Identifying my surround speakers,

aenus

Ahoy hoy, was hoping you all could help to identify my 5.1 speaker set. There seems to be no model markings on any of the satellite speakers, so I was just wondering what the best method to figure it out would be. They were in a box set, four identical satellites, one center channel with a little rubber stopper so it would sit flat, and a sub woofer. Got them a couple years ago on sale and I think they may have even been a year old at that point.

This is what the satellites look like. 

JrrK0k1.jpg

• Moderators

I have not personally heard the HD Theater Series.  What I have learned over the years is size matters when it comes to audio.  If you want BIG, impacting sound, it's difficult to get that in a small satellite speaker.  For $300, I'm sure they sound ok.  You can get away with having not as beefy surrounds but the center and the sub are IMO two of the most important elements for Home Theater.  If at all possible, don't skimp on these.

• Like 1

I actually have two subs, the one that you linked to as well as an almost identical polk audio. I can't really have them both on, as it just destroys my upstairs neighbours place with bass. So I run the Klipsch and the odd time run them both to listen to wu tang or madonna. I know, serious taste over here. The center does need replacing as I have a hard time keeping the spoken levels high enough to keep up with the bose left and right, but not sure what I should be looking at. I've played music quite loud in multi channel surround and the satellites seem to have no problem at the levels I can comfortably use, but maybe i'm missing out on clarity that I just won't observe until i've tried it? Pardon the cable management, I've just moved and don't want to start zip tying until I've got everyting just the way I like it.

S57lwUB.jpg

FWIW the reciever is a Denon AVR-1912, and i still have two satellites not in use from the box set but don't really see a point in having 7.1 in my current setup as the room does not accomodate it.

Edited by aenus

I'd replace the Bose with your spare two. Might like the sound a bit better. I don't know if the Quintet's sit above or below the HD series. I think there was an Image theater configuration too that was fairly decent not that long ago. I think the best small speakers I've ever heard were the RSX line...those put out serious sound for small speakers even without a sub.

My dad has the hd500 and its ok. Weakest link is center channel. Like youth said big sound only comes from bigger speakers. If you want more clarity get a big center. But then your mains will be drowned out easily. It's a slippery slope when you start upgrading. Lol

I'd replace the Bose with your spare two. Might like the sound a bit better. 

I have the hd300 series I used in an old set up. Go with the 3 same fronts and get a SPL app for phone and level match them to MLP. They need it to show off what they can do. But in here you're gonna get "bigger is better a lot!" and for good reason!

Good luck with set up!