What's an audiophile?

Nice article reference Maynard, I enjoyed reading that.  :emotion-21: 

I thought the author was cynically honesty with himself mixed with some humor, and had a couple of good stories.  You knew right away it was cynical/humorous when the title of the article asking what an Audiophile is, included the sub-title "Part 634."  :lol:

+++

If you have 5,000 posts on the Klipsch Forums, you just might be an audiophile.  :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

"An audiophile loves good sound and good music," he declared, "and strives to extract great sound from quality recordings in order to experience music to its fullest."

Hard to argue with that.  By the way you can skip most of the hardware aspect simply by getting ahold of some really righteous weed.

However that route can lead to unintended consequences, so overall your are better off going after better hardware; a  better medium like lps; and, a better grade of donuts, just in case you decide that righteous weed is a better route than a new $7000 preamp with $20k wires.
Edited by thebes
  • Like 7

Didn't read before I posted; but, thought to myself, I just like good music & sound, & I'm gonna spend much more time listening, than worrying about my gear.

Which is only partially true, since I hang out here; but, thanks to this iPhone, I can do both, at the same time....

• Like 3

Many have said it before and I will say it again, what a great forum as I continue to learn new things everyday.  B)

And here I always thought that an audiophile was a person who enjoys sex acts involving the ear. :o

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 4

If you have 5,000 posts on the Klipsch Forums, you just might be an audiophile.  :P

During our after busy season party I had met a couple that named their sons Logan, Martin and Krell, then found out they named their daughters Maggie, Linn and Avalon; I suddenly realized that “they just might be audiophiles.” :huh:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hard to argue with that.  By the way you can skip most of the hardware aspect simply by getting ahold of some really righteous weed.

You can say that again....Hard to argue with that.....Thebes, you are a hoot....and I mean that in the most respectful way....

• Like 1

My 1977 Websters New Collegiate Dictionary defines an audiophile as "one who is enthusiastic about sound reproduction and esp. music from high-fidelity broadcasts or recordings". 

• Like 1

How to do this without being too long winded?

OK I used to be an audiophile. Two things have changed. The first is my hearing which is not what it was (50% hearing loss in my left ear over 10K, less in the right). Second is that I was at a friends house a few years back listening to my own copy of the Rach 3 (Ashkenazy / Previn / LSO, London recording) and as the second movement ended I queried whether he thought the amp was clipping at points. I realized I was no longer listening to the music but listening to the system. My favorite piece of music of all time had become a test piece.

That was a shock. The cure was to move away from audiophilia for a while and to deliberately listen to lesser systems. At first it hurt but after a while I could focus on the music and after a longer while my brain filled in the missing parts, or improved the parts that weren't rendered so well.

Now I can listen to any system with scant regard to what it is (ok within limits) and hear the music as my brain tells me it should be.

I still appreciate a good system that presents the music well, but its no longer such a biggie as it was. I'm listening to music again, not systems. Its quite a relief.

• Like 5