that I have heard.  

• Like 1

A game changer? What's so revolutionary about a ported 18?

"Ho Hum...another major breakthrough."

1960s Klipsch ad

Dave

Yeah I see 140 pound finished consumer-friendly ported 18's with a nice amp for $1,400 total including shipping all over the place. Best Buy, Crutchfield, Monoprice, Wal-Mart... they're a dime a dozen.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

It doesn't but it is currently being tested. The owner of RA said it should outperform 2 of his Gamma 15's and possibly 2 of his Gamma 18's. 

The new PSA V3600i also looks like a game changer. 

We are living in the late 60's - early 70's muscle car, horsepower era, just for home theater subwoofers. Actually, we are living in the horsepower muscle car era again also, pretty exciting times!  

From the owner of RA:

BTW, I had to make a few corrections on the Gamma 21 page.
Paul will be using 400 oz motor for the production 21"s and the outside dimensions before grill and feet are 24" x 24" x 20".

Sorry for any confusion.
Edited by K5SS
  • Like 1

When these first came out, people were saying that is the same driver that has like 5" of xmech. As much as I like the effort, I still think that box is probably a little small if so. They're putting it in a 6 cubic foot box before ports, driver, or braces. Driver displacement is at least .3 so we're down to 5.7.

That's a full length port, 18.5" wide, port would take up 3" the way it's built. They probably had to tune it to 18 hz. So, if you do the math, that's probably a 4 cubic foot box not counting the port and braces. That size port tuned to 18 hz would be about 48" long and take up 1.54 cubic feet counting the wood.

To have that much xmax/xmech and be tuned that low, 4 cubic feet seems tiny. I've never seen another ported 18 that small that can go that low. The LMS Ultra is known to take very small boxes and it wants 3.4 cubic feet, but that's tuned to 33 hz. They're probably tuning to nearly half that if the 15 hz extension is correct, and a port that big can't be short if that's the case.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

The Echo 18 is a decent ID sub for the cost.  AVS ULF thread did a comparison of 18 in. subs.  Note the cost of a Mini Marty if you are up to DIY.  I swapped drivers and built 2 Mini Marty and 2 full  Marty type subs with a few modifications.  I have kinda loss all interest in ID and store subs.  Cost and performance are big factors.  The only problem with DIY is equipment purchase to do the project and the learning curve.  The Echo 18 XL is a monster!

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

You DIY sub guys have it made in the shade. The projects also look like a lot of fun.

My problem is that I can't build stuff gud..

I am at the 1/2 way point for my Gamma 15 delivery. I would have loved to go after the Gamma 18 but the space the sub has to go, couldn't accommodate. Oh well;(

• Like 1

RA makes some nice subs and the cost is not bad.  I am into big subs for now do to the room size and being on concrete.  One or two 15's could be perfect for some rooms.  You loose around 10-13 db in a basement on concrete compared to upstair.  That's a lot loss in a basement. :)

The Echo 18 is a decent ID sub for the cost. AVS ULF thread did a comparison of 18 in. subs. Note the cost of a Mini Marty if you are up to DIY. I swapped drivers and built 2 Mini Marty and 2 full Marty type subs with a few modifications. I have kinda loss all interest in ID and store subs. Cost and performance are big factors. The only problem with DIY is equipment purchase to do the project and the learning curve. The Echo 18 XL is a monster!

i like charts like this until I see something that makes zero sense. Like why a si 18 driver in a box that has half the wood cost is 50$? Doesn't make sense. Half the wood and the si driver is 100$ cheaper than a ultimax.

The cost factors is based on members of the ULF thread and what then spent.  DIY can be cheaper but, it depends on if you have to buy a lot of things to do the project and your time.  The subs I just built were cheaper than the first because I had to get clamps, paint, primer, sandpaper for an orbital sander, jigsaw, ect.  If you only plan on making one or two, ID purchases are a decent value.

The downside of some of the DIY subs is their size compared to a smilar ID sub.  A lot of ID subs try to keep the box size smaller because everyone does not want a sub the size of a compact frig.  You can take a lot of drivers and get a pretty good low end with a huge box.  A buddy of mines has 4 Stone Hammers subs.  Each in a 20 ft. cu. box with the SI HT 18's and he has as much output as all my subs.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...