Hi again ya all

Cal Blacksmith

• Moderators
I hope your wife’s condition starts improving.

True but I would imagine when he is home all the time her blood pressure will go up ?    Standard complaint of many wives

• Like 1

It is hard watching tools (I work in tooling) that you spent 6 months or more making, some 3 stories high and 150 feet long with details set to 0.007 of an inch, destroyed by a metal munching monster at the end of an excavator in minutes then be loaded into waiting semi trucks sold as scrap metal. We have destroyed thousands of tools and there is still a big list to go!

Not sure whether you will relate at all, but not too long ago I found a documentary called "Linotype, the Movie" that was an incredibly detailed piece on how the Linotype made the 20th century and brought cheap newspapers and books to all.  Then computers came.  What I saw as I read your words above watching machines you devoted so much to destroyed was imagery in that film of Linotype machines, one of the marvels of human engineering made obsolete in a decade by computer typesetting, being shoved out a second floor window to crash to the ground and be picked up as scrap. 

OK, maybe a stretch...but the image came from feeling your pain. 

Dave

I remember as a kid helping my dad melt down buckets of linotype for use in bullet molds.  Though, not before I saved enough letters to spell my name and a few choice words.  

Welcome back Cal!  

• Like 1

Heartwell park, just around the corner!

The main plant closed years ago so I am at Wardlow and Cherry, in the smaller building to the left side facing the airport.

Lineotype, ya pretty much gone along with all the machines to make it.

Does anyone remember ... KEY PUNCH operators? or tax refund checks with "do not spindle fold or mutilate" printed on computer punch cards?

I would post a pic of some of the tools used but as I am still working here and don't want to take a chance of getting fired just a few weeks from mandatory layoff, I won't. 

We had hoped to be able to hang in there with production and get into the C17 -2 a longer evolution of the AC but ... thanks Obama.

• Like 1

Early Retirement is GREAT.

Im on year two.

Nov i could apply if i choose, could is the key word, will look into waiting if the numbers are indeed better.

First year i recommed you do nothing, meaning comit to nothing, have some coffee, and do what you feel like.

post-57941-0-23180000-1438097621_thumb.j

Do nothing, I like that!

Going on two hours now. I stopped at the dealer for a quick oil change. They found a disconnected support for the alternator. They are covering it on the warranty so free. I think I know what happened but I'm not saying. I guess I am taking half a day vacation to cover my time here. I just had a doctor appointment and stopped for a quick oil change. It is a good thing that i amold school with changes. Mtg says 10k miles but I freak oit at the 4500 on it now. Had I waited, it would have been out of warranty. Just time is the cost LOL

We had hoped to be able to hang in there with production and get into the C17 -2 a longer evolution of the AC but ... thanks Obama.

WTF are we going to do when the 'real' war with our enemies start? Never stop praying for our children and their children.