Sugar- another potentially addictive substance

tube fanatic

It's my opinion that the gov't subsidy of corn syrup directly contributes to the obesity and diabetes crisis we are seeing in the US. And it's particularly bad here in Iowa. When I make a trip to just about anywhere, when i get back, I'm struck by how many people are just too damn fat. It used to be just adults were fat. Now it's the kids too.

I've live in Iowa nearly all of my life, and make no mistake - the farm bureau rules. Clean water? - forget it. Clean air? - sometimes.

• Like 2

It's my opinion that the gov't subsidy of corn syrup directly contributes to the obesity and diabetes crisis we are seeing in the US.

On the good side, you can buy 6 ears of corn for $1.00 in the local grocery store.  Oven-roasted corn...  What a healthy, delicious bargain!  Good, fresh corn on the cob is so sweet, it doesn't need all the extra butter, salt, pepper, etc.

Put the ears of corn, husk and all, in the oven and bake at 325 F for 45 minutes.  It's well worth the wait.

Edited by Jeff Matthews
  • Like 1

I have successfully kicked sugar. My Glucose went from 125 to 99-105. Doctors say fruit sugars are ok. I took a reading 8 times a day to see what was going on. A small meal would jump it to 172 then it would return to normal about a couple hours later. One time I ate a small Texas pink grapefruit and the sugar went to 262 the highest I ever saw on the meter then recovered later. I assume my system doesn't like grapefruits. I also now use wheat bread for all bread products. No Soda pop, wine, Bush beans, French Dressing, etc. as they are all saturated/loaded with sugar. No sugar in coffee either. If I do eat a piece of cake it tastes like a pure sugar bowl. No Ice Cream or yogurt, no cookies either. Sugar free dark chocolate candy is ok with alcohol sugars as it only half a-- affects you. My Cholesterol went down and my blood pressure when down 20 points. My weight went down 30 pounds. My BMI is now normal. Why did I drastically change my diet? My new doctor is a young female and very attractive so I decided to listen to her.

JJK

• Like 3

It's my opinion that the gov't subsidy of corn syrup directly contributes to the obesity and diabetes crisis we are seeing in the US.

On the good side, you can buy 6 ears of corn for $1.00 in the local grocery store.  Oven-roasted corn...  What a healthy, delicious bargain!  Good, fresh corn on the cob is so sweet, it doesn't need all the extra butter, salt, pepper, etc.

Put the ears of corn, husk and all, in the oven and bake at 325 F for 45 minutes.  It's well worth the wait.

Corn used to produce corn syrup and animal feed constitutes about 95% (this data a few years old) of total corn production. Only about 5% is the "sweet corn" that humans can eat.

Sorry, your post has nothing to do with my post. (not trying to be "mean", just trying to clarify).

• Like 1

Sugar? Fergettaboutit. Worst than anything. Stop eating anything with sugar, and stop all grains, all flour, all breads. You will become skinny and healthy as horse automatically.

Fruit, vegetables, nuts an seeds!

I eat alot of fruit and GRAINS and breads - I weighed 125 lbs when I was 16. I'm now 54 and I weigh 125 lbs. I do not believe Grains\breads are bad for you (subjective).

Probably a moderation factor there. Too much of anything is not good.

Don't get me wrong, I like what you say and it's a good thing.

• Like 2

Bread and grain is controversial.

1. These highly processed and engineered foods are new to modern man. Not necessary, and not yielding good results.

2. Dr. Wm. Davis contend that modern hybrid wheat contains a protein that excites the hunger switch in brain. The more you eat, the more you want. Result? Obesity epidemic.

3. Stop wheat for two weeks you no longer even miss it.

4. Of you are overweight, weight loss occurs easily when you stop grains.

5. Wheat is totally not essential to nutrition.

6. Wheat glutens are becoming ubiquitous in processed foods. About them like the plague.

7. If you have diabetes these simple carbs are very bad.

8. Government says EIGHT servings a day of whole grains!! Lol complete BS! but I bet lots of people follow the government recommendation with faith!

Want to feel 18 again? Give up breads grains!

• Like 2

Bread and grain is controversial.

1. These highly processed and engineered foods are new to modern man. Not necessary, and not yielding good results.

2. Dr. Wm. Davis contend that modern hybrid wheat contains a protein that excites the hunger switch in brain. The more you eat, the more you want. Result? Obesity epidemic.

3. Stop wheat for two weeks you no longer even miss it.

4. Of you are overweight, weight loss occurs easily when you stop grains.

5. Wheat is totally not essential to nutrition.

6. Wheat glutens are becoming ubiquitous in processed foods. About them like the plague.

7. If you have diabetes these simple carbs are very bad.

8. Government says EIGHT servings a day of whole grains!! Lol complete BS! but I bet lots of people follow the government recommendation with faith!

The topic is, indeed, controversial:

http://nogluten-noproblem.com/2012/03/wheat-belly-busted.html

About a year ago I significantly reduced my intake of:

1. Sugar

2. Artificial Sweeteners (diet soda!)

3. Salt

4. Caffeine

Cutting down helped such a great deal. In my specific situation, I'd would definitely say that artificial sweeteners were having the biggest negative impact on my 'well being'. Blurred vision, dizziness, headaches, anxiety are hopefully a thing of the past.

Any good alternatives you can suggest?

I grew up on white bread and in recent years my wife has been packing my lunches with different types of 'whole grain' breads in an attempt to be more health conscious but from some of the things I've read here and there I don't know what's good and what's not. I'm still very uninformed on this but that needs to change.